Backpacking charger for RCR123's

caltemus

Newly Enlightened
This summer I am going to hike Mt. Washington for the second time and I want to take my light with me (Surefire 6P w/Solarforce R2). I have recently ordered the Goal Zero Guide10 Adventure Kit, which is a solar panel and power pack. The solar charger has a 12v-cigarette adapter output, in addition to USB. The power pack uses 4 Eneloops (or their brand equivalent, any will work). I want to know what charger I should get to keep the RCR123s in the surefire charged up. I have a DSD, but its kind of bulky and relatively cheap. Whatever I get, it would preferably be compact and "smart" in the way it charges the batteries, it would suck to lose a cell halfway there. Also, my price range is anything south of 60 dollars. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance.

On another note, I read somewhere that the batteries that Goal Zero puts out might be better than eneloops, one amazon reviewer said that while eneloops charge up to around 1900mAh, and are labeled for 2000mAh, the Goal Zero batteries charge to 2200mAh, and are also labeled for 2000mAh. I'll measure them when they come in, it would be interesting to see if these really better than eneloops.

-Charlie

Guide10 Adventure Kit: http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Guide-10-Adventure-Kit/1:1/
Amazon Review: http://www.amazon.com/review/RLQ42L...SIN=B004OHIYLW&nodeID=15684181&tag=&linkCode=

carrot

Flashaholic
Depending on how long you are planning on taking to do Mt. Washington you may actually simply be better served with lithium primaries.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Carrot. Long ago I bought a charger for a single RCR123. It will only charge one battery a day, but it works fine. I don't have it here, or I would go look at it and tell you who made it. They are probably long out of business. Even if you find a charger for RCR123s, you should take some primaries for backup. Enjoy your trip!

caltemus

Newly Enlightened
It's just a three day hike, but I'm also going to camp for a week before I do Washington, I'll probably just end up using the primaries, or find a decent AA/AAA light. I wouldn't want to carry the rechargeables, charger, and backup primaries; its just too much weight when each ounce makes a difference.

Last edited: