The Best UI ever?...Maybe not...

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello there,...

on another thread, there was a side comment on there about the User Interface UI on the Prometheus being the worst UI ever invented on a flashlight.
is it really that bad, and is it better compared to the UI on the Zebralights?...considering its custom made and costs much more.
what really is so bad about it?.

thanks.

StandardBattery commented....

" ...BUT the UI was just not for me the last time I read about it. He had some blurb on his site about how the 'memory-mode' was like the best thing ever, where I consider it the worst UI feature ever invented on a flashlight. Now if I could get the HDS interface on that light of even just a no-memory L-M-H sequence (or even M-H) I'd take a second look at it " .

:eek:oo:

thread with comment : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ht-Available&p=4126812&highlight=#post4126812

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don think there is a best, its just whatever you like.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a big fan of the memory mode on these drivers.
IIRC it's memory after couple of seconds of being ON.

So if you turn light ON, it comes on HIGH then after 2 seconds if you want to change modes you have to cycle through HIGH level again since it's now saved in memory to get to the next level MED.

If it has to be memory mode I would prefer it to happen after 2 seconds during OFF.

So if you turn light ON, it comes on HIGH and you can cycle through levels any time without repeating levels. Then when you leave it OFF for more than 2 seconds the next time you turn it back ON it will come on at last used level.

That being said I prefer the NO MEMORY drivers that start on LOW.

nbp

Flashaholic
You should probably get an understanding of how the UI works, and then decide for yourself if it something you want or not. No one really can tell you if it is bad or good. I personally think it's OK, but that's just me, and I have lots of lights with all different UIs. For you, it may not be right.

In the many many threads you have started you are generally asking others opinions on all kinds of things with regards to what is good or better...

What do YOU want? What do YOU use your light for? What do YOU need to accomplish that? Figure that out, post the requirements, and members will help you find the light that fits the bill.

FWIW, the driver in the Alpha can be reprogrammed....

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best is, always turbo only for single switch light, unless theres another button for cycling modes

Pöbel

Enlightened
AW: The Best UI ever?...Maybe not...

while i love my hds clickies, the best UI is a button for on/off and a dedicated controll ring for brightness and only brightness. It does not need explaining, its super simple and intuitive.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.
I'm not a big fan of the memory mode on these drivers.
IIRC it's memory after couple of seconds of being ON.

So if you turn light ON, it comes on HIGH then after 2 seconds if you want to change modes you have to cycle through HIGH level again since it's now saved in memory to get to the next level MED.

If it has to be memory mode I would prefer it to happen after 2 seconds during OFF.

So if you turn light ON, it comes on HIGH and you can cycle through levels any time without repeating levels. Then when you leave it OFF for more than 2 seconds the next time you turn it back ON it will come on at last used level.

That being said I prefer the NO MEMORY drivers that start on LOW.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Re: AW: The Best UI ever?...Maybe not...

I like HDS, Zebra, EagleTac, and the Surefire two-stage push/twisty (like the A2). I want a flexible interface that allows me to always start in a low, moonlight-esque mode but have the flexibility of easily switching to other modes.

Zebra does it real well. With the touch of a button I can get low or high super easily, with medium just a slight wait as it cycles out of low. And each level allows me to hit another level within it with just a double click. Pretty slick.

HDS is awesome for the customizability, but getting into the various modes is a bit cumbersome, requiring click, press and hold, or double or triple clicks. Not as easy and not intuitive. Still my fav light overall just for customization.

Eagletac is very easy to use, probably just behind ZL.

SF is KISS and I can hand it to anyone to use with minimal explanation. I can't lend out the other lights very easily, and probably wouldn't anyway!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Prometheus Ready-Made and I like the UI. LMH with memory is good for me because I get the flexibility I want. Most of the time, I want to start on Low. Whatever mode I'm in, I just cycle to Low and set the memory and it is ready for my next use. If Low doesn't meet my needs, I can quickly cycle through Medium and High. I like seeing Medium before High because usually this provides enough light. But sometimes when I go out at night, I want the light to always start on High. Before I go out, I cycle to high and set the memory. I like this UI because it provides the flexibility to set the light up for the purpose I need.

I don't have a Zebralight and was curious about the UI. I went to one of the reviews posted and straight to the section on UI. "While it may sound a little complex when first described, it is actually quite easy to use." 8 paragraphs follow. I agree that this UI provides a lot of flexibility, but the flexibility seems to come with a cost. If so many people are happy with this, I don't understand the rants about memory.

Last edited:

Tulip bush

Enlightened

Predator sounds to be a very flexible uni....if not the most.

IMSabbel

Enlightened

For me the best is Sunwayman V-series type.

Magnetic ring for direct, intuitive brightness control, plus forward clicky for on/off.

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened

... the best UI is a button for on/off and a dedicated controll ring for brightness and only brightness. It does not need explaining, its super simple and intuitive.

Yeah the Sunwayman V series, and similar models are flexible. Variable forward clicky lets you do momentary without changing modes by accident, let's you start off in high or low, you can go high or low from a medium. Simple enough that anyone who has used a faucet will understand how it works.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am personally VERY happy with the UI on my Prometheus light.

markr6

Flashaholic

Old thread but I wanted to post since I finally realized which UI's I like and which ones are almost useless to me.

Best-worst in descending order:

1. Zebralight - Instant access to every mode. Quick access to additional submodes (easy double click)
2. Nitecore (EA4) - I like having momentary and quick access to all modes. Even though you have to cycle through them, it's still a single button
3. Twist - I never liked twisties, but with 3 or less modes it's acceptable for SOME applications
4. Fenix models with a side switch - I'm really sick of this. I love my PD32UEs but rarely use them since I have to fumble with two buttons positioned in completely different locations and cycle thru FIVE modes. Dumb.

I never had a variable ring control but this sounds like it would be towards the top.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

For me the best is Sunwayman V-series type.

Magnetic ring for direct, intuitive brightness control, plus forward clicky for on/off.

:party: yes. if you are in a high tense situation, you will not fumble. can access any output straight from off. forward clicky is king. of course variable ramp isn't as efficient and impossible to guess the runtime for battery management. i think a rotatry ring with detents for 3-5 outputs would be best.

i would love a magnetic ring headlamp. zebralight, spark isn't 100% perfect. zebralight you can customize each output. but if you use medium often there is always an output to go through first. spark, you can access your favorite output all the time but no custom tweaking of outputs.

Theron

Newly Enlightened

I like having lots of different UIs. Keeps things fun and interesting.