Best all purpose ZL headlamp on 1xAA?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi all. I have a ZL SC60w and a SC51. I really like the Zebralights. Now I want a headlamp model. I'm thinking the only thing I probably WON'T be doing with it, at least not much, would be reading. Mostly for working around the house, working on a car, maybe setting up when camping, things like that. I'm wanting to get some advice from those of you that have multiple ZL headlamps, what would be the best "general purpose" model? Since I have an SC51 and some other 1xAA lights, and several good Eneloops, I guess I would prefer to stay with that format. If it turns out a 123 model would be better, I could live with that, I would just prefer it to be 1xAA. Keep in mind when I say "general purpose", extreme brightness or super long runtimes don't really figure into that equation. I just want something that will work well with my task in front of me, but also give me at least a little reach if I need to look a few feet farther away sometimes. Setting up a campsite is the best scenario I can envision ATM. So, what say ye folks. I gotta have a ZL headlamp! :)

srfreddy

Enlightened
I would say H51Fc when/if it comes out-hiking/camping, that high CRI flood will be great at staying on the trail, highlighting the browns that LED's normally just don't reflect. Also helps rummaging through bags and such. 130lms is probably plenty for those tasks, and still beats out 80 lumen H501w by a huge margin.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea when a high cri model is coming out from Zebralight?

I seriously think that I may never purchase another EDC light unless it's high cri.

--flatline

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't wait, get an H51w. I love mine; best headlamp I've ever owned. I do use mine for reading sometimes, and I find the hotspot to be a bit small to make reading easy, so I use DC-fix on the lens to spread out the hotspot. The beam profile becomes nearly identical to one of the F models, and I can always take the DC-fix off if I want to have throw, and put another piece on when I want flood again. Two beams, one light; works fantastically.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. I have a ZL SC60w and a SC51. I really like the Zebralights. Now I want a headlamp model. I'm thinking the only thing I probably WON'T be doing with it, at least not much, would be reading. Mostly for working around the house, working on a car, maybe setting up when camping, things like that. I'm wanting to get some advice from those of you that have multiple ZL headlamps, what would be the best "general purpose" model? Since I have an SC51 and some other 1xAA lights, and several good Eneloops, I guess I would prefer to stay with that format. If it turns out a 123 model would be better, I could live with that, I would just prefer it to be 1xAA. Keep in mind when I say "general purpose", extreme brightness or super long runtimes don't really figure into that equation. I just want something that will work well with my task in front of me, but also give me at least a little reach if I need to look a few feet farther away sometimes. Setting up a campsite is the best scenario I can envision ATM. So, what say ye folks. I gotta have a ZL headlamp! :)

I have two ZL headlamps H501 and H51w:
IMG_6342.jpg

You really can't go wrong with any of the ZL angle lights. For close-up tasks, I recommend the either the H501w or H51Fw. Whatever light you choose, do yourself a big favor and make a lanyard/headlamp mod like above. This simple mod will increase the effectiveness of your ZL light like tenfold because you can carry your light and headband with you at all times and ready for use at a moment's notice. No longer will you be one of those people who have to keep their headlamps in their bag or car and can't use their headlamps when they are needed.

I am typing this post with my H51w (worn around my neck) shining light on my desk to prevent eye fatigue. When I leave the house in a few minutes, my H51w will be tucked behind my shirt and ready for use at moment's notice again.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have two ZL headlamps H501 and H51w:
IMG_6342.jpg

You really can't go wrong with any of the ZL angle lights. For close-up tasks, I recommend the either the H501w or H51Fw. Whatever light you choose, do yourself a big favor and make a lanyard/headlamp mod like above. This simple mod will increase the effectiveness of your ZL light like tenfold because you can carry your light and headband with you at all times and ready for use at a moment's notice. No longer will you be one of those people who have to keep their headlamps in their bag or car and can't use their headlamps when they are needed.

I am typing this post with my H51w (worn around my neck) shining light on my desk to prevent eye fatigue. When I leave the house in a few minutes, my H51w will be tucked behind my shirt and ready for use at moment's notice again.

Thanks all for your time. Davidt1, I've read the "entire" ZL mods thread about twice now. You've got some nice ideas there! I wanted to contribute a little to the thread. I'd been thinking about this for awhile before I decided I "had" to have a ZL headlamp for my collection. So, I took an old ballcap that I new I could just leave in my car or whatever, and made me a Zebralight cap. Took some trial and error with the little square hole in the brim, but it really works great with both my SC51 AND my SC60w as they use the same clip. The clips are so nice on the ZL's, they hold very firmly on my cap. I just cut the hole with an Exacto knife. Here's a couple pics. I realize not everyone might want to do this, but I have a lot of caps and it didn't bother me to cut a hole in the brim for one just dedicated to holding my Zebralights. :laughing:
DSCN7311.JPG
DSCN7310.JPG

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
What the deal with the high cri.

The link mentioned a lower Lm for the same amount of time. Different temp in the light but cant understand the difference.

