Surefire UB3T Invictus (XM-L, 3xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS + more!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Surefire diffuser today - Does a fantastic job of opening up the beam!:thumbsup: Thanks for adding it in your review - turned this light into a keeper for me.

Surefire has some left - well worth the price folks.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems they made an amazing job with the TIR optic, but when it comes to throw you can get the same with the reflector (Catapult) and in adition you have a nice spill, which is usefull.

iapyx

Enlightened
Barbarin said:
It seems they made an amazing job with the TIR optic, but when it comes to throw you can get the same with the reflector (Catapult) and in adition you have a nice spill, which is usefull.

Have you had the luck to try one out?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review, really appreciate the effort you've gone too.
Now to sell a kidney ;-)
Thanks, but LOL. :laughing:

I realize the unique beam profile of the UB3T may be appealing, but the price does lead to sticker shock. There are certainly much less expensive options that provide equivalent throw (albeit with more spill). The Thrunite Catapult certainly comes to mind - and they also offer an optional diffuser cover (haven't tested it, but it looks similar to the Surefire one).

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you had the luck to try one out?

Well, I was not that lucky, but I have tried probably thousand reflectors and optics on field test, real world use, and I know what I say. Peripheral light, the one you get on the corona, is pretty important for your vision system, so not using this capability has no point. What is more, on a light which is theoretically aimed to a tactical use you are missing what is coming from the sides... which is usually what is more dangerous. Those who want to kill you don't come upfront. You saw the pics... Can you tell me how many people or threaths can you see on the sides of the road?

Javier

Rotophoto

Newly Enlightened
I love the diffuser we recently purchased directly from Surefire. We go on long walks at night, and with the diffuser attached, the UB3T will light up the path in front of you simular to the Surefire saint on the lower settings. We also have found another great use for the UB3T. Now with the shorter days, we have to take our Whippet and IG to the soccer field for their run. The field is very dark with an artificial turf. Without the diffuser we can find our hounds at ease. We also discovered another great feature. It will charge on the high setting, a glow at night chuck-it ball in a matter of seconds verses minutes with an ordinary light. One thing we have noticed that does not happen with our other surefire lights is when the batteries run low the light flickers which is quite obnoxious even if you twist the UB3T to its lowest setting. On our other surefire's they usually operate with usable light output until the light can't be activated al all. After over a month of use we are on our second set of batteries. We both feel that the ring settings should be Off, then the lowest setting up to the highest oupiut setting. Then Strobe and SOS after that. It would be nice for to be able to activate the Strobe on any setting with multiple quick pushes on the tail switch. If you wanted to disorient an attacker in the dark it makes no sense to fumble with the selector ring for the strobe activation.

I sure hope Surefire will still make available the diffuser (in black) in the future. It makes for tremendous flexibililty using the UB3T in practical night illumination situations.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a UB3T and love it. The diffuser is a must for up close. I found that even my Olight diffuser for my SR51 fits perfectly, even makes it even floodier than the surefire diffuses.

alex

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I've noticed there's been a signficant price drop in the UB3T recently (I gather Surefire has done this for a number of lights recently). Estimated street price is now <$400, main post updated.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
any chance of getting a runtime graph using 17500's from you selfbuilt? i know with the head being non-removable you risk the cells geting stuck, but if its in the name of science...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
any chance of getting a runtime graph using 17500's from you selfbuilt? i know with the head being non-removable you risk the cells geting stuck, but if its in the name of science...
Sorry, don't have any 17500 cells.

Based on my experience, 2x18500 cells typically give time to 50% runtimes pretty close to 3xCR123A (the difference is CR123A tends to drop off gradually, whereas 18500 cuts out quickly). Based on rated capacity difference with 17500, I would assume no more three-quarters the max runtime.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Saw some discussion in other threads of the relative spill of the UB3T compared to other lights. The UB3T definitely has a relatively narrow beam with little spill. However, it has more spill than the pic below illustrates:

UB3T-Cat3-BC40.gif

As discussed in my latest 100-yard beamshot round-up thread, I find these pics all seem somewhat underexposed relative to what my eye sees in real life. It's hard to find good overall exposure settings for these outdoor shots - either you give an advantage to spill comparisons (i.e., overexposed), or throw comparisons (i.e., underexposed).

You will never find a single exposure that matches all the dynamic filtering our eyes and brain do when processing a scene. And since the goal of these shots was to compare the throw, I've erred more on the side of under-exposed side of things. :wave:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,
Do you happen to see or know how long green battery indicator last after turning on the light on max. output level with brand new cells?
( Does the green turn the orange in a few sceond? )

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you happen to see or know how long green battery indicator last after turning on the light on max. output level with brand new cells? ( Does the green turn the orange in a few sceond? )
I don't recall how long it was with brand new cells, but with slightly used cells, it does turn from green to orange very quickly on the max level. Presumably the voltage sag under high load is enough to trigger the sensor shift.

FYI, this review is fairly old now, and it's possible things have changed. I understand for example that recent versions have a different optic, with a less squarely-focused beam. But I haven't seen one personally. :shrug:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall how long it was with brand new cells, but with slightly used cells, it does turn from green to orange very quickly on the max level. Presumably the voltage sag under high load is enough to trigger the sensor shift.

FYI, this review is fairly old now, and it's possible things have changed. I understand for example that recent versions have a different optic, with a less squarely-focused beam. But I haven't seen one personally. :shrug:

I heard the recent version came out, and has a different optic as well. Your kind reply is very helpful & informative. Thanks a lot! :)

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
I heard the recent version came out, and has a different optic as well. Your kind reply is very helpful & informative. Thanks a lot! :)

I just received my UB3T a few days ago. Here are some shots of the optic:

ub3t2.jpg

ub3t.jpg

I can take some higher quality photos if anyone would like.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
gmf2010, how are you liking the UB3T? I am considering purchasing one, and would like some feedback from actual owners. You can either post here or PM me. Thanks.