Eneloop charger inquiry

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Okay, I have a dumb question (i'm new to flashlights/batteries/chargers). I just picked up my first two quality lights (fenix ld20+ and ld10+), and after reading through some cpf threads on the best batteries, I got from my local shop (ncix) a sanyo charger and the 4x AA eneloops they came with. After buying them, I read some more cpf threads about the sanyo chargers and found out they're not all good! The bad thing is... I have the "bad" one that only charges 2 or 4 and just keeps on charging until both are done w/o care for overcharging. If this is the case, since I don't want to pay more money to get another charger, can I just leave a fully used AA eneloop until I have fully used another so that I can then charge both? Is it bad to leave that fully used one empty in wait for another one to be fully used to charge both? Or should I not care and just stick the one fully used one w/ a partially used one in so I can charge? What should I do? :confused:

Sorry for dumb question... I'm just getting into lights and I bought the batteries and charger before reading more cpf threads....

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

:welcome:

You can leave a fully used eneloop for as long as you like before charging it. It won't harm it at all.

When you have a charger that charges batteries in pairs it is always best to put two completely discharged batteries in for charging so that both start out from the same point and both should finish charging at about the same time.

A good system to use is to have one box for charged batteries and one box for discharged batteries and always to put the used batteries in the discharged box so you don't get them muddled up.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Thanks Mr Happy!

This forum is excellent. I hope I don't get addicted to lights and get more through reading up here though. haha :naughty:

red02

Enlightened
I've never been completely clear on this, but whats the safe discharge zone for Eneloops before damage starts to occur? Can I discharge in a battery vampire or will that cause damage?

I usually scramble to kill the light as soon as it drops out of regulation, should I keep doing this?

What about a top-off charge, I recall hearing that li-ions will handle it better, will it kill an Eneloop faster than normal discharge-charge cycles?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been completely clear on this, but whats the safe discharge zone for Eneloops before damage starts to occur?
It depends whether it is a single cell light or a multi-cell light.

Can I discharge in a battery vampire or will that cause damage?
A battery vampire will be bad for a multi-cell configuration as it may lead to one of the cells becoming reverse polarized. This will not be good for the cell. But in a single cell application the lowest voltage the cell can reach is 0 V and this will not particularly harm an eneloop.

I usually scramble to kill the light as soon as it drops out of regulation, should I keep doing this?
If it is a multi-cell light, yes.

What about a top-off charge, I recall hearing that li-ions will handle it better, will it kill an Eneloop faster than normal discharge-charge cycles?
Recharging a partially discharged eneloop is OK, but best to do it in a smart charger with individual charge control on each cell. But every once in a while you should do a complete discharge before charging to keep the cells vibrant.

Darvis

Enlightened
Mr. Happy has some good advice, the only thing I would add is that you should consider a quality charger for your batteries... I would seriously look at the LaCrosse BC-9009 or whichever LaCrosse is the current model (not sure if the it's still the BC-9009 or not) Anyway, it'll charge any type of AA or AAA and even tests capacity and can "refresh" cells that may have been over-cycled. It does other stuff as well. Well worth the cash if you're going to be using AA's or AAA with any regularity IMO.

red02

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I should have specified that I was talking about single cell lights.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I would seriously look at the LaCrosse BC-9009
Or MAHA C9000 which I am totally happy with. You can also opt for a Sony BC-CS2A for around $10 delivered that is a good charger and several members spoke highly of it when I needed basic chargers for my kids. It's one disadvantage I see is being able to only charge 1 or 2 AA's, 1 or 2 AAA's or I believe any combination between them. I.E. not more than two of each size at a time. Last time I looked I could not find another one of the older good (NC-MONO5U) four position Sanyo Eneloop chargers that are not a timed based charge and have independent bays.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
While looking to buy more eneloop batteries, I stumbled across this package at dell.ca:

4x AA
4x AAA
Car adaptor
and and the MQHO3 charger

all for CDN$ 19.99!!!

I think this is quite a good deal, no?

Also, after looking up the charger in the cpf forums, I found that this charger is also a smart charger that can charge single or double and in any combo of AA or AAA.

In any case, I just thought I'd let people know about this deal, which is going on at Dell.ca for the Canadians who can purchase from there. Here is the link:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...tdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A3516408

Cheers! :thumbsup:

fishinfool

Enlightened
While looking to buy more eneloop batteries, I stumbled across this package at dell.ca:

4x AA
4x AAA
Car adaptor
and and the MQHO3 charger

all for CDN$ 19.99!!!

I think this is quite a good deal, no?

Also, after looking up the charger in the cpf forums, I found that this charger is also a smart charger that can charge single or double and in any combo of AA or AAA.

In any case, I just thought I'd let people know about this deal, which is going on at Dell.ca for the Canadians who can purchase from there. Here is the link:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...tdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A3516408

Cheers! :thumbsup:

That's a very, very good deal. If that was available here in Hawaii, I would buy 2 or more of those just for the batteries. The batteries alone cost $40 + shipping at TD. I'm still waiting for our costco to get the new eneloops and charger pack which should be very soon....hopefully.

You should post that in the Good Deals section of the Market Place.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Last edited: