Better single edged blade for EDC, straight or serrated?

Best single edged blade for EDC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LedTed

Enlightened
Because of you guys, I've changed my philosophy on EDC knife reasoning. Now, when appropriate for me, I carry both a multi-tool (one of two Leathermans) and a single blade knife (either a BenchMade or recently a SOG).

The two-is-one and one-is-none philosophy from our group has helped me step up. A blog (http://towhichireplied.blogspot.com/2006/09/choosing-edc-knife.html) and experience have given me good cause to carry a half-serrated blade.

As this group helped me before, I am looking to your wisdom and experience as to the best blade type for EDC. My public poll will have four choices, but feel free to chime in with specifics. (And, hopefully reasoning for the specific choices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

--
LedTed

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted plain edge. I can not stand serrated or partially serrated blades.

carrot

Flashaholic
Unless you are cutting tough or heavily abrasive materials all day long (rope, carpet, etc) you would be better served with a plain edge.

A small serrated knife may come in handy on occasion, but a well-sharpened plain edge knife will cut 100% of the same things and still be better suited towards a greater variety of tasks (peeling apples, whittling, sharpening pencils and just about anything requiring clean straight slices).

I wouldn't say no to carrying a serrated knife as your second knife. But I wouldn't carry a serrated knife as my only knife.

Combo edge is the worst of both worlds. Often you'll find you want the more precise plain edge towards the handle for strong, clean cuts (especially when working on hard materials like wood) and sometimes you might need to cut things that are in a hard to reach area, where serrations at the tip would be more useful.

I could probably come up with more examples, but I'll just leave it as this:

It's a piece of cake to sharpen a plain edge knife, requiring no special tools aside from your favorite sharpening setup. If you mess up a blade, it's easy to re-form the edge. On a serrated knife it is difficult to restore an edge once it is really far gone and it often requires special tools, such as a file or specially shaped ceramics like that of the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Serrated blades have their purpose (heck, i have an all serrated blade in my toolkit and a partially serrated in my emergency pack) but for true every day carry nothing can beat a plain blade.... Listen to carrot, he makes some great points right there!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an avid, long-term collector and could not agree more with carrot--straight without any reservations! +1

Karl

ASheep

Enlightened
I agree with carrot, Straight blade for EDC all the time.
Serrations have their uses, but they're not good as the only knife you carry.
Combos are the devil incarnate.

That being said, I have used the serrated blade on my gerber multitool to cut a seatbelt in a car accident, but that was more because it was the first blade I flicked open (Gerber Suspensions have two blades, one on each handle). A straight edge would have done the same job.

Alex

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Just for weighted opinion:

I use my knives allot in various scenarios and just like various flashlights suit different peoples EDC requirements so to will knives:

I could write volumes about what knives I use for what purpose but the question was EDC.

EDC in an urban environment for me is my Leatherman Wave which has both a straight edge and a serrated and both get a good workout but generally the straight edge does most of the cutting but when I do need a serrated the straight will not be nearly as efficient.

EDC in a field environment (non tactical) I also like LedTed carry both a multi-tool (another LM Wave) plus either a folder or a fixed blade.
Generally it will be a folder (unless I am predominately hunting)
Unlike most views (which are relevant and also based on preference) I have to say a combo edge is my preference but with stipulations.

I spend allot of time in the field and I need about a 4 inch blade to accomplish most tasks but I am often restricted from carrying a fixed blade in some circumstances. I consider about 4 inches to be the minimum length for a combo blade to be effective. Any smaller and combo edges do become somewhat impractical for my purpose.

60% of my cutting in the field is rope and cordage, 20% splitting wood & tinder preparation and 20% food preparation (I know I should use a different knife for food prep but I am still alive and well after 50 years)
Currently my Field EDC is a CRKT M21 combo edge (with reworked straight portion). If I have the need for a very fine edge straight (narrow blade) I will use a scalpel from my FAK.

I have been in many circumstances when a straight edge (even a very sharp well prepared blade) has struggled to cut:
Reinforced Radiator hoses, Hydraulic Hoses, Braided Hoses, Hardwoods when preparing snares/traps, Kernmantle type ropes (notably in emergencies and trying to cut on a rock face), Bones, Slicing crusty field cooked breads and numerous other substances that escape me at this moment.

But in favour of the straight portion of my EDC it is ideal for lever cutting through banding, both metal and plastic, fine cuts to soft woods, most food prep, map preparation (cutting and contact application in the field), using as a chisel and another host of purposes.

I would dearly love to always have a knife for every purpose at hand on all occasions and if I am within walking distance of my 4x4 or my home I will generally have the correct knife but for EDC it will be a combo edge for me.

Sorry to all you knife purists out there (I really do love & appreciate a well prepared straight edge) but not for my EDC.

carrot

Flashaholic
Ozgeardo, you make a very clear case for serrated edge... and right in your very own words you also point out that the types of things you cut truly require a serrated edge. There are a lot of people who never need to cut these things, and for those people, plain edge is right. For people like you who have a rather exciting array of difficult things to cut, serrations are perfect.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have tried full serrated and combo blades in the past, but no more. Not only was not that useful to have the serrated edge, sharpening a straight edge is a lot more easy and forgiving. It is true that a serrated edge has its place, but for me, right now I only use/own straight blades for all my EDC knives:

DSCF2219.JPG

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for half serrated :thumbsup:

Reason being as you can't EDC any type of knife here (without a lawful excuse) the EDC would most likely be a tool/camping dedicated implement (or some other similar intent) ;)

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I vote straight edge for most daily tasks a plain edge will perform better and is much easier to sharpen if needed. Serrated knives have there place for cutting rope, heavy boxes, seat belts, bread, and such but for my uses a plain edge works better for cutting open my mail, and just general chores around the house. If you carry a multi-tool it might have both edges with it mine had a serrated blade and I changed it to a plain edge by grinding the serrations off carefully so I would not over heat the steel and take the temper out of it and now it works great and have had it many years.

gpjoe

Newly Enlightened
My personal preference is a plain edge which suits my use, though there are some very good arguments here for carrying a serrated blade.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I carry a straight edge at the moment but have a number of combo edge knives and a couple serrated options available. Overall I haven't felt too limited by my straight edge EDC knife (CRKT M1601T) but if I have to cut more rope or if I was going camping, etc I'd be swapping it out of my pocket for something a bit longer and with a combo edge.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Plain edge too. Nothing I can't cut with my Grip that I could cut with a serrated edge in every day life. I use my knife 40+ times a day every day, I've found it with nicks and dull edge in one area so I use another part. I sharpen it every few weeks. If I had serrated I suppose I wouldn't have as much useful edge. I cut tape, plastic, multi-core cables, paper, cardboard, zipties, rubber, aluminum cans etc. I find myself stripping big wire and cutting decals more than anything. I love my grip btw.

sg

Enlightened
My preference is a plain edge. It's much easier to maintain and while I don't mind sharpening my knives, I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

Mark

guyg

Newly Enlightened
From what i've seen, most users of serrated edges Need to use them. And they work great.For most edc tasks a plain edge does everything.Carrot's post got it all.