Goopy crap on my LEDs!

bbb74

Enlightened
Was messing around with my camera taking pictures of leds ... and discovered goopy crap! I figure somebody on here will know what it is and if it matters. None of these torches have been modded, all are as purchased new.

Quark AA nw - goopy!
quarkaanw.jpg

Same torch
quarkaanw2.jpg

Same torch
quarkaanw3.jpg

Quark turbo aa - small bit of goop
quarkaaturbo.jpg

Same turbo goop
quarkturboaa.jpg

Preon Revo S2 - great!
prionrevos2.jpg

Fenix LD20 R4
fenixld20.jpg

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I would venture to guess that it is the no-clean flux residue left over from the attachment process. Some solder pastes have a higher percentage of solids and thus a higher percentage of residues left behind. The first LED looks as though flux may have been manually added prior to reflow to aid in wetting.

bbb74

Enlightened
On the quark nw photos, you can see the goop on the surface of the LED itself. You can see the diffraction its causing moving the lines on the led surface.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes when we are manufacturing an LED module, there may be a need to add flux for rework purposes. It is done by hand usually using a small brush. I would guess that this LED got manually fluxed and some flux residues accidentally were brushed on the LED.

DimmerD

Enlightened
In the third pic down is that a screw tip sticking out of the LED, it's right around the 2 o'clock position? Sure looks like one!

bbb74

Enlightened
In the third pic down is that a screw tip sticking out of the LED, it's right around the 2 o'clock position? Sure looks like one!

I kind of thought that but I doubt there's any reason for a screw that small to be anywhere around. It might be a small chip in the surface or something?

You can see the goop on the led surface creating a shadow on the qaark turbo one ... I wonder what that does to its R5 rating. Not that I have noticed a problem though.

bbb74

Enlightened
Ok I had to stay up late to get a shot of the alleged screw tip :)

I don't think its a screw tip, to my mind it looks like a metal shaving. I'm not sure if its in the silicone or on top of it. Its pretty hard to get shots at this scale, the depth of field is like a 10th of a millimetre, if I stop down any further I'll just lose sharpness due to diffraction. Here's the photos:

img6423t.jpg

img6421g.jpg

img6415e.jpg

img6423t.jpg

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's solder splatter. My concern is that flux will darken from heating and over time. Also, flux will corrode parts and circuit traces if not completely cleaned off. I'd send 'em back to FourSevens. I'm surprised that work passed QC....

KLowD9x

Banned
My 4Sevens Quark MiNiAA2 has this same crud on the emitter. Well up the side of the LED dome and it is even visible in the emitted beam if shown on a smooth wall. I never let it bother me as I thought it was the adhesive they used to attach the LED.

alan98vw

Newly Enlightened

+2

If it is solder flux on the LED, you can use alcohol to clean it up. Some solder flux is water soluble, can be cleaned by just water. But I would use alcohol becaue it will evaporate quicker.

bbb74

Enlightened
Hmm ok I'll double check with 4sevens to see if its anything to worry about. I really love the turbo so I doubt it is affecting it. The aa2 nw though, does get hotter than the others even though its one bin lower than the turbo, and the same bin as the LD20 R4. I think(?) - I think the neutral white is an R4. Or is it an R3... Its interesting what you discover when you start pointing a macro lens at everything. I highly recommend against pointing it at yourself!! :)