Fenix TK45 Flashlight, Beta Review Video

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
2z7gxzd.jpg

I got to put the TK45 beta version (production version will be brighter) through some tests tonight and made a short video with beamshots.
Comparing the TK45 to the TK40, it is a wide area light while the TK40 is a better thrower.
Under 30 yards, I would give the advantage to the TK45. Farther out in distance, the TK40 fares better.
The TK45 makes for a better video camera light due to its flooding light as is apparent in the video.

Overall I really like this light. It really grows on you. The look is very futuristic especially when you hold it in your hand and it would have rocked if it was used in a certain movie.:whistle:
It is starting to make my TK40 seem boring.:eek:oo:
The sidewinder switches are very easy and fast to use going through the modes.

The only minor issues I noticed is the battery carrier which moves very slightly inside horizontally when I shake it, where as my TK40 has no movement at all. The all plastic carrier also raises the issue of durablity. I would have preferred the same one used in the TK40 with the metal rods.
The sidewinder switch does not appear to be servicable and the rubber cover may break eventually with heavy use.
The 1 series circuit design of the TK45 also means no 4 AA use in emergencies like the TK40.

Video Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Q1nw_UEIw

Edit:
Here is a NEW video of the production TK45 being used to explore a small cave. It is on turbo mode throughout the video except when I cycle through the modes at around 1:04 in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41grKkDekY

Fenix documentation with this flashlight states,

"Fenix TK45 utilizes the most advanced lighting technology to throw an amazing 760 lumens beam, which is much brighter than a 10W HID light, and comparable to a car headlight."

Well I had to see for myself and here is a pic with car headlight on right
and TK45 Turbo on left. Wow.

2echtt4.jpg

The Maxpedition Universal Sheath (not included) fits this flashlight.

Last edited:

qpush

Newly Enlightened
Thank's for the video!
I saw you lit up only one of the leds on the low setting but could you also lit up two of the three and decide which two should be lit and which one remain off?

thedeske

Enlightened
Thanks Pandorum

The more I see this light, the more I think of it as a variation of the TK40 and not an update or upgrade. The flood might be a better choice in areas where there are more objects such as trees or buildings that eliminate the need for distance. This would be great for navigating a large interior space, like a warehouse or hanger with high ceiling decks and lots of equipment in the way.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is it brighter than the 40 on a ceiling bounce?

Why did they do an 8S cell arrangement? The XPG Vf is only 3.2V (IIRC).

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Thank's for the video!
I saw you lit up only one of the leds on the low setting but could you also lit up two of the three and decide which two should be lit and which one remain off?

Only in the low brightness does one LED light up. It switches between LEDs when you turn it on and off. On medium brightness and higher all three LEDs light up at the same time.

Is it brighter than the 40 on a ceiling bounce?

Why did they do an 8S cell arrangement? The XPG Vf is only 3.2V (IIRC).

In a ceiling bounce test it is very close and hard to tell. I thought the TK40 may be a little bit more effective but when I asked my wife she picked the TK45. :huh:
The beta model I have uses the Cree XPG-R4 LED so it will not be as bright as the final model which will use the R5 LED.

I don't know why they switched to the 8 series circuit. I will do some volt meter tests myself later. One thing though, the batteries are a bit less confusing to put in this way.:)

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. It's nice to see a review from someone with TK40 experience.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Nice video on the TK45, I was curious how it would compare to the TK40. Looks light the spill is brighter than the TK40 although the beam width is not as wide. Thanks.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:
I now have a production model TK-45 with the Cree XP-G R5 Led and it is brighter than the test model on all brightness modes. :)
I also want to add that the battery carrier in the production version does NOT rattle in the flashlight!:twothumbs

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:
I now have a production model TK-45 with the Cree XP-G R5 Led and it is brighter than the test model on all brightness modes. :)
I also want to add that the battery carrier in the production version does NOT rattle in the flashlight!:twothumbs

Got mine today very happy with it, apart from it does rattle when I shake it.
Is this normal?
Does anyone else have this?

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Yes mine still rattles very slightly on the production model but unless you are shaking it to look for it I don't notice it at all in use.