RCR123A light? Help me out!

Peloton

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think I'm ready for a light upgrade. I've been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro at work, nothing special. While I like the size, it's time to step up to something a little more powerful. I've already decided I want it to work with Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123A (750mah), because I already have cells and chargers. I did a little googling on LiFePO4 flashlights, and I wasn't really sure what would work with them and what wouldn't so I thought I'd ask :thumbsup:

Here's some of my criteria..
1. Will work with LiFePO4 cells
2. Small(ish)
3. < $100

A clip would be nice, but not necessary if it was too big for a shirt pocket (I work in an automotive shop). I like the look and modularity of the Quarks, but I don't know if they will work with my cells. High/Low/Strobe is good enough for me. I'm not really sure if I'm looking for throw or spread or what exactly, but I'd like it to have a fairly smooth light path with no hot spots.

Oh, and lastly... I want it to be brighter than a Stinger. Tired of hearing my coworker say "This is the brightest light EVER". :naughty: Can this be done?

Your link has been replaced with a description, please read the red banner at the top of the page - Norm

Edit: Sorry Norm. Fixed text for readability

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, yes, it can be much brighter than a Stinger. But in a small light with a small reflector, all of that light will be kind of floody. So your friend's stinger will still throw a whole lot further outdoors. But if you stand in a dark room, an RCR light can put out more overall light.

Okay, a few things. First, when did those Tenergy Lifepo4's become 750 mAh? That's very very hard to believe for me ... I'd be somewhat surprised if they're much more 500 mAh. They were selling those batteries as 550 mAh a couple of years ago, which seems to have been a lie even then, and I missed it if there's been some chemistry improvement. In any case, though I wouldn't have gone with that battery chemistry, here are some options. First, just a note: for me, though I like the build quality of the quarks, I find the UI unusable. I don't want my light changing modes every time I hit the switch a little too quickly -- just doesn't work with my style of using the light. I also don't like having to click-click-click-click to get to the mode I want. Complete mismatch to me, "our engineers aren't really even trying" UI. Obviously, zillions of happy customers disagree.

Some really good options, with really good UIs, include the Sunwayman V10R (find an XP-G version for 225ish lumens and relatively more throw, an XM-L version for 400+ish lumens with relatively more flood) and the Jetbeam RRT-01 (500ish lumens, relatively more flood). For the XM-L lights, you will see slightly lower output, because those 400-500 lumen measurements require a 4.2V Li Ion chemistry, so you might lose 100 lumens with the Lifepo4. The Sunwayman has a forward clickie switch and a brightness ring; the Jegbeam has a brightness ring only. For *me*, both infinitely better than any click-click-click-click interface

Peloton

Newly Enlightened
First, yes, it can be much brighter than a Stinger. But in a small light with a small reflector, all of that light will be kind of floody. So your friend's stinger will still throw a whole lot further outdoors. But if you stand in a dark room, an RCR light can put out more overall light.

Okay, a few things. First, when did those Tenergy Lifepo4's become 750 mAh? That's very very hard to believe for me ... I'd be somewhat surprised if they're much more 500 mAh. They were selling those batteries as 550 mAh a couple of years ago, which seems to have been a lie even then, and I missed it if there's been some chemistry improvement. In any case, though I wouldn't have gone with that battery chemistry, here are some options. First, just a note: for me, though I like the build quality of the quarks, I find the UI unusable. I don't want my light changing modes every time I hit the switch a little too quickly -- just doesn't work with my style of using the light. I also don't like having to click-click-click-click to get to the mode I want. Complete mismatch to me, "our engineers aren't really even trying" UI. Obviously, zillions of happy customers disagree.

Some really good options, with really good UIs, include the Sunwayman V10R (find an XP-G version for 225ish lumens and relatively more throw, an XM-L version for 400+ish lumens with relatively more flood) and the Jetbeam RRT-01 (500ish lumens, relatively more flood). For the XM-L lights, you will see slightly lower output, because those 400-500 lumen measurements require a 4.2V Li Ion chemistry, so you might lose 100 lumens with the Lifepo4. The Sunwayman has a forward clickie switch and a brightness ring; the Jegbeam has a brightness ring only. For *me*, both infinitely better than any click-click-click-click interface

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I will check out those makes. I didn't put much thought initially into UI differences; I'll have to keep reading.

And yes, the LiFePO4s I have are 750mah Tenergys... they have a green label. I know they aren't the norm, but they are safe and I have about 30 of them haha :)