New (used?) Surefire...

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOTE: I want to preface this by saying that I DO NOT want to start any flaming wars or bashing, please just keep it strictly to the subject at hand as all I'm simply asking for is an opinion on how the situation (below) was possible.

Hi guys,

Need some opinions here from SF owners. I was pretty stoked as I finally pulled the trigger on my very first SF, an E1E. I was planning to send the head to Scott to be upgraded to a Creemator or to grab a E2DL so I could use its head and tail on the E1E. The light was purchased from a reputable dealer out on the west coast and I finally got the light today after a slight delay since it was backordered.

Upon removing it from the outer cardboard wrap, I inspected the light carefully and noticed that it seems to be used. Not sure how this is possible since the plastic hard warp is intact and seems to be all original. However, if it's not used then I don't know how one can explain the marks on this light.

I've contacted the dealer already and I'm sure they will make it right but I was just wondering if any of you SF owners have ever experienced anything like this? Also, based on the pics below, do you think this was used and repackaged somehow?

Thx,
Tim

Brand new w/plastic wrapping intact:
4458872588_2333a59ce7.jpg
4458093173_dce1232016.jpg

And here are the various marks I found on the light:
4458873036_ef193d4194.jpg
4458093237_7fd0467924.jpg

4458873004_cf9678b729.jpg
4458872968_52a2260646.jpg

4458872530_86304aef0f.jpg
4458872496_c04cea6a2d.jpg

4458093161_2791017f15.jpg
4458093075_2c2083ae7a.jpg

4458093041_8139c973cd.jpg
4458873058_517a6d46ee.jpg

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I have has several Surefires over the years and have never had one look like that. Surefire has very good quality control which is part of the reason they put out top quality products. I hope your situation is resolved quickly, customer service is what will bring you back over and over again!!!!!! There is no way that is a brand new light.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the light still in the wrapper? If so, I have bought new Surefire lights and noticed a similar thing. After opening the package, I realised the white stuff on the body of the light was actually dust from the friction between the HAIII body and the plastic package and it simply wipes off.

That might explain some of the 'marks', but that clip doesn't look pristine does it?

James.....

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the marks are just from the light scratching the plastic of the packaging.

Mine come like that all the time, and it just wipes off.

The pocket clips sometimes have markings on them from the tools they use to install them.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My E2L had similar marks. They were just the plastic flaking off onto the light body. It just wiped right off. I have to admit, I was WAY too excited to look over it that closely. I got lucky and it was just the plastic flaking off.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
IIRC, some members had such issues with the Winelights, where they looked used right away, because they had a softer ano (Type 2?) and they seemed to get scuffed a bit in production. (Don't freak if I got the details a bit off.)

But that seems very strange on a HA light. I too wonder if it's plastic dust, however in the 6th pic down, you can see the marks on a recessed area of the bezel that wouldn't come into contact with the clamshell case. That seems fishy to me. It sure doesn't look like dust. And in so many places? You'd have to put the package in a paint shaker.

My 6PD and L4 were pristine out of the package, so I would think something was up if I got that light too. I'd really love to see it removed from the package and wiped down to see if that's the problem or if it's truly ano damage.

csa

Enlightened
Yeah, I agree. The recessed damage looks odd to me. Talk to your dealer.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx a lot guys. I agree most areas are probably just plastic from chaffing and I'm tempted to remove it but as cited, that 6th pic w/marks on the recessed portion, it can't come in contact w/the plastic so that's most likely not due to chaffing. There's also the matter of that tail clip and those indents.

I had planned to keep this in the collection. Had it been relegated for tool use I wouldn't have mind since it's going to suffer some scrapes and such eventually.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer and will report back on how things go.

Cheers,
Tim

nbp

Flashaholic
I wouldn't think that opening it up would harm your chances of getting it replaced if it is in fact damaged. You have pictures already of it still inside the shell, so there's proof you didn't damage it after opening it up.

Most any other malfunction with a light wouldn't be discovered until it was opened up and used anyways, so I don't see how opening it would be a problem. :shrug: You certainly can do as you wish, but I think we're all going to continue wonder about what the deal really is: plastic dust or abrasion? :thinking: (See me pressuring you to tear into it??? :naughty:)

Then there is the point as you say, if you plan on using it, it will get scratched anyways so maybe no biggie, but if it's going to be a queenie, well, then you probably don't want any blemishes (assuming they are blemishes).

Lot's of questions and options. It sure is tough being picky like we are isn't it? :sigh:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen that with any of my Surefire's and I guess like other members suggest it could be from the plastic but wow that does really look like abrasions from wear. If it is wear it was probably used a lot. Good news is even if it is wear you have your dealer and then you have Surefire customer service and Surefire I am sure will take good care of you even if your dealer does not.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE

The retailer issued a UPS return label and the light is already on its way back to them. As soon as they receive confirmation that the light has shipped, they will send out a new one. Kudos to them (L.A. PoliceGear) for the hassle free and great customer service!

Cheers,
Tim

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UPDATE

The retailer issued a UPS return label and the light is already on its way back to them. As soon as they receive confirmation that the light has shipped, they will send out a new one. Kudos to them (L.A. PoliceGear) for the hassle free and great customer service!

Cheers,
Tim

Let us know how it works out. I've done a lot of business with LAPG over the years and never had any bad resuls, so I'm sure they'll take care of things.

FWIW, it is sometimes possible to open and reseal those packages, although it isn't supposed to be. Your pics seem to show a lot more wear and tear than would be expected inside virgin packaging.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers,
Tim
You have done the right thing in returning the light unopened. No arguments from the retailer now....

Good luck,

James.....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem with the black E2e which I bought from a local retailer. It is new and unopened. But I accepted it eventually because the wear is only on the tip of the bezel where the glass window is and also on the tip of the tail cap.

cityevader

Enlightened
In high school I had a friend who had purchased a nice Dewalt chop saw, proceeded to use it for a week until project finished, then sealed it back up in the carefully opened box and returned it for full refund like never opened.

He also had access to a shrink wrapper and would buy video games, remove the cartridges, reseal them, and refund as new/unopened.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened

Cheers,
Tim
I have bought several things from LAPG over the years as well and have never had a problem. I believe its a police officer owned company, they should take care of you!!!!