Bushwalking AA (2-3 cell) headlamp recommendations required

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am looking at a worthy replacement for my Princeton-tec Corona headlamp. The below are the key points I am after

1. Must be IP7 or better immersion standard.
2. Powerful beam with good flood light ability
3. Handle any type of AA chemistry
4. Must, and repeat must, be able to either remember output level or start from low to high.
5. Please let strobe function be so deeply hidden that I can never find it as highly unlikely to use it. I carry a PLB.
6. Light as possible.
7. Variable power levels from reading to melting rocks.

I have just brought a Surefire Saint and perfect control system reasonable but not brilliant light (BD Storm better in colour and reach) tough as nails and honestly best stripped down to Minimus configuration unless you are planning a long night work. It is a great light but heavy and the LED rather behind the times but please Surefire do not change the User Interface as that is what a tired, cold and stuffed walker wants.

I have the Black Diamond Storm and very good but AAA and has a UI that annoys people with the high to low dim. If that could be reversed great but not AA sadly.

The reasons for AAs

a. CR123A are mega expensive and hard to get in Tassie.
b. My GPS, phone charger are AA so great to standardise on one battery type.
c. AA offers a good weight to power trade-off.

I have ordered a Zebralight as a backup to the above but not looking forward to the control system. Love my Jetbeam RRT-0 R5torch for its AA/CR123A feature, power and UI and would love to have a headlamp with such output and ease of use.

A light weight double AA would be great or a more powerful three cell job as good. Must admit I am a gear freak so ability to run other cell types would be great. Output, well lumens only is part of the story but 255 or better would be great if as well handled as my Jetbeam torch.

What are your thoughts and recommendations. Cost, well I brought a Surefire Saint so not price adverse.

Cheers

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ent, are you looking for a combination beam...both flood and/or throw? Or powerful even flood? Or powerful directional flood, which is a little hotter in the center (often preferred for walking/running at night)? Corona was a directional flood IIRC. And what's your position on tint?

You seem to be a pretty sophisticated user, so maybe its time to step up to rechargeable 18650 cells? That would allow you more powerful / longer running light options, solves your problem of not being able to find cells (once you order a bunch), and gives you easy answers to all your requirements except #3 (eg, Spark with diffuser or with reflector pulled; Zebralight H60).

However if you must stick to AA, then it sounds like a battery pack is right for you, despite the weight. Not a lot of rock-melting flood options on 1xAA or 2xAA. There are some AA rock-melters with battery pack and throw however (such as Fenix, Petzl, PT). Have a gander at the threads in my sig line for starters. Since many of your wants conflict with one another, you'll be having to make some serious compromises. The AA requirement is your biggest obstacle. But I *do* understand the desire to standardize on a battery type, I'm the same way.

I'm also with you on the 2xAA option. It is bone-headedly overlooked by the manufacturers IMHO. Petzl has the 2xAA Pixa but it is not, repeat not brilliant (although it could and should be!). I recently "made my own 2xAA zebralight". If you ran two H51Fs you could be putting out 380 Lm of directional flood for an hour or 190 Lm for 2.5 hours. That should tickle your fancy...those are 18650 numbers on 2xAA!!

It also may be time for you to contact one of our custom builders here on CPF...for example, ask Ahorton what he could cook up for you...

Last edited:

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bolster

Thanks for such a detailed reply. The questions on flood verses depth could be typically answered with "I want it all and I want it now" type answer but as they say "you can not change the laws of optics" Common-sense suggests that most of my lamp use is wandering around in huts and tents. But when I get side-tracked on a side-track there is the night shuffle home. Here a nice broad beam that matches the human eye is wonderful for walking by. Strong point of the Corona and Saint. But at times when geographically challenged a long reach beam is something that really feel the need for. Then you have to stop and think you have to carry it for eight days and as a self porter I tend to carry way too much anyway.

The Storm solution is ideal as a concept with good flood lights and good beam. The Saint is rather a disappointment with the brightness and tint. Rather old fashion blue caste for my liking. But they have nailed the user interface.

The ideal would be a Saint control system for the main beam but with the grunt found on the Jetbean RRT0 V5 backup up with the flood leds from a Storm running on two AAs. I have a Brunton 3W lamp with twin AA packs and the option of a C cell pack. Build quality indifferent but kills the Apex (eight AA cell version) beam but around camp you become highly disliked. In a way though it is neat system with the AA battery packs.

AA standardisation is the drive as GPS will either be quite happy chewing on a couple of batteries a trip of stuff itself with every battery you have. Also you get involved in an unplanned "search and rescue" mission for some-thing like camera someone lost and you run out of batteries for the lamp later on.

I like the idea as well as two head lamps. One for man duty two to three AA and a backup of one AA. I have brought a Zebralight with that in mind as the backup. But I would like a "proper" AA main lamp. The biggest frustration is control systems as once a lamp goes high there goes your night vision and other people around you that feel a CR2032 dead flat cap lamp is all they needed until you rocked in at the hut.

As suppose I am so impressed by the electronics and optical performance of the Jetbeam AA/CR1234A torch and the flood led of the storm I was hoping someone had put that together in a IPX7 or better case. I well re-read you post and have a think. You are right the AA market is rather empty of lights with Storm type features.

Cheers

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Storm and agree it has a nice flood beam although according to the test on this site it is very inefficient (uses 4 times the current of the spot beam).

Anyway, you might look at the BD Icon. It doesn't meet all of your requirements of course but it is 3 AA and it does have memory (which is sorely lacking in the Storm as well). It has a high (Icon) of 100 lumens. Is water resistant rather than waterproof.

Post whatever you end up with. It will be interesting to see what area you decide to compromise in.

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
Spark should have a 2AA soon called the SD5
sd5.jpg

or they have a single AA st-5 with xml
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?244466-ST5-series-headlamp-from-Spark-Tech-XML-version-ST5-released

Though not familiar with their UI, If you went 4AA Id say the fenixHP20 with homemade diffuser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZo4upPpSSA

If you like the jetbeam, why not use it in a fenix headband?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that's the SD5, eh? Cool! Where can I read more about it? If I search for it on CPF I'm not finding anything. Is the SD5 a flood?

Ent

Newly Enlightened
The Water-tightness requirement sinks my favourite walking or hiking headlamp, the Petzl MYO RXP.
Pity, its rain proof at least.

Yeap. A friend has one and loves it but another friend that runs a bushwalking tour company has found out the hard way with Petzel that after a few months mositure gradually gets to them and has lost a lot of Petzl during trips that he is changing away from them. Again Petzl must be asked "what were they thinking".

Spark looks interesting in both the single AA and very neat looking double AA models.

With headbands designed to hold torches do they really work well when in an active activity? I have never used one but not sure if they are "clunky"" in the real world.

Cheers

PS why does this site log you out continuously. Extremely annoying board setting!!!

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeap. A friend has one and loves it but another friend that runs a bushwalking tour company has found out the hard way with Petzel that after a few months mositure gradually gets to them and has lost a lot of Petzl during trips that he is changing away from them. Again Petzl must be asked "what were they thinking".

Spark looks interesting in both the single AA and very neat looking double AA models.

With headbands designed to hold torches do they really work well when in an active activity? I have never used one but not sure if they are "clunky"" in the real world.

Cheers

PS why does this site log you out continuously. Extremely annoying board setting!!!

It doesn't log me out so check your personal setting.

beast1210

Newly Enlightened

depends on the light, my fenix pd20 works great, but if use my eagletac p20a2 its a bit floppy if running or jumping, but otherwise pretty stable, oh and mine doesnt log me out either

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Received a reply back from Surefire and they are planning to release a Minimums double AA version of the Saint. Might be promising if they can make it retro-fitted but have no idea what is their plan.

Been looking at the Spark headlights but can not find a website for them specifically. Appears to me that they take a basic tube and whack varying degrees of emitter in this with a range of batteries types. The twin CR123 or single 18650 looks novel idea with the frosted lens but while a great single LED lamp it misses the flood led feature. Reviews are far and few and besides sadly not AA compatible. Interesting to read that according to a bike rider on the forum the 500 lumen setting is not noticeably brighter the 340 lumens so that might be the point of diminishing returns for the lumen mad. Sort of get sucked into that aspect of lights like Tim the Toolman, power, power, and more power,

Yet to put the Saint or the BD Storm to the test in the real world of bushwalking as the next walk is scheduled in thee weeks time. Be interesting to see what works best. Big issue with headlamps in huts is blinding the less lumen mad.

Looked at the various torch to headlamp converters but have yet to take the punt as mail-order, even buying in Australia, means the postage costs more than the headband.

Of the big players as commented they all seem to have not updated the AA offerings except for Petzl MYO but as mentioned that zigs on water protection standards.

Can not but help to notice that Jet-Beam makes fantastic torches with great battery options but no headlamps. I would have thought that the headlamp market would be bigger but appears torches rule.

When walking three hours over rugged ground headlamp comfort becomes an issue along with multi-purpose features with you reading, cooking, packing up, walking over challenging terrain, and the issue of track marker spotting at long range. Not an easy mix of features to achieve. The Storm does it well but AAA limit time lit and the "wrong" output sequence compromises it further. Still an impressive light.

Might be after an impossible range of features. But a Storm running on two AAs would have more MAH and not much bigger size. Does make me wonder as with regulated circuits the need for four 1.5 cells compared to two is rather unnecessary unless it hides a dark secret.

Cheers Brett

Last edited:

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
oh you picky Tasmanians... maybe its the cold that's getting to you guys all the way down there. Should come up to Sydney.

AA head torches are going to be a tricky thing to get. Especially with such specific features.

Personally I don't use a GPS so i have less things to pair together. I'm running a Surefire E2DL and a Petzl Tactikka XP at the moment. Waiting on a Saint at the moment to stick with CR123's. And I get what you mean by them being expensive - Woolies has them for like $12 for one...!!! I've just taken to buying them in bulk online. Pick up about a dozen now and again online when I place an order somewhere and I haven't run out yet.

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi Nick-nack

Visit Sydney? Do people do that? Much rather be tied and staked to an ant hill but each to their own:devil: Give my regards to the Sydney funnel web.

It does rather amaze me though the waterproof feature gets missed by more than a few manufactures of "outdoor" electronics. Petzl is a ripper for this. The AA is not an uncommon requirement as you can get cameras, GPS, UHF, SPOT and even phone chargers running under that format without much of an issue. Try that spread with other battery formats. It is bad enough estimating battery requirement without mixing types. As for low to high in output direction that is not just logical and as for having a SOS function in a standard cycle through selection that reeks of lack of thought or cheap electronics.

The Saint which you are getting has the right construction and controls with the AA option hindered by a very solid battery pack for long distant walking where pack volume and weight suffers from the death of a 100 grams here and there. But honestly the tint of the LED is rather unpleasant which makes it look rather dimmer than the stated 100 lumen figure. I am somewhat disappointed with the Saint light but love or respect the rest of the design. The BD Storm main light and Jetbeam RTT0 V5 both have better colour.

In Tassie we encounter a lot of mainlanders with a variety of rather annoying items such as roaring petrol stoves that imitate the pollution of a city bus or lighting that is a bright beam that knocks out night vision. In warmer climates where you are outdoor not such an issue but crammed in an old trapper's hut as the the weather turns nasty to deadly such things quickly become obnoxious.

Just be aware when buying bulk lithiums you can run foul of couriers as one large USA battery supplier will not ship to Australia as they claims that 50% of their consignments get stopped at Customs. I wrote to Customs and they have no ban but many couriers will refuse to onforward them in Australia. Australia Post will not ship them by general mail and requires a massive paperwork filling exercise to ship them by road. Yeap, if they do not know you can get them through but if they find out then you can be charged with shipping dangerous goods. Yeap more than a few tourists arrive with gas cylinders in their luggage so people do ignore these things. The ban is still new (two years I think) so enforcement has been patchy but growing. A dear old alkaline or NiMH sails through unmolested:)

Cheers Brett

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The twin CR123 or single 18650 looks novel idea with the frosted lens but while a great single LED lamp it misses the flood led feature...

Brett, just wanted to make sure you knew the reflector can be pulled out...removed...and then you get fantastic wide even very bright flood. See the Spark entry in the Flood Beam List in my sig for a beamshot, look for the Brandocommando shot...now that's a quality flood beam!!

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bolster

Thanks for the link. Must admit that the Spark range looks to be addictive. Might wind up with more than one or two and maybe three:naughty: I think a C130 for air drops might be needed as backup for my next walk to try everything out:thumbsup:

Cheers

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Wow I was unaware of the restrictions for shipping lithiums... I must have ordered over 40 of them in total in the last year and a half from various places.
Guess I should be more wary of that now.

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi Nick-nack

Yes lithium is becoming an issue and I think if the package says "The Lithium Battery Company" it will likely be stopped but if it says "Torches to Go" not a problem. Trouble is I gather Australia Post at least is spoiling for a few examples to pin up on the board of people recently jailed. I would imagine that the leading brands would likely be safe, if packed properly, but would not like to be explaining to a courier with a smouldering plane after my order of Howwhatcheapjunk ones exploded in transit from China or an Australian dodgy brother supplier.

Cheers Brett