ZL H51c in yet? Beamshots?

f2f46

Newly Enlightened
I'm eager to see beamshots of this lamp... very interested in getting one, but it seems that they should have been delivered and I could use that info in my decision if anyone has received theirs.

Thanks.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I am eager for these too.

To tide you over, starting here and continuing for a couple of pages are shots from the SC51c (some better than others). The beam profile and color rendition should be identical between the H51c and SC51c.

- Jas.

davec611

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully not too long. I ordered mine June 6th and received the shipping notification this morning. Looking forward to getting it!

f2f46

Newly Enlightened
great... let us know how it is and post pics if you can! thanks.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
maybe someone else has already pointed this out somewhere, but i found this interesting.

H51c: H1 130 Lm (0.9 hrs), M1 29 Lm (9 hrs), M2 14 Lm (30 hrs), L1 2.8 Lm (3 days)
H51w: H1 172 Lm (0.9 hrs), M1 26 Lm (9 hrs), M2 7 Lm (30 hrs), L1 2.2 Lm (3 days)

i assume the driver is the same for both models. if so, the Rebel seems to be brighter at lower currents than the Xp-g. at M2, it's twice at bright!

copperfox

Enlightened
i assume the driver is the same for both models. if so, the Rebel seems to be brighter at lower currents than the Xp-g. at M2, it's twice at bright!

LEDs don't really work that way. It would either be more or less bright across the whole range if the same driver was used. The difference in numbers is more likely due to a tweaked driver or different methodology used to get the lumen readings.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Yes, copperfox is correct. When designing a light, ZL seems to factor reflector, emitter, battery chemistry, and driver to squeeze as much as possible from the design for each light.

- Jas.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
got mine yesterday
no beam shots for you
but i have to say i love the light-love the levels -oddly especially the lowest-very usable in tent or reading , close in
light
bright
my first zebra-nice quality indeed

to my neophyte eye-and compared with my SF el2 and ED2-beam is broader adn very even-while coolish in tint-to my eye its not blue-but its not a warm white either-
plan on buying a second

just amazed at the compactness, lightness, and power-truly a great EDC, especially with the 90 degree head and clip-allows for hands free use with out the headband if one likes

not used to the switching yet-hard for me to be/start at the level i want without cycling thru everything

as i am not as sophisticated as so many here, i would still recommmend this light to anyone hiking-climbing -it is the best headlamp i have come across yet-the best part is its so small and light and useable-truly an easy pocket carry

ive read that some dont care for the headband rubber holder-i walked a couple of miles with it last night-pitch dark-didint bounce, and was a great light-suitably broad for a path-on low, but on high it has moderately good throw-not like my SF's-or other tightly focused beam-but a great compromise for all but the worst non-trail conditions-i wouldnt want to have to down climb with it and also have to try to locate or discern a trail or path far away in the dark -but its amazing for its size

but i have an fenix H 11 on the way too! so .....could be interesting

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I don't understand about Zebalight...the beam? You have the regular version (not the floody version) and yet it's not throwy enough for down climbing?

What headlamp have you used that you did consider throwy enough for down climbing just by way of comparison?
Thanks.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
LEDs don't really work that way. It would either be more or less bright across the whole range if the same driver was used. The difference in numbers is more likely due to a tweaked driver or different methodology used to get the lumen readings.

well, according to the Xp-g and Rebel datasheets, the Rebel seems to have slightly higher luminous flux at 100mA than a comparable Xp-g. the datasheets don't show what happens below that, so i can't really say.

but i'm not ready to just dismiss the difference as being a result of the driver or the methodology of getting the lumen reading being different without getting more info.

seeing as the forward voltage for both emitters are about the same, i don't know why the drivers would be that different. what other driver related differences are there for emitters other than forward voltage and drive current? what am i missing? is it thermal resistance? (the xp-g has slightly better thermal resistance)

also, i would think the methodology of getting the lumen readings would be the same for the H51c and H51w. i don't know why they would be different.

not trying to argue. genuinely curious.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
This is what I don't understand about Zebalight...the beam? You have the regular version (not the floody version) and yet it's not throwy enough for down climbing?

What headlamp have you used that you did consider throwy enough for down climbing just by way of comparison?
Thanks.

Large Petzl-the yellow version with 8 LEDS , large battery holder (4 AA) on the back of the headband-the model name escapes me
-this has more throw -still not great compared with the high end ones on this forum -

but using the battery drinking high output incan definitely had more throw-especially with lithiums-

when i talk about downclimbing, im using the scenario of coming off a fourteener, a steep scree or worse, a rocky ridge, above tree line, a free climb on a steep face,-the idea is that not only do you need to see where the foot holds are below (or trail -which might simply be the trodden area on top of scree-barely a color difference and some smaller rock pieces ) , and to stay on route as you descend, but be able to look over/across a large couloir or meadow to find a minimal alpine trail, with rocks and low brush, you need heavy throw to even get close to spotting an obscure trail among rocks at night-also, you need your hands free-at the time this was the best i knew of-some ten years back-still use it with confidence-

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Large Petzl-the yellow version with 8 LEDS , large battery holder (4 AA) on the back of the headband-the model name escapes me
-this has more throw -still not great compared with the high end ones on this forum -

but using the battery drinking high output incan definitely had more throw-especially with lithiums-

when i talk about downclimbing, im using the scenario of coming off a fourteener, a steep scree or worse, a rocky ridge, above tree line, a free climb on a steep face,-the idea is that not only do you need to see where the foot holds are below (or trail -which might simply be the trodden area on top of scree-barely a color difference and some smaller rock pieces ) , and to stay on route as you descend, but be able to look over/across a large couloir or meadow to find a minimal alpine trail, with rocks and low brush, you need heavy throw to even get close to spotting an obscure trail among rocks at night-also, you need your hands free-at the time this was the best i knew of-some ten years back-still use it with confidence-

Ok, I got it :) You're not just talking about the next few holds but needing to see all the way to the bottom (or top) of a long climb. Thanks for the clarification.

hazna

Enlightened
Actually I just received my H51c today!

When I initially turned it on, I didn't notice too much difference to my other neutral lights. After closely comparing the tints and colour rendition (5C tint vs the H51c), I do notice the H51c does render colours slightly better. The difference can be subtle though. The h51c makes reds and blues slightly more vibrant in colour, while the 5C lights gives a more yellow hue to these colours.

The h51c has a less floody hot spot than my XPG lights.

If you do not have a great need for higher colour rendition, I would suggest getting the h51 or h51w with a higher max output.

Some other points I note:
-I do not detect PWM on L2 (my previous h51f did have very noticeable PWM on this level)
-PWM is noted on M2 (I do not think my h51F had PWM on this level) - it's a fairly fast rate, not overly noticeable
-PWM is noted on the lower output of H2 (63 lumens) (previous h51F also had this issue) - it's also a fairly fast rate, not overly noticeable.
-Summary zebralight seems to have tweak the circuit to the h51 series. PWM mode has been moved from L2 to M2, with a higher rate of PWM.

-Annodising is slightly different from my other zebralights. The annodising on this sample seems more matte and textured in feel. Not too sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I hope it holds up as well as my other zebralight annodising.

-The included clip has some rusty marks on in :(

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
got mine yesterday
no beam shots for you
but i have to say i love the light-love the levels -oddly especially the lowest-very usable in tent or reading , close in
light
bright
my first zebra-nice quality indeed

to my neophyte eye-and compared with my SF el2 and ED2-beam is broader adn very even-while coolish in tint-to my eye its not blue-but its not a warm white either-
plan on buying a second

just amazed at the compactness, lightness, and power-truly a great EDC, especially with the 90 degree head and clip-allows for hands free use with out the headband if one likes

not used to the switching yet-hard for me to be/start at the level i want without cycling thru everything

as i am not as sophisticated as so many here, i would still recommmend this light to anyone hiking-climbing -it is the best headlamp i have come across yet-the best part is its so small and light and useable-truly an easy pocket carry

ive read that some dont care for the headband rubber holder-i walked a couple of miles with it last night-pitch dark-didint bounce, and was a great light-suitably broad for a path-on low, but on high it has moderately good throw-not like my SF's-or other tightly focused beam-but a great compromise for all but the worst non-trail conditions-i wouldnt want to have to down climb with it and also have to try to locate or discern a trail or path far away in the dark -but its amazing for its size

but i have an fenix H 11 on the way too! so .....could be interesting

How was the spill for hiking. I assume there was enough close to your body so that you had no problem with tripping over anything.

claudeswares

Newly Enlightened
Actually I just received my H51c today!

When I initially turned it on, I didn't notice too much difference to my other neutral lights. After closely comparing the tints and colour rendition (5C tint vs the H51c), I do notice the H51c does render colours slightly better. The difference can be subtle though. The h51c makes reds and blues slightly more vibrant in colour, while the 5C lights gives a more yellow hue to these colours.

The h51c has a less floody hot spot than my XPG lights.

If you do not have a great need for higher colour rendition, I would suggest getting the h51 or h51w with a higher max output.

Some other points I note:
-I do not detect PWM on L2 (my previous h51f did have very noticeable PWM on this level)
-PWM is noted on M2 (I do not think my h51F had PWM on this level) - it's a fairly fast rate, not overly noticeable
-PWM is noted on the lower output of H2 (63 lumens) (previous h51F also had this issue) - it's also a fairly fast rate, not overly noticeable.
-Summary zebralight seems to have tweak the circuit to the h51 series. PWM mode has been moved from L2 to M2, with a higher rate of PWM.

-Annodising is slightly different from my other zebralights. The annodising on this sample seems more matte and textured in feel. Not too sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I hope it holds up as well as my other zebralight annodising.

-The included clip has some rusty marks on in :(

So, are you satisfied with your purchase? I was considering getting this or waiting for the H502W. What is you opinion after handling the H51c?

hazna

Enlightened
So, are you satisfied with your purchase? I was considering getting this or waiting for the H502W. What is you opinion after handling the H51c?

I am satisfied with my purchase as I do feel there will be instances where it would be handy for me to have a higher CRI headlamp. If you do not have a great need, I would get the h51 or h51w. I am generally a fan of the zebralight range, I like their UI.

hazna

Enlightened
IMG_4352.jpg

LED closeup
IMG_4349.jpg

Comparison to sc50+ annodising
IMG_4346.jpg

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Stunning photos hazna!

I noticed something different in the light's body - it looks like there is a groove for the clip at the "head end" - allowing for reversible clip attachment? If so, I'd love a confirmation pic. Looks to be very similar to the conceptual I did a few months ago...

- Jas.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
hazna,

Thanks for the pictures. I always appreciate pictures, because I too post pictures of lights I talk about. These days posting pictures of what you claim to own should be expected. There are just too many wannabe experts who claim to own many lights but never post any picture of them.