Bulb selection for MagLite D6

DUDBATTERY

Newly Enlightened
Hello All.
I have just purchased a Mag Lite D6 torch.
Along with the torch, there is some litterature pertaining to other, supposedly better bulbs.
Could someone please explain to me, the benefits of paying extra, for xenon, halogen or LED bulbs ?
I use the torch to prevent myself from being run over, as I walk the village lanes in Cornwall, & fend off the odd marauding dog.
Not yet had a run in with the Beast of Bodmin, but do feel rather confident that despite my 60 yrs, if it did turn up, that D6 would give it a good whack.
Thanks In Advance.

MoDestiny

Newly Enlightened

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

LED modules are already discussed in post#2. They are quite bright but are more than just a bulb.
If you get the Malkoff get the reflector while you are at it. That way you do not have to chop up your original reflector.

LED PR2 bulbs are not that bright. Their main advantage is making the batteries last longer.
TERRALUX TLE-6EX MINISTAR5 LED UPGRADE FOR 4-6 C/D CELL MAGLITES.
PR2-superbrightleds 3WHP-9V. superbrightleds have a $25 minimum for international purchases.
I am leaving out all the dimmer LED bulbs.

For incandescent you can turn your 6D into an ROP (Roar of the Pelican).
But that bulb runs so hot it will melt the plastic reflector and lens. Metal reflector and glass lens required.
Alkaline batteries do not have the power to properly drive the bulb and 9V is too much for the 6V bulb. NiMH D cells and charger(s) required.
You can get the bulbs and the UCL lens or Borofloat Lens here.
Here is a more detailed thread to the ROP build and links to parts. A bit confusing as the author is doing both the ROP & WA11 bulbs and and covers Maglites from a 2C to a 6D and a custom body.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?259443-Hotwire-How-To-The-ROP-and-the-Mag-11

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Malkoff drop in. With six alkaline D's it should run in excess of 10 hours at the rated output. It's not the brightest upgrade, but it is certainly worthy. And it does put out a stonking amount of light compared to the stock incan bulb.