Making 3AAA lights flashaholic worthy - the 22600

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Making 3AAA lights flashaholic worthy - the 22600 & 22650

When I first started collecting LED lights, a few of them were of the 3AAA variety. That's fine for the non-flashaholic, but us flashaholics know that while AAAs are easily accessible, they provide exactly squat for runtime. There's a few 3AAA lights out there worth having that also offer compatability with a single 18650, and in some cases 2*16340 and while that's nice, filling them with those skinny batteries makes the almost-but-not-quite-C-sized tube a waste of space.

Enter the 22600 sized rechargeable. I'd seen LiFePO4 chemistry batteries offered in that size from only one or two vendors a few years ago, but didn't buy any before they disappeared. I didn't pull the trigger then because the lights I had hoped they'd fit into didn't perform as well with only 3.0V as with 3.6V or more.

Enter the new new 22600 sized 3.7V protected Li-Ion rechargeables (UltraFire branded). I just bought one of these and was delighted to find that it fit with even a little room to spare in a 3AAA/18650/2x16340 light that I keep in my car's center console.

You can see in the pic below how it's a little longer than a traditional 3AAA carrier, so lights that are strictly 3AAA sized might not afford the depth of tube necessary to fit this battery, at least not without spring trimming or removal.

3AAAto22600.jpg

I haven't done any runtime tests to confirm the modestly labeled 2500mAH capacity, but considering the volume increase of this canister over a tranditional 18650, I'm inclined to believe this rating is much more realistic than the 3000mAH rating of the 18650 of the same label. I hoping that it might even be underrated. Even if it's not, I'm pretty sure I've doubled the capacity/runtime of the torch in the pic simply by replacing the two 16340 rechargeables pictured (whos overrated 880mAH capacity is more like 550mAH each.)

The availability of this battery makes some of those 3AAA/18650 lights look a little more interesting as mod candidates now, and when I'm done with them, I can always give them away to non-flashaholics with the 3AAA carrier again.

Here's a pic of the IMR 22650 I mentioned in a later post below, next to a 3AAA flood-to-throw light I modded to use it in with a CREE XM-L:

lightandbattery.jpg

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was looking for batteries to swap out 3AAA for but at $10-$12 each on ebay it is not very attractive.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw them and ordered a pair .. Just waiting for them to arrive .
Certainly look interesting for use in those 3xAAA lights , I have 2 , a Saik SA-8 , and a Solarforce L2i .

Price was $15USD shipped for a pair on flea bay .

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw them and ordered a pair .. Just waiting for them to arrive .
Certainly look interesting for use in those 3xAAA lights , I have 2 , a Saik SA-8 , and a Solarforce L2i .

Price was $15USD shipped for a pair on flea bay .

that is cheaper than you can order them on ebay here $21 a pair is the best I have seen today. I will just stick with using my hybrid AAAs in the $5 lights and headlamps I have no sense in spending more on a battery than the lights cost me.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap 3AAA flashlight that I've been running on 18500 for a while. 18500s are a a good fit as they are the same size of 3xAAA so they don't require any trimming, although they have lower capacity than 22600. 1600mah 18500s are available on KD for 10 bucks a pair.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just tried a 123 Energizer primary in a couple of cheap 3 X AAA torches and although they work , they aren't as bright as with the three AAA alkaline cells ... Seems as though they need the higher voltage.

My two cheapie 3 X AAA torches are 22.2mm diameter inside and the available internal length is 57.56mm ... The springs would further reduce this available length ... The AAA cassette is 51.36mm long ... The maximum length that can be fitted inside the body is only 54.94mm in my case ... This means that the 22600 cell is just over 5mm too long for the AAA torches that I have ... Shame innit ?

I guess that these torches are destined to be give-aways to non-flashaholic friends and relatives.

My Romisen RC-U4 works OK in the car with three lithium AAA primaries , though it is also destined to be given to family.

The ultra-cheap single mode 123 torches are much better when using the 123 Energizer primaries.

After a bit of playing about with different torches , I guess that I will now standardise on 18650s , AAs and AAAs ... All single cell.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a cheap 3AAA flashlight that I've been running on 18500 for a while. 18500s are a a good fit as they are the same size of 3xAAA so they don't require any trimming, although they have lower capacity than 22600. 1600mah 18500s are available on KD for 10 bucks a pair.

I use 18500s in my 3AAAs too.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Looks like I got mine at an introductory price... When I bought it, KD had them for $6.70 each (now KD gets $7.48ea) and QualityChinaGoods had them in pairs for ~$12, but now asks >$21/pair.

I might still grab one more now in case another 3AAA/18650 host comes along. I've already started a short list of candidates in my head, with the SmallSun ZY-C80 topping the list (a 3AAA compatible version of the HS-802). Being able to use this battery might warrant the giant size (length) of that flashlight.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add me to the list of 18500's in 3 AAA lights users.

Keep in mind that lights that are DD (direct drive with, or without a resistor) will likely drive the LED(s) at a considerably higher drive current with any LiCo or LiMn Li-Ion cell. They'll be nice and bright, but this can lead to burning out the LED(s) if they have a low Vf.

I have two 3 AAA lights that survived 18500 use, a Nuwai ALX-1113 and a no name 9 LED "shower head". This was kinda neat, because it separated the "men from the boys" among my early LED lights. For inexpensive lights, both of which were purchased back in 2004-2005, these two actually still work quite well, if you can stand the "baby puke yellow/green" of the Nuwai and the "Moon blue" of the 9, 5mm LED shower head. :)

That is an interesting size cell. It would be a much better solution for these lights.

Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have just tried a 123 Energizer primary in a couple of cheap 3 X AAA torches and although they work , they aren't as bright as with the three AAA alkaline cells ... Seems as though they need the higher voltage.
cheap 3AAA torches tend to be set up to overdrive the LEDs till they deplete some starting at 4.5v, a 3.2v 123 cell cannot match the output but when the cells are depleted to 1.1v (making less than 3.3v under load) it is a good match but then they AAAs would be pretty much spent.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheap 3AAA torches tend to be set up to overdrive the LEDs till they deplete some starting at 4.5v, a 3.2v 123 cell cannot match the output but when the cells are depleted to 1.1v (making less than 3.3v under load) it is a good match but then they AAAs would be pretty much spent.

I would think that a lithium primary 123 would be very close to 3 AAA alkaline cells, as far as voltage, in this application. These lights count on the voltage of three alkaline cells sagging to a more appropriate level. That's why you can burn up the LED's using "good" NiMH AAA's, as well. Their voltage won't sag as much as alkalines.

As for these lights in general, over driving the LED's, I think some do and some don't. It depends on the individual light. It seems the ones that utilize resistors don't tend to overdrive the LEDs, or at least not as much anyway.

Dave

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made an adapter so I could run a single RCR123A [ 4.2v ] in the 3xAAA bodies .
Also I can run a 14500 etc ..

I like the 3xAAA lights as with the right drop in you have a huge choice of batteries , U know , for that end of the world scenario .

My L2i can run single AAA/AA/10440/14500/ all the way to 18650 and now 22600 ... [ I will have to build that solar charger ]

There are many 3xAAA lights out there that are decent , folks just dont seem to appreciate AAA batteries [ good for back up ] . The 22600 if it takes off , rather than being a flash in the pan , should make for a very nice option for those wanting to move up to rechargeable's ..

What will be interesting , I wonder how they will fit the chargers ????

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you didn't have to fumble with the carriers 3AAA lights wouldn't be that big of a deal but for the same price AA batteries give you up to 3 times the capacity and lights using 1-2 of them run almost for over half as long or close to twice as long as 3AAAs and batteries are quick to change. I have decided to get away from alkalines but until LSD nimh came along I found myself having the charge batteries in them every 3-6 months. LSD nimh makes 3AAA lights a lot more useful now as the batteries charge faster and you can let the light sit for months without worrying and rayovac hybrids although not the best can be had for cheap enough now.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you didn't have to fumble with the carriers 3AAA lights wouldn't be that big of a deal but for the same price AA batteries give you up to 3 times the capacity and lights using 1-2 of them run almost for over half as long or close to twice as long as 3AAAs and batteries are quick to change. I have decided to get away from alkalines but until LSD nimh came along I found myself having the charge batteries in them every 3-6 months. LSD nimh makes 3AAA lights a lot more useful now as the batteries charge faster and you can let the light sit for months without worrying and rayovac hybrids although not the best can be had for cheap enough now.

