Impressed with LED lights

Zlynx

Newly Enlightened
No idea if the marketplace is something I can use or not but I just joined. Have been reading some here and learning about leds. Recently got a couple highpower (100 and 80 lumen) flashlights and am so impressed with what leds can do these days - much better than all my old flashlights.

Okay, my question to you all (as a new person) is if this is the place I should be (candlepowerforums). What I want to do is learn enough to make some high output led lights for inside my house (maybe canister lights) and power them with a solar panel and small battery system (not lead acid). It seems you have the lights covered but maybe I'll have to look elsewhere for the solar side.

So should I be here? (mostly reading, can't contribute much)

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Zlynx.

I'll move your post to make a new thread in LED Flashlights, where most of the discussion about new LED lights takes place. If you intend to make a light yourself, you can ask questions in the Homemade & Modified section.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the man said, welcome.

You may also want to look around in the battery section in case those boys know something about solar power and I'm thinking they should. There are some rightly smart people around here :candle:

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, I am very interested in the same basic idea. That is, making and running lights for the home with LEDs powered by solar panels! :)

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. I've been thinking of making some solar powered lights for around my driveway. It might be an idea to use an XP-G LED in each one instead of plain old LEDs. I was going to have a relatively large solar panel on the roof of my power shack (just a small shack that power runs into) charging a gel battery, and from there ditribute it to the lights. That wouldn't be hard to do, and I have a circuit designed somewhere for a cluster of 5 leds, but it might be nice to have a single low powered XP-G in each, since they are so efficient. Hmm...