Malkoff
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 137

Thread: Spark SD52 Mini Review

  1. #61
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Just got a PM from Xyber who says that the optional aftermarket reflectors are being shipped to goinggear and sdflashlights.

  2. #62
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Yeah!! Way to go Bolster. Any details on beam type/s?

  3. #63
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    A hint from Xyber at this thread says "not that throwy," makes it sound like it's somewhere between flood and throw. That would suit me just fine, I'm not trying to make a thrower of it.

  4. #64
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Good news, time to stalk their websites...lol Thanks for sharing the news.
    You have to decide what your priorities are and have the courage--pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically--to say no to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger yes burning inside. The enemy of the best is often the good.

  5. #65
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Stalking is now over...time to wait. Hopefully in 3-5 business days I will find out if it was worth the wait.
    You have to decide what your priorities are and have the courage--pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically--to say no to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger yes burning inside. The enemy of the best is often the good.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by spinkid View Post
    Stalking is now over...time to wait. Hopefully in 3-5 business days I will find out if it was worth the wait.
    Have you received the reflector yet ? If yes, how does it perform ? I will be ordering an Spark SD-73 NW today, along with the add on reflector.

  7. #67
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    marcis, Actually received an email about an hour ago that said it was shipped today. Delivery was set as 4-5 days from USPS, so hopefully middle/end of next week I can let you know.
    You have to decide what your priorities are and have the courage--pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically--to say no to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger yes burning inside. The enemy of the best is often the good.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by spinkid View Post
    marcis, Actually received an email about an hour ago that said it was shipped today. Delivery was set as 4-5 days from USPS, so hopefully middle/end of next week I can let you know.
    Awesome, thanks for the response. I actually placed an order for the SD-73 NW, and reflector today. I should also have mine by next friday. I am pretty excited.

  9. #69
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Marcis. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the 73 over the 52?

  10. #70

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy24000 View Post
    Marcis. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the 73 over the 52?
    I wanted the full 280 lumens that the AAA batteries can get, the 2xAA version is only capable of producing 280 lumens with the 14500 battery (which I don't care to own or use). If the 2xAAs were able to produce the 280 lumens I would have surely bought that.

  11. #71
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by marcis View Post
    I wanted the full 280 lumens that the AAA batteries can get, the 2xAA version is only capable of producing 280 lumens with the 14500 battery (which I don't care to own or use). If the 2xAAs were able to produce the 280 lumens I would have surely bought that.
    No, something's wrong here. See:

    http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark-H...2-NW-p158.html

    The way I read it (some interference from the Chinglish, of course), it says that the data in the list (up to 280lm max for the NW version of the SD52) was obtained "Upon data are based on testing with 2*Sanyo eneloop" [sic]. That seems to indicate the lumens advertised are available with Eneloops, not 14500s. Next line says to use 14500s "to get maximum output." If you read this literally, with 'maximum' = 'Max', it would seem to indicate that you needed 14500s to get "Max" output (which they define as 200 lumen, with "Super" being 280 lumen), which makes no sense. The word "max" and "maximum" are being used to indicate different things, and the phrase "Use 14500 to get maximum output" can also be interpreted (incorrectly, I think) to mean that 280 isn't available unless 14500s are used. But I think that's a confusion caused by the verbiage used...notice there are other various capitalization, syntax, and grammar errors throughout.

    My suspicion is that Spark did not list maximum lumen or runtime for 14500s at all. I may have read that somewhere, don't recall now.

    Nutshell: I don't think 14500s in an SD52 equal 3xAAAs in a SD73. I'm certain someone can do the math to check.
    Last edited by Bolster; 02-24-2012 at 06:06 PM.

  12. #72
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Posts
    862

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    280 lumens on 2xAA Eneloops. 350 lumens on 1x14500 Li Ion. 400+ lumens on 2x LiPo4s. Pretty sure I said this somewhere else.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    No, something's wrong here. See:

    http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark-H...2-NW-p158.html

    The way I read it (some interference from the Chinglish, of course), it says that the data in the list (up to 280lm max for the NW version of the SD52) was obtained "Upon data are based on testing with 2*Sanyo eneloop" [sic]. That seems to indicate the lumens advertised are available with Eneloops, not 14500s. Next line says to use 14500s "to get maximum output." If you read this literally, with 'maximum' = 'Max', it would seem to indicate that you needed 14500s to get "Max" output (which they define as 200 lumen, with "Super" being 280 lumen), which makes no sense. The word "max" and "maximum" are being used to indicate different things, and the phrase "Use 14500 to get maximum output" can also be interpreted (incorrectly, I think) to mean that 280 isn't available unless 14500s are used. But I think that's a confusion caused by the verbiage used...notice there are other various capitalization, syntax, and grammar errors throughout.

    My suspicion is that Spark did not list maximum lumen or runtime for 14500s at all. I may have read that somewhere, don't recall now.

    Nutshell: I don't think 14500s in an SD52 equal 3xAAAs in a SD73. I'm certain someone can do the math to check.
    Bolster you just saved me a bunch of time, Thanks for being thorough!

    Quote Originally Posted by jake25 View Post
    280 lumens on 2xAA Eneloops. 350 lumens on 1x14500 Li Ion. 400+ lumens on 2x LiPo4s. Pretty sure I said this somewhere else.
    Thanks for the speedy update!

  14. #74
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Bolster, I hope you don't mind keepping your thread going as the main SD52 thread..... I received my reflector today from SBflashlights and right now really like it. I won't be fully testing till my next on-call at work in about a month though. It sure did make the beam better for my work purposes, for some work I could probably get away comfortably on level 2 now. It does have a little hotspot, similar but not as prominent as the one on my original Zebralight H51. I don't feel like my eyes always want to focus on the hotspot. On the 70 lumen mode this is fantastic for my purposes and weight aside seems like it would be a great hiking light.

    Oh, I tried beamshots with my crackberry and failed miserably so I can't post them..sorrry.

  15. #75
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Great news, thanks for reporting!!

  16. #76

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    My SD-52 and reflector are out for delivery, should be here in the next hour and a half. I will try and give my thoughts sometime this evening also.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Comment removed by myself.
    Last edited by marcis; 02-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Nice review, thanks. My frustration with the ST5 was it doesn't memorize levels with an Eneloop, although apparently it does with a 14500. Does the SD-52 have the same behavior? Or does it really memorize levels with Eneloops?

    Thanks.

  19. #79
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    [EDITED]

    I use Eneloops. My SD52 MAY be forgetting previous level, or I MAY be misremembering what level I had it on. Running a test now to see if it is indeed forgetting.

    I'm walking back my previous statement. That was an impression, not a test, subject to faulty memory of how I'd left the light when last used.

    Garbman, would you please unquote me, below? I want to run a test and make sure this is happening.
    Last edited by Bolster; 03-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.

  20. #80
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Athens / Greece
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    ----------
    How can something like that happen ???
    Really weird.
    Last edited by garbman; 03-07-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Flashy way of life...

  21. #81
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    My SD52 is "Iffy" on the mode memorization! my St5 with 14500 is really nice. I have issues with the SD52 button and mode memory. Sometimes when not in use for a day or so, and I push the button it won't come on, on the first push. I can't figure this out. Anyone else have this issue?

  22. #82
    Flashaholic* B0wz3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy24000 View Post
    My SD52 is "Iffy" on the mode memorization! my St5 with 14500 is really nice. I have issues with the SD52 button and mode memory. Sometimes when not in use for a day or so, and I push the button it won't come on, on the first push. I can't figure this out. Anyone else have this issue?
    How long do you hold the button for your first push? Sparks have this funky 'momentary' function where you're supposed to be able to invoke the light and then have it go off again if you hold the button for something like less than half a second. Could that be the issue you're having? I personally dislike such a 'feature', and wish they'd just drop it from the UI. Doesn't serve any useful function in my book, and complicates the UI as well.
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

  23. #83
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    I just push it like normal, but sometimes it won't come on, on the first click. Usually after it has been sitting for a while. I am totally aware of the momentary function.

  24. #84
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    There have been a few times that I pressed the switch, and thought the light didn't turn on, but it may have simply turned onto the lowest setting instead, which is hard to see in ambient light. (Often I'm already wearing my helmet before I switch on so can't look directly at the emitter.)

    I'm walking back my previous statement of forgetting modes, as that was an impression. A test is better, and that's underway now.

    I'm turning on my SD52 every couple of hours to spot any anomaly. Smooth sailing so far. Maybe the interval needs to be days.
    Last edited by Bolster; 03-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.

  25. #85
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    OK, results.

    One hour delay between use, no issues...SD52 remembers previous setting.

    4 hour delay between use, the single quick click does nothing. A second quick click, nothing. So now I press and hold, and the light comes on to low (which was not the previous setting).

    So, yeah, some weirdness here. Doesn't render the SD52 inoperable, but isn't right, either.

  26. #86
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    yeah. I'm with you Bolster. I thought that too. Maybe the Ambient light is drowning out the low level! But, shouldn't it come on the level I had it at originally? I have actually tested the light several times, and sometimes it will not come on, on the first push of the button when i take it off and actually look at it while pushing the button!!! Don't get me wrong. I love this light, I'm just trying to figure out how it works. My St5 on 14500 is spot on. Just click and I am on the previous mode!

  27. #87
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Did it again. Turned the light off at level 3 last night. This morning a quick click got nothing. Tried turning on via quick click 3 times, nothing. Finally press and hold, and it comes on to level 1 (low). Definitely forgetting its setting, and wont turn on with a quick click, requires press-and-hold.

  28. #88
    Flashaholic ryguy24000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HR, Oregon
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    Did it again. Turned the light off at level 3 last night. This morning a quick click got nothing. Tried turning on via quick click 3 times, nothing. Finally press and hold, and it comes on to level 1 (low). Definitely forgetting its setting, and wont turn on with a quick click, requires press-and-hold.

    I get the same results!! I wonder what is going on?????

  29. #89

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    I am with you all, my SD-52 does not remember it's settings .... It remembered it's settings for like the first 5 days, now when I click it on it starts at the lowest mode. Zebralight definitely has the advantage when it comes to operation. I have a love/hate relationship with my new spark.

    P.S I will be updating my spark thread in the next day or so

  30. #90
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Spark SD52 Mini Review

    Let's alert Xyber and see what he has to say.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •