Surefire UB3T Invictus (XM-L, 3xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS + more!

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
What's the maximum throw on a Surefire UB3T Invictus?

I can't seem to find any numbers on how far it throws on the max setting. Anyone know?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What's the maximum throw on a Surefire UB3T Invictus?

I find 0.25 lux too little, when I tested mine in pitch darkness and with dark adapted eyes, I found it to give enough light to around 130 meters. Then the target is hit with approximately 2 lux. If your objective is to light up a white object against a dark background, then the throw will of course be much better, probably 260+ meters in optimal conditions.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the maximum throw on a Surefire UB3T Invictus?

I find 0.25 lux too little, when I tested mine in pitch darkness and with dark adapted eyes, I found it to give enough light to around 130 meters. Then the target is hit with approximately 2 lux. If your objective is to light up a white object against a dark background, then the throw will of course be much better, probably 260+ meters in optimal conditions.
260 meters? That's it? I would assume 800 otf lumens and an optic design for throw and no spill will do a hell of alot better than that. Kinda dissapointing.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I just had a question. Can you use some rechargeable batteries with this light? I am new to alot of this terminology. Basically just looking to see what options there are to use rechargeable batteries (and which ones)? Thank you.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hey guys, I just had a question. Can you use some rechargeable batteries with this light? I am new to alot of this terminology. Basically just looking to see what options there are to use rechargeable batteries (and which ones)? Thank you.
Surefire doesn't want you to use rechargeables in the light, so they don't make it easy for you. 3xt3.7V RCR would presumably blow the circuit. Even 3x3.2V Li-ion would exceed specs and risk damage. In theory, 2x3.7V Li-ion could work, but the body bore width is too narrow for 18500 cells. If you could find 17500 cells, they may fit and work in the light. But your are presumably voiding your warranty if you do, since it outside their supported cells.

I would recommend you just buy quality CR123A cells, as Surefire intended.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply selfbuilt. Are there no rechargeable CR123A's that are exactly 3V?

Sorry if the question is stupid, I am new to rechargeable batteries.

Roman

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several people have reported that they have successfully used 17500 cells in it, I haven't tried myself since I don't feel there is a need since it gives me more than 6 hours at 160 lumens.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for your reply selfbuilt. Are there no rechargeable CR123A's that are exactly 3V?
Sorry if the question is stupid, I am new to rechargeable batteries.
Probably best if you ask the experts in the batteries subforum. But simply put, there's a difference between nominal voltage (i.e. "typical" over the charge capacity of the cell), and maximum voltage when fully charged. That latter one is what you have to watch for - the common "3.7V Li-ion" is in fact ~4.2V fully charged. Not sure about all the supposed "3.0V" or "3.2V" nominal cells, but I imagine a lot of those make it up ~3.6-3.7V fully charged. Standard "3V" is also typically ~3.2V fully charged.

Again, the experts in the batteris subforum can help you out further. :)

Stainz

Enlightened
I just thought, after finally getting a new Invictus recently, that I would thank you for your great review - and additional remarks, too. Great work! When I first saw your review ~ 2 yr ago, I never thought I could afford such a thrower. I am glad I could - finally. I just wonder how most owners employ their Invictus - and tote it, too (Separate thread started in LED Flashlights.). Thanks again!

Stainz

GolfGolf

Newly Enlightened
Just got the UB3T, and I must say it is awesome!! By far the best "big" light I own.