Mod Technisub Alulight (older) to something...

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I have this old technisub alulight that would be nice to modify into something else. First the original battery-pack gave up, and i replaced it with a home made holder for ordinary NiMH AA, but almost immediately I managed to crack the rare 20W 6V bulb.

So, I was thinking of replacing the battery with ordinary 16850 3,7V batteries and some LED solution. However, how are these lights constructed? I thought there was a ring holding the glass in place, but I can't budge it. Is glass and reflector just held in place by the oring, or is it corroded shut? How should I get the glass out?

Some pictures:
http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/10817/275274.html
http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/10817/275276.html
http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/10817/275279.html
http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/10817/275278.html

Cheers
/O
275274.html

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened
no clue anyone? before i shear this lamp too...

I don't know the lamp and it's dificult to seen it in the pictures, but check if there is a second oring holding the glass not in front but in it's lateral if it's the case it will dificult to remove if from the outside but you can use the hole in the reflector to pass a stick of wood and push it.

Last edited:

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
never seen such light before, look strong, you will need to have custom heatsink made for this.
look strange that nothing unscrew around the lens :shrug:
the original bettery pack was constitued of ?

it make me remember of this light, even tought your seem smaller a bit.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/267026

you could fit a quad aspheric in PackHorse fashion for a crazy tight beam, or put a ssr-50/90 with your stock reflector for wide beam

remember to grease oring or use new ones ... its better to get a wide beam than a flood(ed) beam :sick2:

lucca brassi

Enlightened
I think that this lamp has fixed reflector through front glass and you screw out back of the lamp with switch , battery pack , lamp base and bulb.

Is this true ?

I'm sure you don't take out front glass?

So I think that maybe the easiest way to upgrade on LED is to fabricate cooper or aluminium ring a 0,05mm bigger than inside diameter of lamp , with threads on inner side. Ring is then pressed in to the lamp housing at right depth.

adjustable_heatsink_front.JPG

Then come on these threads LED heatsink with LED.
Good point is , that you can easily focus LED with screwing inner heatsink.
If led is out of focus than , you have to mede bigger hole in reflector.

Threads between ring and led heatsink are lubricatd with arcticsilver 5 grease.

adjustable_heatsink_back.JPG

LED_SST90_adjustable_heatsink_driver_3_6V-_10A_.JPG

imnata

Newly Enlightened
... However, how are these lights constructed? I thought there was a ring holding the glass in place, but I can't budge it. Is glass and reflector just held in place by the oring, or is it corroded shut? How should I get the glass out?
275274.html

I have similar light (mini alulight) and I think they are both constructed in a similar way.
There are 2 o-rings holding the glas and the reflector in place.

DSC02528_w.jpg

I can make a more detailed photo if you want?

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! It is probably the same then. Did you just push the glass out with a stick?

/O

imnata

Newly Enlightened
Nope, I found it was very hard/ almost impossible that way. I suggest that you use a very thin screwdriver or something similar to remove the first o-ring. After that it's easy.
Even if you damage the o-ring during this process the thing is that it's probably already got small cracks on it due to ageing and you'll have to replace it anyway. At least this was the case with my o-rings

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Nope, I found it was very hard/ almost impossible that way. I suggest that you use a very thin screwdriver or something similar to remove the first o-ring. After that it's easy.
Even if you damage the o-ring during this process the thing is that it's probably already got small cracks on it due to ageing and you'll have to replace it anyway. At least this was the case with my o-rings

Cool, the oring has cracks anyway. Where do you find spare orings though, are these special spare parts or available as standard o-rings?

Cheers

imnata

Newly Enlightened
I guess you could find them in a dive store (that sells Technisub dive lamps) o-rings shouldn't be too expensive.

I know a firm that makes o-rings nearby and I was hoping they have an adequate replacement for the original ones. But have to check that...

lucca brassi

Enlightened
and second is ALTES , because they both don't have harmonized dimensions ( in my case , I have to bought parts from both)