Single 18650, XM-L light: Surefire or something else?

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a single 18650 light running an XM-L...something with a good balance of flood and throw, but more on the floody side. Ideally should have a low low (2-3lm), mode memory, and forward clicky, Neutral-White is a plus. Say $150 or less.

New to this size light and don't know what's out there. Have seen the Lumintop ED20 which unfortunately doesn't have mode memory. Considering a bored SF C2, but know even less about those.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Looking for a single 18650 light running an XM-L...something with a good balance of flood and throw, but more on the floody side. Ideally should have a low low (2-3lm), mode memory, and forward clicky, Neutral-White is a plus. Say $150 or less.

New to this size light and don't know what's out there. Have seen the Lumintop ED20 which unfortunately doesn't have mode memory. Considering a bored SF C2, but know even less about those.

The Klarus XT11 is probably almost exactly what you are looking for off the shelf. It can run on one 18650, or 2 RCR123A's, etc.

The UI is amazingly simple to use...no memory, always on in high, part down for momentary, all the way to click it on/off...nice big tail cap button.

The second, recessed tail cap button changes the modes...150 L, 10 L, strobe. You can even START in strobe by just holding down the recessed button from off, or from any other setting.

600-750 lumens on max depending on which cells you load in....its on the brighter end on the 123's, but runs longer on the 18650's.

I run it on the 18650's for the run time....because its pretty damn bright as is.

:D

The beam is floody with throw...and the tint is nice, not yellow per se, but white w/o going blue, etc.

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
I would recommend getting the bored C2 from the marketplace or oveready.com and then either a XML drop in from Nailbender or XML drop in from Vinhnyugen. You can specify any mode, any tint, any beam and any output you want. And being a P60 host, you can upgrade or change parts as you see fit, anything from switches to bezels to bezel rings to lens to drop ins. None of the production lights have even close to this level of customisability.

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
yifu, that seems like the way to fly. Otherwise I dunno how I'll get everything I want...being particular has its downsides. Plus I can switch it up if I change my mind later. Any guides online to modding the SF? Oveready has C2, 6P, M2, etc. host...dunno which to choose.

Last edited:

ledmitter

Enlightened
The Klaurus XT lights don't have mode memory, which he wants. How about an Olight M20X?

Frankly I'm getting tired of hearing Klarus lights. :whistle:(not a dig on you teej or madecov) But seriously, they're a small pip in this industry and it's more of a police light. Not everyone wants a strobe, no memory, always start on high flashlight. Knowmesayin?

yifu

Enlightened
yifu, that seems like the way to fly. Otherwise I dunno how I'll get everything I want...being particular has its downsides. Plus I can switch it up if I change my mind later. Any guides online to modding the SF? Oveready has C2, 6P, M2, etc. host...dunno which to choose.
Take that option and never look back! You can get everything you need from oveready and Dan will help you with any questions. Most people prefer the C2 over the 6P/Z2 but i have all 3 and i like the Z2 best, it's up to you i guess. The M2 is similar to the C2, except that it has a Z32 bezel that allows for 36mm drop ins, although standard D26/P60 ones will fit right in.

Basically you just go to oveready, pick a bored host, pick a clicky mechanism (McClicky Hardpress is my favourite and that of many on here), a lens/bezel ring if you choose to and you're set! As for the drop in, oveready has some Malkoffs and Triple XPGs in stock but you can always get something from our custom builders like Nailbender, Kenji, VanIsleDSM, Vinh etc. Pretty much any LED can be picked. The trips and quads will give you the most output, more than double of any production XML light. There are custom options for the bezel (Ronac's smoothie/Cryos/FiveMega Beefy) and tailcaps(Standoff/Moodo etc). And with a quick change of body tube it can be converted to a C2/6P/Z2/C3/9P etc. Very versatile!

There are other sellers for bored Surefire hosts as well, i can PM you the links should you want them as it's against the rules to post links to sales threads. And like i said, if you're not happy with any part of it you can always change it

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
Ledmitter,

In his thread he did specify an 18650 compatible host, or other else light. The
Klarus XT11 is a fine light with the best dual switch tactical setup of any light to date period. Nothing wrong with sharing ones pearls with another. The tactical user interface speaks for itself. I may be biased, but so is Marshall from goinggear right? That guy has hundreds of lights and yet reccomends Klarus's XT line. Just putting that out there.