Cool watch for an eight year old

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright you parent's out there, what's a cool watch to get the girl friend's eight your old son for his birthday (relatively cheap, under $50). He's a bright boy and everybody gets him video games but I think he's got enough video games.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy him an analog watch, so he can actually learn to tell time. Other than that, I have no idea.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I bought my 3 yr old son a http://www.johnlewis.com/50784/Style.aspx

Simple face and velcro strap means it can stay with him as he grows (as long as he doesn't lose it - although he's done well for 2 months so far).

One drawback though - half six every morning on the dot I get "It's morning now" at the top of his voice from his room and I can never be late getting tea ready!

choombak

Enlightened
Some ideas:
- Buy a watch with a velcro, or rubberized strap, as it is easy to dry these than a leather strap
- A watch that sync's with the atomic clock is a good idea, since it also introduces the concept of "accurate" time.
- Treat him like an adult, and don't gift him a watch having a cartoon image/face/photo (batman, superman, ben 10, or similar) on the dial. In 2 years, he may not want to wear it at all.
- The dial of the watch should fit his wrist reasonably well - don't get ones with very small or very large dials.
- Casio makes some good rugged construction, atomic watches, with both analog and digital times. They also typically have a good water resistance and can be abused. I have seen kids feeling good if their watches can stand up abuse, and take the beating. :) Take a look at the baby-G series. Timex also has a similar series, though not as rough-and-tough as Casio, but within a reasonable price range.
- Get the indiglo if possible, as kids really love to show that around.

Let us know what you decide.

-Amarendra

gpjoe

Newly Enlightened
Casio MDV-102. Right at your price limit and a huge hit with 'watchaholics' in the affordable catagory. As a bonus, it has LEDs at the 6 and 12'oclock position. Push the button at 2 o'clock and the LEDs light up the dial. It's like an Indiglo on steroids.

I had one, it is a great watch for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00134JNM8/?tag=cpf0b6-20