What is the best turbo head for the 9P??

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for the best turbo head for the 9p Would it be the SRTH? If so where do you get one?
If not would it be the KT2? If so where to get one? Thanks in advance.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike:

If you can find a used 3" TH do so. It is awesome with the N2. I've not used the 2 1/2" to compare, but those who have comment how much tighter the 3" beam is.

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Bushman,

I just received a 2.5 inch SRTH turbo head and it puts out 15,000 candlepower--real measured candlepower--and is 30-50% brighter with a slightly large spot than my UKE SL-6.

It's also quite tiny.

I haven't seen the 3-inch head.

By the way, the measured candlepower of my Vector "1M CP" 137CO spotlight is 100,000 at its peak, so imagine if the same factor were applied to the SRTH!!!!! I'm not saying that all manufacturers do this, but, what does M*** Ins*** spec for a 6D light and what does it say on my Web site?

Cheers,

Richard

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The folks at Strategos told me that they thought SRT Supply in Florida had a few 3" TH's lying around.

I called SRT this morning and found they didn't have any 3" TH's, but they did have two of a discontinued old style 2 1/2" conical TH's complete with collars and N2's (edit: actually they merely said Lamp assemblies which I presumed to be N2's) . They offered the pair to me for $100, and I didn't know how to say no. (I need to find Size 15S' or Sean's picture showing the evolved designs of the TH's.)

Size15's

Flashaholic
lemlux,
Do you now? It's PK's photo. I can email you it if you like?
I have all those TurboHeads myself and should be able to get my own photos online before TTT as I now have access to webspace and within a week to a Sony F77.

What would I put on my 9P to run the N2? I suspect I would put the SRTH or T2.

Al
grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15S.

Please email me the photo. Thanks.

I just found a thread on the SF board where you and others linked to many PK photos. The links now show as dead links, probably because PK's site has expunged photos.

I'm hoping that the TH's I receive from SRT Supply are essentially the same as the SRTH's. They are described as conical with a collar -- are there more than one version that fit that description? Do the other versions have collars?

In any event, I'm hoping that the first three letters of SRT Supplies' name are a good omen. I see that LPS is selling the SRTH assemblies for $105.50 @ and the 9P / SRTH combo for > $200.

As you may recall from a prior thread, my 3" TH didn't give a good beam with either the N62 or the MN60, each of which I long since shipped across the pond to Jiing in your stomping grounds. The N62 beam lost most of it's center hole if I took the plastic spacer off the 3" TH, but the MN60 had a large peanut-shaped hole in the center of the beam.

I've ordered a MN61 to try with these TH's, a P9 and an A19. Hopefully it will focus in the 2 1/2" reflector.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone elaborate on the differences between the KT2 and the SRTH apart from thier outward appearances?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SRTH = Tighter beam pattern
SRTH = Lexan
KT2 = Pyrex
The KT2 is also much heavier and larger

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexan is not my first choice but I like the smaller lighter aspect of the SRTH and they seem to be available. I would buy yours in a heartbeat but I already have that money tied up in a 5w Surefire mod...

Size15's

Flashaholic
JT,

The length of the SRTH and the KT are the same.

The bulk of the KT is increased due to the 'cut outs' which also adds to the weight along with the Pyrex Lens.

Al

doubleE

Newly Enlightened

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Whats needed as I have noticed recently is that its difficult to find the accessories at SF.
It would be nice if somebody had a page with all the descriptions of the extension tubes like the A19, which is HA or other color plus how to make combinations like making a 6v to a 9v or even a 12v plus turbohead combos.
A long time ago a CPF member did just that and it was very helpful.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
EE thank you very much. I was looking for that thread and couldnt find it.

Dan-- Look at sable co. website they have descriptions for virtually every surefire part but no pictures...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the two TH's today. They turned out to be 12PM TH's with what Al advises are threads in front of the lens to accomodate an unobtainable IR filter.

I was surprised to find that the included LA's were both 4-cell lamps with unmarked black bases. They each are about as bright as my MN61, so I'm not sure if they are MN60's or N62's. (The N62 I formerly owned was unmarked black -- are all MN60's marked?)

I immediately called SRT back to see if they took the Th's off of 4 cell bodies (I would have offered to buy them.) The answer was no ... someone there just took the TH out of a parts bin and screwed them on a 3-cell body. I can see why no customers were impressed enough with the demo to buy the lights as assembled.

I would judge that the beam width on my 3" with N2 is not more than 1/2 as wide as the 12PM 2.5" head with mystery lamp or with the MN61. On reasonably fresh batteries the 105 Lumen N2 hotspot in the 3" is brighter, whiter, and throws farther than the 350 Lumen MN61 or the mystery L/A's. (People have posted that the 3.7 A current drain of the N62 is so great that it quickly becomes no brighter than and then dimmer than the MN61.)

Putting it another way, the diameter of the mystery lamp hotspot in the 12PM TH is not particularly different than a P61 hotspot at 35 feet.

As I only have one N2 I couldn't compare the N2 beam in the 2 1/2" reflector vs. the 3" on a side-by-side basis.

I imagine the person who just won Catdaddy's auction of of 3" TH with N1, 2 cell body, and clickie tailcap for > $180 will enjoy his 3" TH.

Gee...neither my kids nor I are inclined to burn up 123's with an N62 bulb. Brock reports that the 3.7 A N62 bulb driven by 4 @ 123's suffers a voltage drop from 12 V to 7.65 V compared to the 8.35 V with the 2.3 A MN61.

I'm tempted to drive these 500 Lumen TH's in project light(s) driven by 7 rechargeable Sub C, C, or D cells.

Al:

Is the SRTH beam pattern tighter than that of the 12PM head?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
He had to pay $192.50 and he out bid me at the last second; I tried to re-bid but was not fast enough.
mad.gif
mad.gif
Good info now I really want to find a 3".
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
With the many lamps I've got and experiemented with, I have not found a significant difference between the SRTH beam and the 12PM beam in terms of throw or beam narrowness.
However, the N2 is the best lamp I've found for the SRTH and this produces the best beam qualities.

The N62 is black unmarked Lamp Assembly. It does not have a frosted tip to the bulb. It will have a shorter outer contact spring and the springs will not be as 'bright' and shiny.

Most of the TurboHead lamp assemblies are now black and all black ones will be etched apart from the N62. It maybe that SureFire will start to label the N62 in the future.