Surefire UB3T Invictus (XM-L, 3xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS + more!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the positive opinions about this review.
But around 30minutes runtime until the drop I consider too short runtime at the highest mode. So I think I will pass in this case...

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the positive opinions about this review.
But around 30minutes runtime until the drop I consider too short runtime at the highest mode. So I think I will pass in this case...

actually i was a bit suprised to see some regulation on this light. these high output lights running on just 3 primaries have had a hard time of getting any regulation at all. the only light with better regulation than the UB3T in the 3xCR123 graph is the skillhunt X3 which puts out 250 less lumens on max.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you happen to have any spacers?
I'd like to see if 2 spacers + 1 new cr123A gives you anything besides red.
1 spacer + 2 new cr123A gives green up to what level?

and Surefire should change their pricing to, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it'

oldways

Enlightened
actually i was a bit suprised to see some regulation on this light. these high output lights running on just 3 primaries have had a hard time of getting any regulation at all. the only light with better regulation than the UB3T in the 3xCR123 graph is the skillhunt X3 which puts out 250 less lumens on max.

I could be wrong but i think the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L does 750 OTF for around 60 minutes on three CR123.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you happen to have any spacers?
Sorry, don't have spacers of the right size for a CR123A. But I know from experience on AA-sized spacers that they can introduce some unusual effects, so can be hard to interpret the results.

I could be wrong but i think the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L does 750 OTF for around 60 minutes on three CR123.
Haven't tested a Hound Dog, but I rather doubt anyone can pull 60 mins of fully regulated ~750 lumens on 3xCR123A with the current XM-L output bins. The UB3T is performing better than any of my other 3xCR123A XM-L lights at its Max level (I'm going to guess U2-bin here - the others were likely T6-bin). But I suppose it's possible Malkoff has a super efficient driver. The cells may also have something do with it - I'll redo my max runtimes here with made-in-the-USA cells, and see if things change.

BTW, in case it isn't clear on the graphs, the initial output of the UB3T is initially higher, but quickly drops to its quasi-regulated ~800 lumen level. At ignition, I would peg it as ~10% brighter, but it drops down to ~800 lumens within 30 secs to 1 min. But as always, take my actual lumen estimates with a big grain of salt (I don't have a calibrated integrating sphere). Still, the relative comparison of outputs within and between lights is valid.

EDIT: here is the comparison to Rayovac made-in-the-USA (believed to be same cells as other common USA-brands)

UB3T-MaxCR123A.gif

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
I just had a discussion at home with my wife about the position of the SOS and strobe on the selector ring and she just came with a very simple solution. Why didn't they use braille so you can feel what level is selected. One small braille dot at each level and two braille dots at both the lowest and highest level. Strobe and SOS don't need a braille dot since those two can be found easilly at the far ends. Of course another dot or stripe at the ring to feel what level is chosen. I think the white stripes that are present now will wear out eventually. I hope SF is listening.

radu1976

Enlightened
Great review Eric ! Absolutely great !
It seems that the old TIROS INOVA style is back, inside of INVICTUS I can see the same pattern of optics which they used to be in the old INOVAs - T1,T2,T3, XO3 -
I am wondering if the beam projection is quite similar ... is it ? The throw seems really impressive and the sidespill not too bright . Does it have Saturn rings surrounding the hotspot ?

I wish INOVA realease a TIROS XM-L XO3 or T3 but those would probably be very floody, you need a large and deep bezel to focus an XM-L .

Rotophoto

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered an FM-24 by phone from Surefire. They have about few of them left in stock. You can't order them on line but you can order from customer service. I suppose when they run out they might think of making one the same color at the UB3T.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Why didn't they use braille so you can feel what level is selected. One small braille dot at each level and two braille dots at both the lowest and highest level.
I have to admit, that does make a certain amount of sense. Still, there is something inherently ironic around the idea of braille on a flashlight.

I can see the same pattern of optics which they used to be in the old INOVAs - T1,T2,T3, XO3 -I am wondering if the beam projection is quite similar ... is it ? The throw seems really impressive and the sidespill not too bright . Does it have Saturn rings surrounding the hotspot ?
It's been awhie since I handled one of those Inovas, so can't say for sure. I don't see any evidence of the infamous Saturn rings on the UB3T. And the sidespill is even dimmer than other lights I have that use an optic. They clearly spent some time optimizing the optic for this light.

Just ordered an FM-24 by phone from Surefire. They have about few of them left in stock. You can't order them on line but you can order from customer service.
Excellent news, good idea to call them direcly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as the old Inova TIROS goes, I for one was very happy when they switched over to a traditional reflector. I still have my old TIROS Inova T2.

Throw was great! But you ended up playing "follow the bouncing ball," as that was exactly what you got out of the old Inova optic. A beam of light that looked like a narrow ball which you had to move all over the place to see anything that wasn't literally directly in front of the narrow beam.

When turboBB and I compared his M3LT with my M6, I noticed that the beam from his M3LT actually spread out quite a bit when distance was increased. Basically you got plenty of useful spill that, ironically, was all hotspot that simply spread open over distance.

iapyx

Enlightened
As far as the old Inova TIROS goes, I for one was very happy when they switched over to a traditional reflector. I still have my old TIROS Inova T2.

Throw was great! But you ended up playing "follow the bouncing ball," as that was exactly what you got out of the old Inova optic. A beam of light that looked like a narrow ball which you had to move all over the place to see anything that wasn't literally directly in front of the narrow beam.

When turboBB and I compared his M3LT with my M6, I noticed that the beam from his M3LT actually spread out quite a bit when distance was increased. Basically you got plenty of useful spill that, ironically, was all hotspot that simply spread open over distance.

Monocrom, that is exactly my observation when I compared the UB3T with the LX2. It's a comparison that I would like to do again soon, but I noticed too that the UB3T spread out when the distance was increased. Initially I was a bit disappointed about it (something wrong with the TIR in the UB3T I thought). The LX2 beam seemed to stay tighter. During one test it was foggy outside and in my observation the LX2 did a better job in the fog. Later I realised that the test was not done with the both the lights at max, so 800 vs 200 lumens. Not really honest, but it gave an impression. Can't wait to compare them again.

conclusion: UB3T is a spot light for middle range? I don't have many other lights to compare, so I can't judge on this.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even it does a good job,
The diffuser seems to be poorly-made for that price...
Edges on the plastic arent even smoothened

"30 lumens (stage 6) has a very noticeable PWM-like effect that I would estimate matches 126 Hz re-occurring signal. The lower level frequencies are still present, but have shifted somewhat."

Flashing and buzzing is obvious?

btw, will M6lt be reviewed? Expecting that:hitit::hitit:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've done a Max output test on Rayovac made-in-the-USA batteries (manufacture date code April 18, 2011), to compare to my standard Titanium Innovation cells (no date code, but were purchased within the last two months, same as the Rayovacs). The Rayovacs are believed to be the same batteries as other USA-brands such as battery station, energizer, etc (and maybe even panasonic/surefire).

UB3T-MaxCR123A.gif

Although this is a n=1 experiment, it is interesting to note the Rayovacs dropped out of regulation faster, but provided more light overall during the exhaustion phase of the cells. I have noticed this pattern before, relative to the Titanium cells (i.e. they seem hold regulation well, but deplete more quickly once nearly out of juice).

That's a good description, and you can see it in my 100-yard beamshot. The hotspot keeps wideing into the distance, in an even fashion. This is something you don't see on reflectored lights.

"30 lumens (stage 6) has a very noticeable PWM-like effect Flashing and buzzing is obvious?
It is not so much "flashing" as a slightly stroboscopic effect, especially noticeable in the periphery of your vision. Many people tend to associate it with moving objects, but it doesn't need to be - the rapid saccades of your eye (even when viewing static scenes) can be enough to triger the perception in those who are sensitive to it. Sensitivity to PWM is highly variable - those who are not sensitive to it will not notice it all on the UB3T, those who are (myself included) will likely only notice it on the 30 lumen level.