I just got a H51 (my first ZL) and love it. Amazing run times and quiet bright. Didn't think the 0.2 Lm would be usefully but very good at night when I don't want to lose all of my night vision. Previously thought 3 lm from my Fenix LD10 was great.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Its for the quality of light-high CRI replicates a hard driven incan white, which brings out browns more.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the deal with the high cri.

Maybe someone can post up or link to a spectrum output graph, but my understanding is that traditional white LEDs put out very little in the red (and yellow?) part of the spectrum. High CRI allows you to view the orange-red-yellow-brown colors better. I'm not expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. I'm trying to understand it also.

EDIT: Oh, here's the thread I remember on this topic:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...h-CRI-and-its-significance&highlight=high+CRI

Looks like traditional white LEDs have trouble accurately rendering blue-green, and from yellow into red. But they blast blue.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
Thanks for the threads guys.

I really did see the benefit of a the high cri. Especially with the tree shots.

Every time I buy a light, get it, then fall in love with it, I find another really good one.

I have really got to stop reading these forums.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I buy a light, get it, then fall in love with it, I find another really good one.

I have really got to stop reading these forums.

You just have to become a neutral/CRI snob... :D Saves me a lot of money not buying nifty lights that are saddled with a cool tint emitter.

I was planning on getting an SC60w, but honestly, my SC50w+ meets all my needs for an EDC pocket light, but I think I *will* get one of the new SC51c models... If I like it better than my 50w+ I'll have to find some other use for it... maybe give it to my wife to replace the old Quark AA/R2 I gave her for Christmas a couple years ago.

pblanch

Enlightened
Got an opportunity to take a long walk outside with my new H51. Very much like this flash. I have it on H2 100lm and is just fantastic.

Still getting used to the UI but the ultra low (L2) is perfect for having a little light with out attracting the attention of others when I got home and checking the mail box and opening the front door.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saves me a lot of money not buying nifty lights that are saddled with a cool tint emitter.

Exactly! Nowadays I'm passing on all sorts of nifty lights. "Is it neutral or high CRI? No? Then I'll pass, thanks." Snobbery does save a ton of money to be sure. That's why I don't own a Saint yet. Waiting for that high CRI version to appear.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an H51 and an SC51w. The SC51w rotates in and out as my EDC but the H51 functions almost exclusively as my trail running headlamp.

Lately, I have begun to run with both lights; the H51 in front and the SC51w on the top strap. At first I was just using the H51 until it died (or, switched to a lower mode actually) and then switching on the SC51w for the rest of the run. That is, until I discovered how much more I liked the tint of the SC51w. Even though it is not as bright (though only slightly less so) I feel more confident with each step as the neutral light helps me distinguish roots, rocks and ruts more easily. When almost everything you are looking at is some shade of brown/tan, it is important to be able to distinguish between them.

I imagine the High CRI will be even better at this task, however I can scarcely imagine an improvement over the XX51w. The other thing I noticed, is that lighting up the whole of the trail in front of me is more important than seeing off into the distance ahead of me. As such, I ordered a sheet of diffuser film from shao.fu.tzer in the marketplace and it allowed me to achieve exactly that.

As I mentioned, the SC51w often serves as my EDC so in that rotation I remove the diffuser film for a little more throw. I mention this because it would be impossible with one of the flood versions of the ZL. Don't get me wrong, if I had all the money in the world, I would own several of each ZL including the flood versions but in my present state, the diffuser film acts the part.

In conclusion, go for the ZL H51w and a sheet of diffuser film for the most versatile AA headlamp out there.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some DC-fix on my H51w several weeks ago and haven't taken it off yet... it really makes the beam much more useable for headlamp type tasks... It doesn't make the beam 'pure flood', but rather spreads out the hotspot and makes it blend more gradually into the spill, which I like. I have some on my SC50w+ too, and like what it does with the beam, but have been considering taking it off so I'll have some more throw again. Best part of it is that you can take it off or put it on as you please, so there really isn't any reason to buy separate F versions.

edc3

Enlightened
I put some DC-fix on my H51w several weeks ago and haven't taken it off yet... it really makes the beam much more useable for headlamp type tasks... It doesn't make the beam 'pure flood', but rather spreads out the hotspot and makes it blend more gradually into the spill, which I like. I have some on my SC50w+ too, and like what it does with the beam, but have been considering taking it off so I'll have some more throw again. Best part of it is that you can take it off or put it on as you please, so there really isn't any reason to buy separate F versions.

Which DC-Fix did you use? Any idea if it leaves a residue when removed or are you using the static cling one? Beamshots??? :poke:

Thanks

mrlysle

Enlightened
Which DC-Fix did you use? Any idea if it leaves a residue when removed or are you using the static cling one? Beamshots??? :poke:

Thanks
Get your DC-fix here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...aserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service& No, it doesn't leave any residue. It has an adhesive backing to it. You can just pick at the edge with your fingernail, and peel it right off. I took some photos of my Fenix PD31 before and after the application of DC-fix. You can see them here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312711-Update-on-my-PD31-beam-with-photos
The diffusion film is really great stuff. Get ya' some!