Help Please, Flashlight Quit

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My 2AA Mini MagLite quit working today, and it is not the bulb or batteries.

I think it is a problem with the switching mechanizm because if I take of the reflector/lens assembly off (as if I were to change the bulb), and I very carefully move the little black circular thing, the light bulb will flicker and sometimes even light for a few seconds.

Please tell me what to do to correct this problem.
If it means anything to you, I have made absolutly no modifications, am still on the second bulb (have not used the light much), and have never droped it, abused it, or got it wet.

Thank you for your help.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
If it's that new, maybe just turn it in for another one? I believe Maglites have lifetime warranties.

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have had it for about seven years, but I have just never bothered taking it out of the box until recently.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Even at 7 years old you can send it to a service center but at the current sale prices of $7-$9 you'd be best off getting a new one. Or if you can find anything better
smile.gif
something different. You might get a few suggestions here
grin.gif

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
I am hoping someone can tell me exactly what is wrong and perhaps how to fix it without going to the hastle of sending it in for service.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Have you tried cleaning all the metal parts? after 7 years there might be some corrosion on them... It is a pretty straightforward design, so there isn't much expertize needed.
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the plastic part is popping up too much? Try this: Remove the end of the light, push your batteries upwards and your plastic part downwards.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch is supposed to be self cleaning if you grip the top of the assembly and rotate it with the batteries in it the contacts should wipe them selves clean and start making better contact.
Chris

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure that the tiny metal part that provides a negative battery contact between the bulb and flashlight body is still in place (and not bent)

This photo shows how it should look

fceb3608.jpg

Also check the inner lip of the battery tube (where the above metal part makes contact) and ensure it is clean.

If all else fails throw the whole switch mechanism away and purchase one of dat2zip's madmax sandwiches, you won't regret it
grin.gif

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
Thank You very much

I took almost all of your suggestions, and they worked.

I pulled off the tail cap and using a pensil (eraser end), I Pused up on the batteries and pressed down on the black cap. It maid a faint clicking sound.

I then twisted the black circular disk thing (I did not remove it because it says "do not remove"), and I took out the batteries and put a brush with a soft end up to the point where the battery makes contact to clean it. I also wiped the freads on the tail cap and the tube clean. I wiped the spring on the tail cap against a sheat of paper to make it very shinny for good contact.

For the first time sience I took it out of the box, it lights up white instead of yellow. I am assuming that there was some kind of debris causing electrcal resistance.

Thank You very much.