My mothers SAIK SA-8 is still on its first set of batteries , and I got it for her last year , I dont think batteries are that much of an issue for the average person , for lightaholics though ?

My own SAIK SA-8 has had a P60 pill fitted [ 5 mode Solarforce ] and even with almost double the current draw it still runs 3xAAA ok .

I know it wont compete with a 18650 [ 3xAAA ] but when that meteor slams into the earth and kills 99.9% of us , those scrounged AAA's are going to look mighty good .

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2i can run single AAA/AA/10440/14500/ all the way to 18650 and now 22600
I had to make a 5mm spacer to extend the body length of my L2i so it would take a 18650 battery ... The spacer fits between the body and the head ... I like the recessed button on the L2i better than the one on the L2 and it will also tailstand if needed ... I have a single mode dropin in the L2i and this is my general purpose house torch ... Used every night for the snail and slug killing expedition in the back garden ... I don't use the torch to kill the slugs and snails , only to find them.
evilgrin07.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My mothers SAIK SA-8 is still on its first set of batteries , and I got it for her last year , I dont think batteries are that much of an issue for the average person , for lightaholics though ?

My own SAIK SA-8 has had a P60 pill fitted [ 5 mode Solarforce ] and even with almost double the current draw it still runs 3xAAA ok .

I know it wont compete with a 18650 [ 3xAAA ] but when that meteor slams into the earth and kills 99.9% of us , those scrounged AAA's are going to look mighty good .

I suppose the average person would be ok with a 3AAA based light but since I got decent 2AA lights I only turn on my 3AAA based lights to test them I prefer 2AA as it takes so much less time and effort to deal with battery changes plus the runtime of a 2AA light is about twice that of a 3AAA and when I go for walks sometimes I use up the rechargables in once a week which if 3AAA would be every 2 days instead.
If a meteor hits and kills most of us... I would rather have a gas lantern than a flashlight as it will get very cold in the fall and freezing in winters as the sun is buried behind the dust cloud.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plenty of wood to burn , thermal underwear , and what you will need more than anything else is clean drinking water , without that you will die !

My 22600 arrived today , quick note , due to the design of the Solarforce L2i tailcap the 22600 will not fit the Solarforce , though the batteries do fit my SAIK almost perfectly , we are talking internally threaded tailcap VS externally threaded , so no go for the L2i

Techjunkie

Enlightened
I had ordered extra 41x31mm SMO XPG reflectors a while back, with the intent of making a multiple XPG thrower out of an old 6V battery searchlight and then scrapped the idea. I just ordered the SmallSun ZY-C37, which takes 3AAA or 1 18650. If this 22600 battery and that reflector both fit, then I'll mod it up with those parts, a forward clicky switch, an XPG star and a single mode 3.7-8.4V driver modded for 1.5A output. When I'm done, I'll have a nice, compact XPG thrower with almost 2 hours of runtime. (I'll have to get another one of these batteries as well then, 'cause the one I have now already has a home...) Funny how a new battery leads to new projects.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my measurements for a pair of 3xAAA carriers I had laying around
Code:
Carrier 1
Diameter  22.2mm
Length     55.9mm

Carrier 2
Diameter   22.0mm
Length    52.8mm

And the light they go to has a 23mm inner diameter.  So if you can get 4-8mm of spring space, the 22600 should work.  I've had trouble cramming even unprotected 18650s (from a laptop, 64.6mm long) into 3xAAA spots.  These measurements are from my old calipers, which are close but not exact.

In conclusion, if the 22600 is right on the 60mm length, and you can get 5mm of space, which on my screen is a bit longer than 'mm,' then you're set to use a 22600 in any 3xAAA light.

Edit:
Taping pennies to my 3xAAA cartridge to make a 60mm-long-slug.  It fits in two of my three 3xAAA lights.

Edit:  I just realized that a C cell is 26.2x50mm - too wide.  D cells are worse.

Last edited:

Latest posts