Questions about fitting 3 AAA's in place of 2 c's...

Dougzilla

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade my task force 3w to use 6 AAA's instead of 2 c's....

First question is, what are those things called that can replace a C battery with 3 AAA?
I need the exact name of them so i can search the net for them.

Second question is, can i just replace them like i intended, or do i need to do other modifications so i wont fry my flashlight? Im trust trying to increase the runtime on this flashlight, which is already not bad....
Its a TaskForce 3w LED from Lowes, luxeon emitter, not the new Cree one.....

-Doug

MorePower

Enlightened
How would using 6 AAA cells increase runtime over using 2 C cells? Using alkaline or NiMH cells, you still get lower capacity from 6 AAA cells.

Are you planning on running the AAA cells in series or parallel? Running 6 AAA cells in series will almost certainly fry the boost circuit in that light, and the LED along with it.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Why not upgrade to 2x26500 Li-Ion? This is an Upgrade... ;) But it's the question what you're trying to run with that, because you come to 8.4V with 2 of these and Capacity should be around 2.300-3.000mAh, which is a lot more than 6xAAA will bring you.

Dougzilla

Newly Enlightened
oh i thought 6 AAAs would be longer runtime. good thing i asked in here first.

Im trying to increase the runtime of my Taskforce 3w led flashlight. Thats the goal.

would using the 2x 26500 fry this flashlight?

This battery stuff confuses me still LOL

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
You're not going to top 2 C cells for runtime I'd think. Maybe modding to replace the driver circuit with one that has multiple modes so you dont have to use full power all the time.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
If you don't do anything else on the driver, it will fry the rest of the light with 2x26500 (~8.4V off the charger). So, think about a complete upgrade...The capacity of AAA is around...700 mAh max and 1.2V and the capacity of 2 Rechargables is maybe...3000 or 3500mAh? In points of capacity is doesn't make sense to do an upgrade from C to AAA.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the easiest way is to put in a resistor to limit the current more which would dim the light some. I took apart a tail cap switch and put in a resistor in the switch circuit to reduce power to a 3AAA light which boosted runtime by 50%