my first twisty?

Newly Enlightened
So I'm in the market again for an EDC light and I'm noticing that my options really improve price-wise if I don't limit myself to clicky lights. I've only used clickies in the past so I have a very noob-ish question regarding twisties.

Basically, I have shied away from twisties because I don't like the idea that the head isn't always tightened all the way. When I'm just leaving my light in my pocket, it feels insecure to me to know that the head is slightly loose. Am I way off? I have no experience with a well-made twisty light so I have no idea how tight the head stays screwed on when the light is off.

Is this totally wrong? I'm sure it varies from light to light. Do your twisties feel secure and tight when you leave them off?

ragweed

Enlightened
Not really sure what your getting at? Arc AAA , E01 & E05... never a problem...EVER! I think you might be a newbie that does not no his way around twist lights.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had any problems in that regard. Most twisty lights take those things into account in their design. I've also not noticed any relationship to price (being cheaper).

Twisty lights can be shorter (since they don't have the clicky at the end) and are used more frequently with small single AA or AAA lights.

davecroft

Enlightened
Depends partly on the model and even then individual lights will vary. It's hard to be specific as some people will swear that a light has great tight threads, but others will have the same light and the threads are loose. The fact that the threads are loose is not necessarily a major problem, it sometimes makes changing modes a bit of a fiddle though. Not much help I know but if you buy from a good dealer you can always return if it feels not right for you.

To give you an idea of my experience with twisties:

Olight i2 - play in threads
Quark Mini AA - play in threads
Fenix E11 - no play (this light has a tail switch but you unscrew the head slightly to change modes)
Fenix LD15 - no play
Nitecore EZ AA R5 - no play
Fenix E05 - no play

I have read on the forums about very loose threads becoming accidentally unscrewed and people losing part of the flashlight because of this. It has never happened to me and most lights seem to have long enough threads and tight enough O rings to prevent them accidentally unscrewing in a pocket / bottom of a rucksac. ( Athough the new Nitecore T0 has shallow threads apparently so you might want to avoid that one).

None of mine feels as though it would come apart in my pocket and the ones with the loose threads I just unscrew a little more to prevent accidental activation. I have both twisties and clickies and overall I prefer twisties as they are generally a bit smaller for my EDC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jeff E.

Newly Enlightened
Just recently got my first two twisties, and while I too initially shared your concerns, I have had no issues. As mentioned here, most designs take into account how they will be used which in this case not only means threads that are tight enough, but that the heads must be turned more than a couple of times before coming off.

I rotate mine about three-quareters to one full turn when off to make sure that the dont come on in my pockets, and they are fine. Plus, they would need to go a number of additional full turns to come apart.

I probably wouldn't go for a long run in tight jeans with one in my front pocket, but other than that scenario, it's all good!

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread play isn't a problem on a well made light. But other factors are sometimes involved. Battery length varies and is inconsistent, particularly between protected and unprotected LiIon's. Too long a battery for a particular light can not only expose O-rings but also reduce the total area of thread surface contact which becomes even more of a problem on lights built to loose tolerances. On balance, however, the simplicity and and reliability of twisties makes them awfully appealing. And when combined with a QTC for variable output they are very hard to beat.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add...the one's with play generally can take advantage of that by using it as a momentary switch. Just press the body and head together and the light turns on...release and it goes off. If you don't want this to happen accidentally in your pocket just unscrew the head to the point where this is no longer possible.