There is absolutely no buzzing on my UB3T, at any level. It is something of a common misconception here that buzzing is associated with PWM. Buzzing is believed to be a symptom of inductor whine, and it can occur on current-controlled lights as well (i.e. it has more to do with the exact layout of the circuit and interference being picked up by the inductor). I think the association comes from the fact that it is more common on inexpensive lights where the circuit design was not given enough attention, which also happen to commonly be PWM-based. But in my experience, it does not in any way correlate with the presence of PWM, or its frequency. When present, it seems to be associated most closely with specific drive currents or voltages on susceptible circuits (i.e. you hear it louder on some levels or some battery sources).

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
conclusion: UB3T is a spot light for middle range? I don't have many other lights to compare, so I can't judge on this.

It's definetely a long range flashlight as long as the throw on TURBO is 40,000 lux , so 4 x times more than the LX2 .
Even on the next level - 9 - , around 500 lumens according to Selfbuilt's measurements it should put more than double of LX2 lux .
That light is made for throw .
500 lumens and a good throw for LEVEL 9 , seems decent as long as the regulation is good for 3hrs using 3 x CR123 . If 2 x 17500 cells would also provide a good regulation that would be another PRO .

iapyx

Enlightened
It's definetely a long range flashlight as long as the throw on TURBO is 40,000 lux , so 4 x times more than the LX2 .
Even on the next level - 9 - , around 500 lumens according to Selfbuilt's measurements it should put more than double of LX2 lux .
That light is made for throw .
500 lumens and a good throw for LEVEL 9 , seems decent as long as the regulation is good for 3hrs using 3 x CR123 . If 2 x 17500 cells would also provide a good regulation that would be another PRO .

It depends a bit on what you consider long range. Some will consider 250 meters long range, others consider 1000 meters long range. I'm not experienced enough to judge on that. I know that the UB3T doesn't reach 1000 meters. There are lights that do reach 1000 meters and more. Maybe those are considered spotlights?

On a side note: 800 lumens (UB3T)is twice as bright as 200 lumens (LX2). You need 4x as many lumens to double the output (to the human eye).

iapyx

Enlightened
selfbuilt said:
I have to admit, that does make a certain amount of sense. Still, there is something inherently ironic around the idea of braille on a flashlight.
Of course I understand what you find ironic about it but aren't we all blind at night? In the dark I can't see the white stripes that correspond with the 11 settings on my UB3T

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I understand what you find ironic about it but aren't we all blind at night? In the dark I can't see the white stripes that correspond with the 11 settings on my UB3T

Yep, the irony is not lost on me either. A flashlight user interface that is difficult to operate in the dark. Sure, you can bring another light to see the white stripes and avoid unwanted modes. But it really would be nice to have some tactile feedback like a bump or something to let you know the next click down will be the two lumen Min and not an 800 lumen SOS blast.

You can use the light like an LX2 with a low setting on the selector ring and tighten the tailcap fully for Max but sometimes Max is too much for my purposes on the high setting. The old SF U2 switch is so much easier to use, you call always dial it up or down to the stop and know where you are with the light off or on. Henry's HDS Rotary is the same way, and it also has the fancy blinking modes but they are hidden behind coded clicks in the tailcap switch.

Wonder if the awkwardly placed SOS mode was added to the UB3T late in the game in response to some government contract requirement? Or maybe there was originally a one lumen mode that wasn't stable and the the other modes had already been tested and coded into the firmware so SOS was added instead? There was apparently an emitter change from 400 to 800 lumens at some point from past posts here. Also, I believe a four-die emitter is mentioned in some of the earlier SF advertising.

The optics on the light really pack a punch. Since it is adjustable in brightness, you can turn it down to visually compare beams with other lights. The UB3T has very little spill in the far field, much less than an LX2 to my eyes. As a result, most of the energy is packed in the tight spot which is great for seeing something in the distance but maybe not as good for a general search.