Newbie: Best flashlight throw

C

CHAInaman

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to purchase a light that isn't too expensive (hopefully less than $40) with a lot of throw. Any suggestions? How do those giant 6V Everyday Lanterns compare to something like a Streamlight Scorpion. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
The scorpion would blow the lantern away in terms of throw and hotspot.

You might also want to look at the Surefire G2 ($30), or even the brinkman legend LX ($20)... both of these can take 'higher-output' bulbs (extra $15) if you are so inclined.

The Xenon / lithium combination is a far step above your old school alkaline lantern flashlight.

You might want to check out the "review" section of this forum... the top thread in that section is a sticky that's called "review websites (external)"... you'll find several good websites that have well-thought out reviews, pictures, comparisons, et cetera.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Scorpion is a bright light but has wider beam than (for example) the Pelican M6, as I understand it. For maximum throw you need a very narrow beam. The PM6 is $30 from batterystation.com's CPF member page.

If you don't mind a lantern-size light you could look at the UKE SL6, which is powered by six C cells, also around $30 from various dealers.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The Scorpion is a bright light but has wider beam than (for example) the Pelican M6, as I understand it...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, and the new TL-2 significantly out-throws the Scorpion though at a higher price.

Brightnorm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Throw vs. Output chart in the Reviews forum, folks! Exact copy of what's on my site, so you can see it there as well.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If you don't mind a lantern-size light you could look at the UKE SL6, which is powered by six C cells, also around $30 from various dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will put in a vote for the SL6 also it by far out throws any of the 2-cell lithium's but is also a bit bigger.

Rex01

Newly Enlightened
Datasaurus, I have to disagree about lantern throw vs. Scorpion throw. Most 6 volt lanterns will easily out-throw most of the 2L lights out there (the Pelican M6 may be an exception). The lantern's bean is narrower, and often not pretty, but it will still out-throw most of the competition.