14500 light with output & performance like a SWM V11R, but sized like a Fenix E11?

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
14500 light with output & performance like a SWM V11R, but sized like a Fenix E11?

I have a V11R XM-L U2 light. It's great an awesome light when it puts out 500 OTF lumens, and I like the size for the most part. However, I find myself using the AA extender and a 14500 more than the 16340 (slightly better capacity and it's easier & cheaper for me to keep spare AA's in my bag for it).

My main issue is that it's actually a bit too wide/thick for my bag as it puts more of a bulge in the pocket than I'd like. Therefore, I'd like to find a similar light to what I have now, but just skinnier like the size of a Fenix E11. I'm basically looking for the following.....

- uses a 14500
- 450+ lumens preferred on max or high mode with a 14500
- 3 or more modes, like low/med/high.... strobe or SOS is not needed (does not need "infinite" control ring)
- as short as possible (I like the length of my V10R with the RCR123 in it.... it's a little longer than I'd like with a 14500 in it)
- as skinny as possible (my V10R is too thick for my bag, but my old Fenix E11 was nice & skinny and fit well in my bag)
- tailcap clicky switch w/momentary (preferred) or twist-on is good (I don't care for the button position of the Zebralights)

Price range, I'd like to keep it under $200 but would be willing to spend money on a good light for my EDC bag. Is there anything out there that fits this niche?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in hearing the responses and looking for a similar light. I also like the 14500/AA format for the same reasons but unfortunately, all of the premium lights, esp. with these requirements, seem primarily focused on the CR123 format with the AAs relegated to a second-class status.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Re: 14500 light with output & performance like a SWM V11R, but sized like a Fenix E11

Perhaps Xeno E03?

How does the Xeno E03 compare to the ThruNite 1A (both using a 14500) in comparison with throw and actual light output?

There's a youtube vid where they have a natural white E03 against a cool white 1A, and the E03 does have a lot more spill and really brights up the room. But it looks like the 1A has a brighter hotspot and may throw better than the E03.

Any opinions on this? From what I can tell, the Xeno E03 is about half hte price of the ThruNite 1A.

Samy

Enlightened
Re: 14500 light with output & performance like a SWM V11R, but sized like a Fenix E11

What about the V10A? Surely it's shorter and narrower than a V10R with extender. I use my V10A everyday with a 14500. Very pocketable.

Cheers

SDM44

Newly Enlightened

What about the V10A? Surely it's shorter and narrower than a V10R with extender. I use my V10A everyday with a 14500. Very pocketable.

The specs say that the width is exactly the same on a V10A and V10R (.91" or 23mm). At almost 1" wide, it's pretty thick IMO.

For comparison, the Fenix E11 is .75" wide, or 19mm. That small amount makes a considerable difference when in your hand or in a pocket.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

MBI Torpedo?

It's not in production yet, and uses 10440 instead of 14500, but it's projected to get you 500 lumens on 3.7V 10440.

Check out the thread here.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

other than the ones mentioned here, the quark mini fits the thin and handy requirement.

maybe even the quark AA will do. that's actually the EDC i use up to now (several years already). I basically like the many modes of the quark and its tough to beat and works very well. (I recently went swimming with it for the most part of our company outing) I even activated it and changed modes while completely under water, no problems whatsoever.

The V10A is also a good alternative, but its relatively the same thickness at the V11R.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The infinitely variable control rings of the SWM "V" series lights seem to have a pretty significant overhead drain to them that kill the low lumen runtimes...... if that's important to you. I actually like the M series better, but with no sub-lumen level.

Guess I'll stick with the Quark AAX for now.

Last edited: