• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DIY: Crafting a foam donut for Peak Matterhorn

choombak

Enlightened
Hello friends,

Since I am in India, getting a foam donut shipped from Peak is not economical. The one in my Matterhorn was totally worn out, and the battery was rattling. With some foam, a knife, and a bit of creativity, I was able to craft a foam donut, and it fit the Matterhorn perfect. The rattle is gone, and the operation is now very smooth.

Here is what I did:
(1) Cut the round shape from the foam using the flashlight rim.
(2) Using the knife (Spyderco Cricket here), I reduced the diameter, since the inside tube has thick walls.
(3) Using Cricket's pointy tip, drilled a small hole in the center, and then slowly rotated the foam around the knife to increase the diameter of the hole. Slightly changing the angle of the blade took out the foam rapidly, and maintaining it at right angle to the foam polished it. :)
(4) Put the donut inside the flashlight tube and slotted it in place using a pencil tip (that gave the graphite marks on the otherwise good looking red-donut. Haha!
(5) Using the battery, tested the functionality and the rattle was gone, and the operation was smooth.

Hope this helps. Pictures follow:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Use two apropriately sized wad punches for a nice round finish.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Hello friends,

Since I am in India, getting a foam donut shipped from Peak is not economical. The one in my Matterhorn was totally worn out, and the battery was rattling. With some foam, a knife, and a bit of creativity, I was able to craft a foam donut, and it fit the Matterhorn perfect. The rattle is gone, and the operation is now very smooth.

Here is what I did:
(1) Cut the round shape from the foam using the flashlight rim.

(2) Using the knife (Spyderco Cricket here), I reduced the diameter, since the inside tube has thick walls.
(3) Using Cricket's pointy tip, drilled a small hole in the center, and then slowly rotated the foam around the knife to increase the diameter of the hole. Slightly changing the angle of the blade took out the foam rapidly, and maintaining it at right angle to the foam polished it. :)
(4) Put the donut inside the flashlight tube and slotted it in place using a pencil tip (that gave the graphite marks on the otherwise good looking red-donut. Haha!
(5) Using the battery, tested the functionality and the rattle was gone, and the operation was smooth.

Hope this helps. Pictures follow:

What kind of foam is that? Nice work.

choombak

Enlightened
What kind of foam is that? Nice work.

Some foam that my daughter uses to draw geometric shapes - the entire piece is a rectangle with shapes cut into it. Got it in a stationery store. She has half a dozen, so used one. The foam density is almost the same as that found on the real flashlight donuts.

-Amarendra

Norm

Retired Administrator
What is a wad punch? Can you provide more?

Thanks!

et400list5846866.jpg

Foam mouse mats are a good source of material.
Norm