surefire G2L KX4 vs M61L

upriver

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

Thinking of getting another surefire, for no good reason really. I currently have a G2 with malkoff M60L...great combo from what I've seen.

Now I'm trying to decide between getting the newer 120L surefire G2L or getting a G2+M61L. G2L would be $60-70, G2+M61L $105. I'm leaning towards the less efficient G2L because it's at least $30 cheaper and this light will get very minimal use (just a toy).

What amazes me is that the Malkoff gets 175 OTF lumens for 5 hours, tapering to a total of 7 hours. Surefire G2L, as far as I can tell, has tactical light level for 2 hours (above 50 lumens)...for a total of 9 hours runtime.

***Now unless I'm missing something, the Malkoff is a LOT more efficient. Am I missing something?? It's regulation seems to be much better as well, as the G2L is down to 50 lumens at 2 hours, while M61L holds 175 for 5.

Howecollc

Enlightened
Let's try this again, but from a different angle. I'm looking to switch my old Nitrolon bezel Surefire G2 incan over to LED. I'm looking at either a Malkoff M61L module or a Surefire KX4 head. I was hoping someone here had both units and could offer a comparison between the two.

Primarily what I wondered was:

-which of the units is less blue (more neutral)
-which has more spill
-which is brighter overall

trialt

Newly Enlightened
why not go with the M61WL ? I have one that I use with my 6P and it has a very nice tint.

Howecollc

Enlightened
I've always been partial to "cool white" 4100K fluorescent lighting for work spaces like the kitchen, garage, etc. As such, I tend to prefer neutral LED tints as well.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent used either, but I do have a M61W. I would be willing to bet that the malkoff is superior in pretty much every catagory, although I can't be absolute certain about throw, the KX4 has a larger reflector.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire has a tight spot with a large, dim spill. The spill isn't really useful because it's too dim. The hotspot is really tight. I have 2 of the Surefires and both have blue beams. One, an older G2 has a Malkoff M61w in it. The other, a newer KX4 is stock as the head can't really take any drop-ins.

Your best bet is a Malkoff. It beats the snot out of the Surefire in every possible category.

Last edited: