"Instant Mod" lets your Quark Lock-Out

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Love your Quark but wish it had a reliable lock-out? That was my dilemma, but I found a way to do it by creating a Quenix, or if you prefer, a Fark.

Even though some Quark tailpieces are anodized, they don't provide reliable lockout because of the non-anodized bodies. For secure lockout both parts must be anodized. The answer was to fit anodized Quark tailpieces (about 60% of mine are anodized) to Fenix bodies.

I have a bunch of Quarks 123x2 XP-E R2's, Fenix PD3-Q5's, Fenix PD30-Q5's, and the latest Fenix PD30-R2. All the Fenix's have different bodies with subtly different threads. Fenix, like Quark, has phased out or is phasing out their XP-E R2's in favor of XP-G R4's. (R5's for Quark).

After hours of mix-and-match I discovered one combination that works perfectly (I've only done this with Quark 2x123 heads including the Quark Turbo). Here is the recipe:

Fenix 123x2 body (must be PD30-R2 body. No other Fenix 123x2 body will work)
Quark head or Turbo head
Quark anodized tailpiece.

The Quark head fits perfectly. The Quark tailpiece screws in just enough to enough cover the Fenix O-ring and make it waterproof (I tested it) but for good measure I added an additional thin O-ring above it (toward head). When the tailpiece is screwed in it wedges the 2nd O-ring between itself and the body so that approx 1/2 of the O-ring is visible, but firnly stable. This works very well, and I tested it by many "screwings" and "un-screwings".

The beauty of this combination is that in addition to lock-out, you keep the Quark tailpiece (not the shaky-standing Fenix tailpiece) and Quark head.

Voila, your new Fark/Quenix.

Brightnorm

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
the quark 18650 body allows for lockout, just a fyi.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As do both the AA2 and 123-2 Quark Turbo bodies, both having anodised tail threads.

I just recieved my 123^2 turbo yesterday and there is no anodizing on the threadings. The tail cap is anodized though. This could be a new implementation?

Edit to add: Mine is the warm white version

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why so worried about lockout have you had accidental activation or what? How do you carry it? In a holster or pocket? I can't see how this is a big deal even with the old Quarks with nothing anodized I have carried them in holsters and in pocket with no activations. Maybe the worry is for backpacking?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I just recieved my 123^2 turbo yesterday and there is no anodizing on the threadings. The tail cap is anodized though. This could be a new implementation?

Edit to add: Mine is the warm white version
I reckon anything is possible, even quite probable since there were complaints about the inability to reverse the tube.

I have six Turbos/tubes here purchased at various times and they all have anodised tail threads (which occasionally causes its own set of problems) but they are also all old versions so it looks like newer ones did away wiht it and just use the anodised tailcap which in my very humble opinion is all that is needed anyway.

Not that I would ever use a tailcap lockout, just don't have ever seem to have a need for lockout except on those easy to activate torches with electronic switches like the Zebra etc.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Why so worried about lockout have you had accidental activation or what? How do you carry it? In a holster or pocket? I can't see how this is a big deal even with the old Quarks with nothing anodized I have carried them in holsters and in pocket with no activations. Maybe the worry is for backpacking?

I also fail to see the importance here...... Especially on the normal quarks chances are pretty slim that the light ever accidentally turns on. If you are worried this could happen just set the head to moon-mode, if it does turn on and you find out within a week youll still have half a battery left :p

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I belt-carry my Quark 123x2 and it accidently turned on in its Quark holster during a flight. I'm not sure how it happened but, as previously mentioned it was in moon mode so there was no heat danger or noticeable battery drain.

I agree that the chances of this happening are rare and any resulting problems usually minimal. NTL, as many CPF members have expressed over the years, it is a nice feature to have, and all things being equal - better to have it than not have it.

Another consideration for belt-carry EDC is holster size. The Quark holster is excellent and, despite my experience, the firm fabric makes accidental turn-on unlikely. However, the holster is relatively bulky for such a small light which is why I have switched back to the "old" Fenix 123x2 holsters (rather than the strangely-designed new ones). They are very small, with no flap but so tightly form-fitting (especially with a lanyard) that the light can only be removed by a concerted effort. Since the bottoms of these holsters are less pressure- resistant than the Quark holsters, being able to lock-out the light is very reassuring.

BTW, tail-only anodize does not provide secure or reliable lock-out. For that you need double-anodize.

Anyway, lockout is a personal decision and I'm glad that I found a way to do it. I posted and thought it might be useful for some other folks.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the old Fenix holsters to and thats what I use with all my Quarks and Fenix lights. You just can't beat how easy it is to deploy and re-holster with that holster and I have never lost a light with them. I will usually use one for 6-8 months and then use a new one.

I ordered like 12 from lighthound awhile back and still have many from P3D's I have. I think they still sell them last I checked. For me the old P3D holster will be relevant as long as manufactures keep making 4.5" x .8" lights.

dyril

Newly Enlightened
If I read correctly, doing this mod would make it possible (if not awkward in use) to make a 123 Tactical have a "twist-only" UI?
...making it be less awkward were the functions of the tail and head swapped.

If so, I'd probably want to get Regular tailcap for this, since I have an aversion to clickies purely because they are audible.. :sssh: