Streamlight 4AA 7 LED or LW3000?

tygger

Enlightened
i just ordered a Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. it seems like a great light and i was thinking of getting one as a gift for a friend. i wanted to get some feedback (aside from reviews) from people who have actually used the light. is it better than the LW3000 for example? can you use lithium batteries? are you glad you bought it?

tygger

JJHitt

Enlightened
I dont have a LW3000 and I suspect the LightWave has better run times; but the 4AA is really a great light. If I wanted to get a sceptical new comer hooked on LED lights, the 4AA would be where I would point them.

It would still be a favorite of mine even if i had paid 40 dollars for it instead of the 24 I actually did pay.

Rebus

Enlightened
The LW3000 has about 4 times the bright
runtime as the SL 4AA but it is not as
bright. SL says to only use alkalines
and that seems to be the smart opinion
around CPF also. Both are great lights
if used for their strong points.

-Rebus

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tygger said:
i just ordered a Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. it seems like a great light and i was thinking of getting one as a gift for a friend. i wanted to get some feedback (aside from reviews) from people who have actually used the light. is it better than the LW3000 for example? can you use lithium batteries? are you glad you bought it?

tygger

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several of each, and have used them under a variety of circumstances. Even though they are both LED lights, the comparison is almost, but not quite, "apples vs oranges" IMHO.I don't honestly believe that you can say that one is "better" than the other.
Here are the differences as I understand them:
1. huge diff in weight: LW3000 is 13.7 ounces w/batteries, the SL is 6.7 ounces>>approcximately double>>; I wouldn't carry an LW3000 for EDC buy I would an SL 4AA 7-LED.
2. <obvious> battery type
3. runtime: SL has an excellent runtime but the LW3000 should be just about double.
4. waterproofness: the SL is certified waterproof, as well as safe for use in explosive or hazardous environments; the LW3000 is only watertight to about a 2 foot depth
5. cost: Lightwave 3000 is "approximately double" the SL. Average good retail for the LW3000 is approx. $44.95, the SL is approx $23.95
6. warranty: the Lw products have a 3-year, the SL is lifetime

brightness? in my opinion, about the same

FYI: I love both lights, and wouldn't hesitate to own or give either one. They're both GREAT flashlights, but I'd probably decide which to own or give based on usage: the LW3000 is an excellent glovebox or "home" light, the SL is probably better for EDC or uses where a lighter light would be useful.Thanks to Brightguy; specs are from the info on his website /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Hope this is helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ken_nith

Newly Enlightened
I do not have a LW3000.
I have a SL 4AA 7LED, it is bright and cheap.
However, The light gets pretty warm, after it is on for about 30 mins.

4 lithium batteries, No! No! better not. Someone in this forum runs a SL4AA7LED with 3 lithium batteries & a dummy cells, It works fine and he claims that there is no more heat problem.

A little bit disappointed but for $20 that is fine.

StuU

Enlightened
I have had an SL7 4AA since Xmas. I've been running it with 3AA alkalines and a dummy cell. Doesn't get warm or overdrive the leds this way. Light output is *great* and batts last a long time...several months of daily usage. Using 3 lithiums with a dummy cell should be OK. But NOT 4 lithium AAs because the SL7 will absolutely burn up. Light output with 3 fresh alkaline AAs is comparable to the ARC LS or nearly so. I like the light weight and nice balance of this light. Solid switch and indestructible casing.

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
I do not own a LW3000 but I do own a 4AA-LED and it is one of my favorite lights. I think the size is just right, and the cost is not too prohibitive that I need an insurance policy to protect it (how much is an LW3000?). Quick story, One night last winter a friend of mine was bragging about his "out of the package" m*g AA being the best light he has ever used and I grabbed the Streamlight (4AA-LED) and proceeded to convince him of why he should run right out and pick one up ASAP. The comparison continued until I was tired of listening and I challenged him to a drop (throw) test. Fast forward 15 min...... After spiking my 4AA to the concrete the light gave up the ghost. Feeling let down and a bit retarded, I brought my wounded comrade into the warmth of home (snickering friend in-tow) and tried to explain that maybe it was just the batteries getting crushed or something, but it turned out to be a broken wire in the LED assembly. I sent it back to Streamlight and they fixed it, no hassles, and the assembly that was returned to me even seemed like a better engineered piece. Sorry for getting off topic a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

franken2

Newly Enlightened
I sold my 1st gen. sl4aa because of the heat buildup. nice bright light for its size though. got a lw3000 after. wont sell this one! nice info by steven vance. btw, nice meeting you briefly at gun show at boulevard armory last month. i bought the sf e1e/kl1 from howard at bulldog.com (a knowledgeable and honest dealer i found) and walked away smiling if you recall? which sf did you buy? not to ramble but it was cool to meet a cpf member locally.