Has anyone built their own Li-Ion chargers?

jcw122

Enlightened
I imagine it's not very difficult to build the proper circuitry and put it into an enclosure, so has anyone built their own chargers before?

Someday I want to go Li-Ion but I don't feel comfortable with all these cheap chargers that don't have automatic shutdowns when proper voltage is reached. And I don't want to pay for a PILA charger and double the cost of supporting my light. It shouldn't be that difficult to just build a charger with an auto shutdown when 4.2v is reached, is it?

Thanks.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This worked great for me:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/405442xf.pdf

It's linear so you want to minimize input voltage to keep power dissipation in the part down to a manageable level. I use a 5V wal-wart and set charge current to 500mA. I'm still using cells from 5 years ago so this really takes good care of cells with proper charge termination.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I built the one in this thread a couple of years ago. Hobby chargers have come a long way since then. If I were in the position of needing a charger now, I would look to one of the versatile hobby chargers that can be had for what the parts cost me to build mine. Building it was a learning experience to be sure, but also frustrating at times.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This worked great for me:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/405442xf.pdf

It's linear so you want to minimize input voltage to keep power dissipation in the part down to a manageable level. I use a 5V wal-wart and set charge current to 500mA. I'm still using cells from 5 years ago so this really takes good care of cells with proper charge termination.

Hi CM. Does your charger force a LiIon cell to 4.2 volts and hold it there, or does it recognize internal resistance that might be present in older LiIon's that would not allow them to reach 4.2 volts during a charge. Much discussion here on CPF about CC/CV being the best way to charge LiIon's, which would not necessarily force a cell to 4.2 volts.

Bill

Ok, I just read some of the specs for your charger. It is CC/CV.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have built 4 so far, only one did i fail miserably at.

when using a voltage regulator to control the max voltage, and the Max Current was the ability of the whole thing. Meaning max voltage , Default max current just because it couldnt do more than that.

the regulator heated up so hot the gate leg came undone, and Bam i suddenly had a 12V charger instead of a 4.2v one :shakehead oops.
mabey they should mention that when the leg lifts on the regulator the voltage goes to the HIGHEST , not the lowest as would seem to be a smarter thing to do :)
It even was heatsynced so stuff like that wouldnt happen, now i know why those heat syncs were on sale :whistle: back to the drawing board.

same thing happend with one of them (cheap%#$) Mastech power supplies, which regulates current and voltage, was pumping some juice through something, and out of the blue it jumped to 30V and Stayed there. Grrrrr.

Last edited: