The Yukon HL...FINALLY a high/low LED headlamp

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
Check out this link ...it details the new Yukon upgrade from PT. I have a 1st Gen Yukon and for me, it is perhaps my favorite light....well, next to my E2e and CPF Arc AAA...and...well you get the picture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've been waiting to the 5m / 1 watt LED combo lights to hit the streets for some time and I can't think of a better debut than a headlamp (if there are already others out there...please let me know).

Anyway, does anyone else here share in my excitement?!?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drjones

Enlightened
That is really cool, especially the advertised runtime of 44 hours on the 1w LED!!!

If I backpacked more, I'd be REALLY thrilled.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I just got a Yukon from REI yesterday, and tried it out a bit last night. It's incandescent beam is quite powerful. It will be interesting to see how the 1W LS compares. The reflector should do a good job of producing a tight smooth spot, as it does with the incandescent bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

EDIT: Do check out the other new previews on that link. A 1W 4AA light, and the new Matrix 2 1W LS headlamp.

Luminati

Newly Enlightened
Just saw the Yukon Extreme at the OR show here in SLC...

Looks like a very cool light:

- Dual filament bulb with the high beam equivalent to the Surge
- Waterproof, 8xAA battery pack with velcro carry pouch
- 3 x LEDs

There's also the "SP": a waterproof, regulated 8 x LED light that allows you to burn 1, 3, 5, or all 8 LEDs at once (and flash 'em). Looks like something from a SF movie (or Jacques Cousteau) - very cool design and color.

AND Luxeon 1W (seem to be Everleds) in two other lamps (upgraded Matrix and another...can't remember name).

Nice stuff coming from PT! Uhhh...nothing new from Petzl this show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
It's the Impact XL. An Impact with a 1W Luxeon and reflector. The best one for me is the Matrix two. You can guess why...3 leds or 1W Luxeon. I'm not really looking forward to getting the new yukon...for the battery pack behind my head. The Matrix has always been an excellent light and, after the Aurora, the best headlamp around. So, I'm really waiting for the new Matrix 2 to come!

grnamin

Enlightened
a better switch, etc?

I just got back from a 3-day camping trip. I took a regular Yukon with me. It's an excellent light with the potential to be an even better light with the HL if only Princeton Tec would 1) design a better switch. The button was difficult to index in the dark. I place the Yukon on the little gear loft in my tent so I wouldn't have to fumble around to find it later on. To my dismay, it wasn't the light itself I had to find, but the switch. There's also got to be a better way to switch between the incan and LED bulbs, not the current press once, incan turns on, press again and it turns off. Press switch after turning incan off and the LEDs come on. I'd recommend two separate push button switches, one for the incan and the other for the LED, possible on opposite sections of the bezel, at 12 and 6 o'clock perhaps. Make 'em larger so that they're easier to index. 2) Lessen the slack on the power cord. It kept dangling around despite the fact that I have an above average sized head. I'd like to see a Princeton Tec headlamp with a 1 watt or higher LED in a similar form factor as the Aurora---just a headband type strap without the upper head strap. One tightness adjustment point is enough for me. Have the batteries in the same housing as the light itself, kinda like the Matrix 2, but in a smaller size.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: a better switch, etc?

Hmm.

I don't find the switch hard to find by feel (perhaps I'd feel different w/gloves).

The thing I don't like is the way the switch works -- I hate having to cycle between modes every time I turn the light back on. Grr.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, anyone use lithiums in the Yukon? Any thoughts if this would pose a danger?

Thanks,

-john

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened

I think the Yukon is regulated (in a simle restrictor-type sense) to avoid the problems associated with using Lithiums...I plan to use 'em.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

My local REI store has the Yukon HL in stock. I eyeballed them, but didn't buy yet. Partially because...

I was slightly suprised at the $60 price tag. Ouch!

It looked like an EverLED. Same reflector, but with a slightly wider hole for the LED. Looks like a brass heatsink. I'm curious how it's mounted. It would be kind of interesting if they put in a PR base to house the LED! :)

Didn't notice any other changes.

So now you know they are there, someone go get one and give a full report!

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhrrggghhh!!! It's a disease! I need help!

-john

<<more and bigger>>

yukon-640x480.jpg

My impressions of the Yukon (non-HL)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically everything is the same as the standard Yukon with the exception of the main lamp.

The main lamp looks like the top of one of the EverLEDs and uses the reflector to focus the beam. Same reflector as the standard Yukon with the exception of a bit larger hole for the main LED. The LED has a brass heat sink - not super heavy looking. Does someone else make the LEDs with the funky lens, or is that specifically an EverLED thing?

The LS is pretty white.

The main issue is the reflector. It isn't very good on anything but the tightest focus. It's actually a bit better than with the standard bulb actually, but still splotchy with holes. I really think they should have used the NX05 optics. It may not be focusable that way, but it sure would be a lot better beam. The gotcha is you can't just buy an optic and slip it on because of the funky lens on the LED. Perhaps son Wrightwrite on the inside of the lens? Hmm.

All in all, I like it better than the standard Yukon (which is saying something) but not as well as I had hoped. This light with the NX05 (or equiv) would have kicked butt.

Sigh.

-john

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that the LED is one of the EverLED which is regulated. I am afraid that the one in Yukon might be simply resistored and I wish I am wrong:) The funky lens on the LED is a standard SE (Side Emitter) LS. I have 2 MegaCyclop from Lambda which use 5W SE and it works very well with Maglit reflector.

I agree that NX05 is best for 1W especially for headlamp. Light beam from NX05 is just great on trail. I have tried EverLED on PT Solo and found that its bright hot spot and weak periperal light is bad on poor-conditioned trail.

I'll love to see light beam comparison between EverLED and Yukon HL or Matrix II.

Alan

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:
Does someone else make the LEDs with the funky lens, or is that specifically an EverLED thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you refering to the Side Emitter (SE). It is available from sources other than EverLED. It just happens all EverLED's are side emitters.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

That headplate looks different. Also the hinge mechanism is a little different. I've always considered the hinge to be a weak point on the Yukon (especially compared to BD lights). Would you say there's been any improvement?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I forgot to mention that. Yes, the head plate is a bit bigger. It's better, but I didn't find the previous one lacking. I assumed the change was across both the Yukon and Yukon HL and meant to check my Yukons to see if they were all the same.

Both of my non-HL Yukons have the old style headplate, but my guess is newly produced units will come with the new one.

I'll have to take a look at the hinge. What specifically did not find lacking about it?

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I had not noticed, but the hinge is different. The pin screw is slightly thicker and they now use exposed hardware with larger heads. It's not quite as tidy as the previous setup, but it does look like it should be stronger.

There are now also bumps and a flap to create friction for the hinge (so it doesn't move as easily).

None of these things presented any obvious problem on my previous Yukons, but I doubt they would have changed them without some reason. They do appear to make things a bit more sturdy.

On the other hand, you have a good point about BD. The Zenix has a pretty impressive hinge setup. I don't have any of their other lights so can't compare.

-john

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It looks like they made the changes I wanted. Thicker screw and exposed hardware (so you can turn it without tools).

The old Yukon isn't what I would call faulty. It's just that the rest of the light is so darn solid that I would like to see the hinge on the same par. In fact, I can recall at least one CPF member who ran over a Tec 20 with his car, with no damage at all. Those bezels are really strong.

I'd have to say the Yukon is my most used and trusted headlamp, and I consider it to be the best on the market (at least for my purposes), without jumping to something like a Lupine, which I've never tried.