war of the pen lights

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
what would you prefer and why? these are my choices. help me make the right one please
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail

FENIX- 100 lm (1.5hrs) 32lm (5hrs) 4lm (23hrs)

Last edited:

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
Since the pics don't show, here's the links for comparison Streamlight protac 2 aaa: pelican 1920: and fenix LD05. I'm Gona check out the preon 2. And I was leanin toward the streamlight but that can change. Thanks a lot fellow flashlight lover

Links removed. See red banner at top of page.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep Preon2 has a low med high User interface. The high is 150 lumens, I don't own the Fenix LD05 but I do own the L0D and the Med low High is nice too.
My Streamlight is the Stylus Pro, 48 lumens and a nice stiff clickie tailcap.
I have a Hypetac p2a and it goes med high low, 120 lumen high the reverse clickie feels soft, the light is a good value but I found myself using my Streamlight and waiting for the Preon2 Hi Cri

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
This is a 'no brainer'. Head over to "GoingGear", where they are having a clearance sale of 4Sevens lights. Grab yourself a 'Preon 2 Titanium/Black XP-G R5' for $37. You WILL be happy!

Good luck.

-

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've EDC'd a 2xAAA penlight for over two years now, and because of my personal objections to the following:
  • Fenix LD05: relatively longer than other 2xAAA penlights, high mode could be higher
  • Preon: reverse clicky a dealbreaker for me, hotspot not as nice as an LD01 IMO, still uses PWM IIRC ?
  • Streamlight Stylus pro: single mode, not enough spill for me
What I find the best combo is the Fenix LD01 head with the Stylus Pro 2xAAA body. It corrects all of my problems with the above - a perfect penlight for my tastes:
  • The current controlled (non-PWM) LD01 head with a nice diffuse hotspot
  • The decent forward-clicky of the Streamlight body/tail - soft presses for mode changes, clicking the switch once the preferred output level is selected.
If the parts are not purchased used, the initial cost is higher but worth it IMO. Purchasing the parts used, a light can be assembled at a relatively competitive price. Unfortunately is sounds as thought the newer Stylus Pro penlights have a one-piece head/body, so an older body must be used.

I've used this light combo for many many hours and I have yet to see a better penlight IMO. :)
Hope this helps,

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
seems like they all have their pros and cons. if i had enough money i would buy all of them. thanks alot for your input. now instead of impulse buying on a light, im going to have to really think about what suits me best for my needs, now that i have some good info. and to the moderators i think their called, sorry for the posted links in the wrong place. ima do my best to graduate from noob cpfer to a veteran.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used a Streamlight til the switches quit working, now use a Quark mini 2xAA. Can't really tell the difference in a pocket at all. I sit, bend, stoop, etc. and never notice it. Plus the extra capacity vs. AAA cells is nice.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
am seriously into AAA lights as my favorite carry lights and even my work and EDC lights. They are just so handy to carry and the newest of them throw plenty of light for almost all my normal tasks. My pocket carry is an old LOPSE or a Microstream, and I have the Stylus Pro new and old versions, and both the Microstreams, and use them constantly, the Preon 2 AAA is my most carried light in my leather jacket for all seasons.

I am interested in the Pro Tac for my morning inspections at work, especially in winter, as it is brighter than the Stylus pro but has a low light which is handy for writing on inspection forms. One of its biggest pluses is turning on in high mode not some intermediate step to get to high mode as in the Preon and most others. I like this for quck flashing into corners and under vehicles at the highest intensity available.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently, I came across a two AAA penlight I wasn't previously aware of, the EPLI by Brite-Strike. Is anyone familiar with this light?
There are a few threads here on CPF that mention this light but not much mention of actual hands on experience with one.

e-thb.jpg

• Max Output: up to 160 lumens / Lo-10 Lumens
• Battery: Two AAA Alkaline
• Length: 5.125 inches
• Runtime: Hi-(1.5 Hours) Lo-(8+) Strobe-(2 Hours)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a graph of run time of the Stylus Pro and the Terralux LS80.

Post #7
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ht-Questions&p=3879163&highlight=#post3879163

I like the switch better on the LS80 but the efficiency isn't as good as the Stylus Pro. For the money the Stylus Pro is hard to beat. I picked some up with free shipping around Christmas time for $15.81 ea. Out of 8, two of them had yellow-greenish tint but a Streamlight customer service guy replaced them for me.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I've got to admit the new Streamlight Protac 2 aaa looks interesting. 30+ hours on low, just over an hour on high, with hi, low and strobe. Might be worthwhile pickin one up if Streamlight ships outside the US.