Lumen differences between Quark "X" editions

FUNWITHPOWER

Newly Enlightened
Why does the Quark 123^2 Turbo "X" have so much more lumens (450 lumensvs 360 lumens) than the Quark "X" 123^2, same power source and emitter…? Doesthe head increase the lumens??? In the previous models the "turbo" (head reflector…)just added more throw not lumens…. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Also in a side note is there any color/tint differencebetween the XP-G R5 and the XM-L emitters?

Last edited:

Rat6P

Enlightened
I had to read that twice. Maybe you should include the "Turbo" bit in the name of the light you refer to, as thats what it is called.
Might help those of us who suffer the occasional bit of dyslexia :)
Interesting....maybe reflector difference, a bigger reflector is more efficient and depending on the size of the testing sphere these lights are measured for output in, this difference may actually cause a different reading.? Really I am not sure. Interested in the reason though.

Last edited:

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
I wondered this too.
My guess is that the OutTheFront lumens are being multiplied by the bigger reflector. Also the turbo X has a bigger head and heat syncs that dissipate heat better than the Quark non-turbo head which would allow for more output without overheating.

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
About half of the difference might be explained by the different run times. The Quark X 123^2 is billed at 1.7 hours at full power while the Quark Turbo X is billed at 1.5 hours at full power. It looks like the Turbo is being pushed a bit (13%) harder.

FUNWITHPOWER

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, and thanks for the heads up, I added the "turbo" in the initial post! Thatdefinitely would have made for a confusing and difficult read! I am glad I amnot the only one finding this lumen difference odd…?

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
About half of the difference might be explained by the different run times. The Quark X 123^2 is billed at 1.7 hours at full power while the Quark Turbo X is billed at 1.5 hours at full power. It looks like the Turbo is being pushed a bit (13%) harder.

Yeah good point, as I understand it they are able to push it harder safely because of the bigger head and heat sinks (sp?).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem that the 123^2 has a much lower brightness due to the fact that the LED is not driven as hard. This most likely is due to thermal concerns with a much smaller light to be driven so hard so as the LED would burn out due to higher temp. The 123^2 Turbo is bigger hence better thermal resistance.

As for the reflector size, this only affects the light if its a "thrower" or a "flooder". Factors also include if the reflector is orange peel (more floody) or smooth (thrower).

Kudos to Dave for coming out with the Quarks in XML format.

Now if he'll just offer these Quark XML heads for us Quark owners, that would be just peachy! Also, if he'd start selling 18650 tubes again so we can drive these XML's better with greater run times! :)