Surefire M8?

Lara

Newly Enlightened
Someone at a local gun shop (where I hoped to find an L4 to have a look, no luck though.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif) told me that Surefire was working on a new flagship model featuring a 750 lumens burner. Is that true? Anybody knows more about this?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Did you say 750 lumens? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif I got to see this light. I haven't heard of it, but I sure hope it's true.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire work on many things. Only a fraction are ever released to the public.
Would you care to share details of your source?

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would doubt it...

first of all, i would expect someone here would know about it way before a local gunshop, and i'm sure the information would have been leaked by now.

furthermore, i doubt surefire would pursue 750lumens from an incandescant source (i'm assuming an m8 would be incan), when there are other options such as hid (which they are persuing, but i don't believe they've found anything they're quite satisfied with)

this is just opinion by an onlooker..i know less about surefire and their products than many on this forum, but i just don't see it happening.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
First of all, i would expect someone here would know about it way before a local gunshop ...

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the guy working in the shop who said this, it was another customer who came up when he overheard me asking if they had the Surefire L4 in stock.

Since I am flirting with an M4 or M6, I would really like to know if they come up with a new light in this category.

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Surefire work on many things.

[/ QUOTE ]
My fantasies were already going wild before you said that!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps HID isn't a viable option due to the warm-up time required. an M8 doesn't sound all that impossible or impractical....since surefire doesn't release information about upcoming products i think even cpf members might not be aware of it. there's also always a first time for everything, including the source of new information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the guy was confused and was talking about the KL8?
(But theres no way a 5 watt LS will kick out 750 lumens)

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are at least three different types of miniature HID lamp. One of these, I believe the short arc xenon, is able of instant start.
I believe, if the news reported from Lara is true, it refers to the HID. A 750 lumen converts roughly to a 60 Watt incandescent lamp, calling for a string of twenty 123s lithium batteries for one hour of light, or ten 123s for 20 minutes.
On the opposite, a 15 Watt HID, giving 750 lumens of light, has 3 - 4 times less the above mentioned battery requirement.

Anthony

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
but if sf was working on an hid, wouldn't they use a different naming structure, rather than the m8, which would imply an m6 with 8 cells?

and yes, the news has to come from somewhere...but from a guy at a gunshop?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
now that is a BAD subject !!!
I just managed to explain my newly acquired M6 to my love, and now this! I am drooling again ...
bernhard

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Obviously, I take this with a grain of salt, but....
Why couldn't information come from somewhere else than here?
And why can't it be from a gun shop?
I have been to many... I'm sure a lot of other have been too.
Does elsewhere = false?

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
No point in worrying about who is right or any of this because at this point it is pure speculation with one unverified/secondary source. We should probably just wait for more people to start hearing about it, which would mean it is true. As for now, if it is true, I think it's probably an HID.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
but if sf was working on an hid, wouldn't they use a different naming structure, rather than the m8, which would imply an m6 with 8 cells?

and yes, the news has to come from somewhere...but from a guy at a gunshop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on such a naming convention, then there is also an M9 (I've seen it, held it, shone it around the room and blinded myself, it is in-f*cking-credible) but no further details are allowed to be put forth at this time since it is one of those "prototype"-types that may, or may Never, see production.

If I told any more I'd have to blind y'all, then turn the light on my own eyes as well...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Floating Spots said:
Obviously, I take this with a grain of salt, but....
Why couldn't information come from somewhere else than here?
And why can't it be from a gun shop?
I have been to many... I'm sure a lot of other have been too.
Does elsewhere = false?

[/ QUOTE ]

where would you expect to hear about a new prototype car...a carshow, or a supermarket?
of course, even in that analogy, one can assume that there are more car fanatics than flashlight fanatics.

no, it doesn't mean it's false, but i would certainly expect to hear it from someone here than a guy at a gunshop. espiecally a gunshop halfway around the world.

nor did i say the claim was "false". i said i doubt it's accuracy, and i think many others do also.

AB0WA

Newly Enlightened
Courtesy of Adobe Photoshop (and Sean's Flashlight Site) here is the much hyped Surefire M8!
M8.jpg

and here is a beam shot with the M8 on the left, M6 on the right:
beamshot001.jpg

Notice that the M8 has set the target wall on fire!

Some other information on the M8:
uses 1 CR123, 750 lumen output, 2.5 sec. run time

ToddM

Enlightened
Heh I'd hate to have that go off in your eye's while you were cleaning it :p

That said, I wouldn't be surprized to see surefire info trickle in from other sources before here. Most everyone here that is in the no is probalby told to be quiet. Not sure it would be a gun shop, but hey there's probably a lot of LEO's that have more info than the public does on surefire's and they tend to frequent gun shops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif