watch recommendations...ladies' for < $300

notrefined

Enlightened
I'm more than a little out of my depth here...looking for a good quality analog watch for my wife, who just started wearing one again after using her cell as a timepiece for years. Right now I'm looking at a 28-30mm victorinox officer's watch, which seems to run about $250 new. What would be the best quality in this price range (or less)?
I appreciate your thoughs :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm more than a little out of my depth here...looking for a good quality analog watch for my wife, who just started wearing one again after using her cell as a timepiece for years. Right now I'm looking at a 28-30mm victorinox officer's watch, which seems to run about $250 new. What would be the best quality in this price range (or less)?
I appreciate your thoughs :)

Well, with regard to watch brands, might want to take a look at Orient Watch Company. Although not very well known in US, they are a large Japanese watch manufacture - the term manufacture means a company that designs and produces all major components of their watches "in house", as opposed to those that simply purchase the movements and parts and just assemble them into cases, with dials, hands, etc. They have been around over sixty years, and had been independent until Seiko completed their buyout of that company about three years ago.

They have an enormous range of models, but most are very reasonably priced. While it is easy to spend (a lot!) more money on a watch, I think that Orient is of excellent quality and provides some of the best value in my experience. They don't really advertise much here, so (for better or worse) you are not really paying for the name.

With more details regarding the specifics of what you are looking for, I might be able to be of more help .... :grin2:

notrefined

Enlightened
Well, I started out yesterday with absolutely no idea what I was looking for....but maybe I've made a little progress. The only watches I've ever seen on her wrist (all were cheapies, but the style's been consistent) have been small case watches with round faces...probably no more than 30mm. They've all had leather bands, and I think they've all had white faces. So that gives me someplace to start.

I personally like a metal link bracelet, so i'm liable to go out on a limb and get that for her this time around...but a case that looks good with either would be a good idea, in case she doesn't like it. I am partial at least to the idea of a sapphire crystal, and automatic (or ecodrive) movement, and titanuim case, probably in that order of importance. And with young children learning time, it would be nice if her watch actually had numbers on the face. Unfortunately, looking at the orient web page, they don't really have anything that meets most of those criteria.

In addition to victorinox, I've also looked at citizen (various womens' ecodrive models) and st moritz momentum (atlas), but so far nothing's "perfect". Still, if I have to choose between these, opinions on which are superior products would be welcome.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hmm, the combination of automatic movement, sapphire crystal, quality maker, and under $250, does make it a challenge. I don't think that the Victorinox Officer's Watch is an auto, at least on the models I've seen.

Well, if some of those criteria are a bit flexible, maybe check out the following models and let me know what you think? Seiko SKA893 Arctura, Seiko SYMA41K 5-Sport, Tissot T0382071111700 T-One, (and Orient DB01005W).

Good luck!

notrefined

Enlightened
nope, the victorinox isn't automatic...still haven't found everything in one place yet, so I guess I'll have to be flexible :)

thanks for the tips, time to go read about 'em...

notrefined

Enlightened
I was not aware of issues with automatic movements requiring service...service every couple of years is more of a hassle than battery changes, which would make that a no go. if there were a citizen eco-drive with a sapphire lens, the choice would be easy. as it is, I'm stuck between convenience (of eco-drive and no battery changes) and durability of a sapphire lens

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was not aware of issues with automatic movements requiring service...service every couple of years is more of a hassle than battery changes, which would make that a no go. if there were a citizen eco-drive with a sapphire lens, the choice would be easy. as it is, I'm stuck between convenience (of eco-drive and no battery changes) and durability of a sapphire lens

Well, pretty much everything with moving parts requires periodic service. :)

All movements eventually require cleaning and lubrication. If the watch is meant to be water-resistant, then seals will need replacement (and testing) over time, as well. Although quartz movements remain quite accurate, automatics may also need occasional regulation (an adjustment to improve time-keeping accuracy).

High-end movements have had some interesting developments to minimize friction (and potentially extend service intervals), but there is still not really a maintenance-free mechanical watch. Watch jewels (like ruby or diamond) have been in use since the 18th century, but more recently this concept has been extended with DLC (diamond-like carbon) coatings for bearing surfaces.

There are also oil-filled watches, but these require high-torque quartz movements. Although they may not need extra lubrication (as long as the seals remain intact), they still require battery changes - made much more costly by the necessity of special equipment to drain and refill the oil in the case. The primary purpose of this type of specialized watch is for extreme-pressure tolerance, such as deep-sea diving, not really for less maintenance.

Last edited: