(original) Surefire titan- Flickering light repair

spc

Enlightened
I had recently purchased a defective surefire titan. The light would flicker and jump brightness levels when turned on/off. The light would also flicker when shaken or wiggled.

I took off the head. This can be done by using a pin- pushing in the retaining ring and pulling at the same time. (in the holes at the base of the head)

After the head came off, I found the emitter/base was up in the head and there were some prongs sticking up off the board that looked like they should be soldered to the board. I found some photos on the web that showed the head off and the emitter on the circuit, on the body. So basically, the led came loose either from lots of movement over time or weak solder joints (the light had been previously modded)
10f6mw7.jpg

2dl0h6p.jpg

I cleaned the prongs, and put some flux on them. Also put some flux on the led solder area. Put the led back on the circuit and re-soldered. The flux let the solder flow back down the prongs.
2lcwb40.jpg

I had it apart so i cleaned the o-rings and grooves + added some more lube.. Put the head back on and it works! Doesn't flicker, jump around during light output selection. Very smooth ramping. Doesn't flicker when shaken either.
izb40p.jpg

I could see this being a common problem with all titans over time because the pegs were so short and the soldering area is so small. Maybe someone with this issue can give it a try :cool:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew you'd get it taken care of, nice job :twothumbs

I'd like to make you an offer, I'll pay you 3 TIMES what you paid for it :laughing:

spc

Enlightened
Thanks Tim, I wasn't going to mess with it but the head came off a lot easier than I thought...
thanks for the offer :grin2:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoulda swapped out the emitter since you were in there :D

spc

Enlightened
nah, the emitter is super nice, high cri. I took the photos with my phone, it doesnt show the nice color. Here it is compared to my t1a (stock)
o05dfo.jpg

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I wasn't aware they modded the emitter already. I wonder who did the crap job in the first place?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful job repairing that Titan. I have one that's not given trouble, but I've bookmarked your thread for future reference. Valuable information here!