Surefire L1 Digital Lumamax: FlashlightReviews.com

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
Pyrex

Any thoughts on why the Pyrex lens? I know Pyrex takes heat well. Maybe it's scratch-resistant. But having dropped beakers and other Pyrex containers, I can say it's certainly not shatter-resistant, which I would think is important in a Rough Use light.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Re: Pyrex

It has 8-10% improved light transmission, heat and scratch resistance, and tempered Pyrex should stand up to impact better than those beakers. Although Lexan is indestructible, I think Pyrex is far superior for use as a flashlight lens.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The L1 Digital Lumamax I have does not have a scalloped bezel - must have been something that was added since I got mine. And I think my lens is acrylic, not pyrex...nope, it wouldn't scratch with the tip of a SAK blade, so maybe it really is pyrex. The reflection is distorted like plastic though, not smooth like glass. But the reflection doesn't change when I smoosh a knife tip in the middle, so it MUST be glass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

L1 seems like a well made and functional light, but ridiculously oversized considering it's basically an Arc LS with an unregulated low-brightness mode. I figure it's sort of a technology trial for a forthcoming 5 watt model.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boy, do we need some batteries with MORE mAh's than these 123's. Some sort of 3 AA holder to increase run time. Side by side 123's ? Something....

An hour run time makes me feel like I'm back with all my 2/123 Xenons. Start, run, dead.......

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened

So far so good with my lens... my L1 has somehow came off my duty belt three times. Twice on concrete and once on tile. Maybe it slowed itself down before impact with the same wings it flew off with initially? Seriously, the pyrex lens appears to be a bit stronger than the labware I've used/broken. (Of course I stuff it in the back of a utility holster now, just to be on the safe side. I might just take the clip off now.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif