Recommend me a 1xAA thrower

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Haven't been on these LED boards for a long time =) I've just been too happy with my 4x Cree XR-E 2D Mag (built by MillerMods, for those who remember him) - don't laugh, with the IMR20's this is still a super-throwy light, and runs about 1000 lumens on 2x D Nimhs for over an hour =) It's my workhorse light and I love it, it's all beat up haha.

And I also have a 1x18650 tri-MC-E, with custom firmware from Milkyspit. It's in a L5 body and KL3 head, and it's stinking bright. I edc it in a leather holster and it's awesome.

BUT. Sometimes I need some throwiness, and I keep the quad-cree in my truck. I was wondering if people can recommend a 1xAA throwy light, and one with similar form-factor to say the Fenix L1T. Because, I already have a leather holster that fits the L1T perfectly, and I would like to get a throwy light that fits there. It'll make it much more used since I'll have it with me every day.

Thanks guys!!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want a 1AA thrower I think Ledlenser P5 is hard to beat. I guess M5 has the same optical system so it should provide same throw. It's a bit longer and has slightly wider head than my Fenix LD10, but definitely outthrows the Fenix.

Last edited:

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
If you could find some older lights that use the Xr-e emitters I think you'd be surprised at what kind of throw they have. I recently bought a Romisen XR-E Neutral white with a 1xAA form factor. While I bet the overall output is perhaps 60-80 OTF, I'm amazed at how easily it lights up at say 30-40 yards using the hotspot. While the hotspot isn't huge as is on some of the XM-L throwers, it is impressive for what it is.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLUX LightStar 100.

For a $15 light using a single AA, it has one of the most insane amount of throw I've ever seen, due to combination of small emitter and TIR optic.

Try it out. If you don't like it, you won't have much to lose since it's only $15.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Wow...even I'm interested in the Terralux now....anyone have anymore detailed specs on this one? I'm surprised there isn't more said on sites like batteryjunction.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The ones you guys mentioned looked good, the terralux on Amazon was about $20 actually.

But I decided to go with this Sipik:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KO4DFA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

because it's under $10, and it fits my holster =) We'll see how it holds up, especially with 14500 use!

For my situation, didn't need the best/bombproofest one, since if I really need to hit things at a distance, I would use my quad-cree - but for on-the-go, infrequent use, as a companion to my floody tri-MC-E, I think this will fit the bit.

But I wouldn't have found it if I wasn't tooling around on Amazon looking at the ones you guys suggested. Thanks!!

Chidwack

Enlightened
The best single AA thrower that I am aware of is made by iTP, or at least it was. You can still get one from Shingingbeam.com. It's called an iTP C7 and it's about $26. Very small beam with lots of throw. Reflector is OP at the bottom and smooth at the second half for the best of both worlds. Seems to be a sturdy little light. It will also use 14500 Li/ion if you want.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
which has more throw the led lenser or terralux

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I already have a leather holster that fits the L1T perfectly...

I'm looking for a new holster for my L1T. Would you mind telling me what holster you refer to and where to get one?

Thanks,

Jon

Sent from my phone. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
My Fenix E11 and Nitecore EA1 both throw very well for a single AA. Depending on your budget I would by either again in a heartbeat. The Fenix E11 sells for around 25 bucks and the Nitecore EA1 around 60.