New RRT-0: no more Jetbeam lights

Budda

Enlightened
Hi.

A few weeks ago I started here a thread asking advices for a really low output light. One of the "winner" of the thread was the new RRT-0 with infinite output.
I owned many jetbeam's flashlights: Jet I v3.0, Jet IIIM, RRT-0 R2.
I edc my RRT-0 for about a year and I'm satisfied both with the performances and the details (the same for all other my JB lights).
So, I bought the new RRT-0 from an European official dealer.

It cost me: 110€, around 150$ an expansive upgrade...

IF you think that this little light cost as much as a thrunite catapult (that is a really well made light, both in details and in materials), you should have big hopes on the RRT-0.
At least, it should be as perfect as the other jetbeams, wouldn't it?

When it arrived and I opened the box, I thought It was a mistake: the manual referred to the old R5 version with 5 levels :shakehead at least the light was the right one.
And I didn't found the clip in the box, while in the manual and on the website it's pictured. :shakehead:shakehead

And there's more:

cimg0273medium.jpg

cimg0272medium.jpg

I always thought that JB's guys know the difference between knurling and lettering, since in the most cheap chinese-copy products don't have the lettering printed ON the knurling, and the knurling is well machined (you can see that there are zones where the knurling machining isn't complete, and other where it's rough).

I wrote to JB saying that the RRT-0 was my latest Jetbeam flashlight.
Jetbeam's assitance said that they were really sorry (summarizing):
- the clip is missing because we had the flashlight ready to be sold & shipped but we had a delay with the clips. A clip will be sent to me (don't know when).
- the manual wasn't still ready, neither on the paper neither on their website. One should be sent me by e-mail this week (which is ended 1 and an half hours ago and I still didn't received).

Guess, they didn't mentioned the knurling problem, but they asked me to accept their "sincerest apologies for the inconvenience I fear we have caused you"

Maybe I shouldn't expect a great assistance from a customer care service that last year almost make kill my Jet I because of a construction problem: the tailcap screws fine on the body, but at the end they weren't aligned.
Not too evident, but visible.
imgp6575.jpg
imgp6575.jpg
imgp6575.jpg

I studied for a while technical design, and realized for they (remind, a customer care of a expansive flashlights brand) this picture which says why I was concerned about water infiltrations.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They said that I shouldn't be warried because of the o-ring. O-ring, a magical component that ensure water proof without being tightly "squeezed" between 2 layers of metal :sssh:

So to prove my ideas I removed the head, lubricate the o-ring and screwed tightly the tailcap of my Jet I, after I put it in a glass of water (obviously the water didn't enter from the top)
IPX8 standards? less than 30 seconds in a glass of water.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After this picture they sent me a new tailcap, which worked fine. Now is waterproof.
Lucky I wasn't under the rain using a 14500 :sick2:

I hope that from my experience you'll understand the professionalism of Jetbeam.
I doubt that a car manufacturer would dare to sell his cars without security belts or bumper simply for a delay, since you pay for the whole car... and it should not simply work: shouldn't be errors in the external structure body, since the money I give you are perfect.

An EX Jetbeam buyer.

Last edited:

JeffN

Enlightened
I see several minor misspellings and punctuation errors in your review and therefore reject the entire review as unacceptable.

Seems silly of me, doesn't it?

glock45

Newly Enlightened
I see several minor misspellings and punctuation errors in your review and therefore reject the entire review as unacceptable.

No. After reading your post, it seems quite rational to me.

srfreddy

Enlightened
And I'm also pretty sure the knurling is smooth near the lettering, per your photo. I'm fine with Lettering on knurling, who cares?

recDNA

Flashaholic
For that price it should be really nice. A flat for the lettering would look nicer and allow the lettering to last longer. I think $150 is a lot of money for this flashlight. That is the real problem. if it cost $89.99 I'd say it was well worth the price. I'd like to see max at 1.5 amps too. Put an S2 in it and drive it harder and the lettering on the knurling wouldn't bother me a bit! I love my TC-R2 so I have no beef with JB

bluecrow76

Enlightened
It appears you received a couple lights that shouldn't have passed through quality control. At least the first one was an easy tail cap replacement fix, although it sounds like you had to go through an exercise to get it replaced.

I looked through CPF for review of the RRT-0 specifically looking for pictures. In all of them the knurling is nice and tight, and the lettering doesn't overlap it. I agree that I wouldn't accept the light you received, unless I had purchased it at a discounted price from a seconds sale.

That official European dealer should have no problem replacing the entire light for you, especially if they value return business.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry to hear that, my RRT2 R5 Raptor is really well made and I'm shocked that JB would let your light pass QC....was gonna get a RRT-0 but I think I'll hold off for now.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the RRT-0 its perfect I love it. Looks like you got a light that got thought QC without being noticed. Any good dealer would replace it for you with no questions asked did you ask the dealer to replace it ? If you did find a new dealer I paid $110 to my door.
I still would be sending it back to the dealer because of the
knurling. Every Jetbeam I have is perfect and I would not be happy with that knurling if it was me.

This is jetbeams very own policy on warranty that there dealers should be following.

14 days free replacement: We will repair or replace a light within 14 days of purchase if it is afflicted with a manufacturing defect. If the problem of the returned light calls for a replacement, we will replace a same model for customers. If the model has been discontinued, customers will receive a product with similar or better performance.

cheers

Budda

Enlightened

Sorry but english isn't my first language, and was around 2 am when I wrote the message. I think that the misspellings should be gone now.

Guys, you hit the point: a 150$ flashlight should not have these mistakes.
Because the pictures that are on JB website show a really perfect flashlight
10.jpg

cimg0273medium.jpg

And, in the Jet I case, the customer care didn't know how an o-ring works!

Last edited:

JeffN

Enlightened
Sorry but english isn't my first language, and was around 2 am when I wrote the message. I think that the misspellings should be gone now.

Budda,

I came back to this thread after seeing one of your posts in another thread and realized that when I posted here I didn't notice you are in Italy. I apologize for what may be seen as an insensitive post and assure you I did not mean to be critical or demeaning of your skills in English. I have a high regard for those who can communicate as clearly as you have in a second language. Again, my apologies if you misread my intent.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Budda...if you bought your RRT-0 from an authorized Jetbeam dealer, you may want to ask them to exchange it for a new one. I bought a different JB light from an authorized dealer and it came dead on arrival, but the dealer had no problem exchanging it for me.

Budda

Enlightened
The "line" visible over the Jetbeam logo is not a reflection, I can see it with naked eye.
cimg0426medium.jpg

cimg0429medium.jpg

cimg0435medium.jpg

cimg0437medium.jpg

cimg0441medium.jpg

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light should never have passed Quality Control. Contact the vendor you bought it from and figure out how to return it for a different one.

If this was a $25 DX light I'd say it's acceptable, but for $150 I expect more from my lights. Jetbeam does make some pretty nice stuff, so send it back and get a different one.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
That light should never have passed Quality Control. Contact the vendor you bought it from and figure out how to return it for a different one.

If this was a $25 DX light I'd say it's acceptable, but for $150 I expect more from my lights. Jetbeam does make some pretty nice stuff, so send it back and get a different one.

+1 Well said.

Budda

Enlightened
Guys, you are right. Maybe the guy of the quality check was sleeping.
But you don't ask yourself why the customer care, who has seen the pictures, didn't mention this problem?
And the only solution they told me was a clip (don't know when) and a digital manual (never arrived)...

I have a certain idea...

Last edited:

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, you are right. Maybe the guy of the quality check was sleeping.
But you don't ask yourself why the customer care, who has seen the pictures, didn't mention this problem?
And the only solution they told me was a clip (don't know when) and a digital manual (never arrived)...

I have a certain idea...

Man you need to talk to the dealer from where you got it from not Jetbeam. Jetbeam has changed there structure of the way they handle warranty. It all needs to be handled by the dealers now. This is better for everybody. Who wants to send warranty items overseas when you can just take it back to the place of purchase.
I was talking to my dealer only yesterday about it and that is what he told me. We also looked at six RRT-0 he had in stock all where perfect so you should have no problems having it replaced.

Have you not contacted the dealer you purchase from yet ?
If not why ?
As everybody on here is telling you to do this. I am sure they will swap you over with a new RRT-0 or a new body at the least.

cheers

PS: No more replys untill you contact dealer :thumbsup:

fl0t

Enlightened
My RRT-0 has a little knurling under the letters too:

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

It doesn't bother me at all.
Your case seems worst than mine of course but I don't think you should put the "Never again" label on the Jetbeams yet.

I would have replaced the Jet I right away as everyone pointed out.
Regarding the RRT-0 I think I would have given a little thought if it bothers me enough to wait the shipping back and forth again. I think I would have requested the clip and the manual to be mailed as soon as possible and try to squeeze a 15% discount on my next purchase.

Good luck anyways! :wave:

rocketcbr929

Newly Enlightened
I just got my RRT-0 the other day and the lettering over the knurling is pretty much identical to fl0t's, so certainly not as bad as Budda's. This is my first Jetbeam, and although I thought it was a bit odd for it to be this way, I kind of passed it off as just the way they are. The performance of the light has pretty much overshadowed the issue for me. Maybe I should expect more...I don't know.