XTAR VP1 Two Bay LCD Charger

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
It actually is nicer than the pictures can tell. The LED is jet black and neon blue, but not retro like the pictures show.

We've been waiting many months for this from XTAR, and even though they only shipped a handful (only 120 units initially produced), it doesn't disappoint. Still, I wish it had a mAh counter so we can have a rough idea how the battery is doing. Sure, it won't be a good indicator of capacity, but it would give a relative indication.

img1117p.jpg

img1118i.jpg

img1119jg.jpg

img1120dt.jpg

img1121n.jpg

img1122yz.jpg

img1123dl.jpg

img1124o.jpg

donn_

Flashaholic
Interesting coincidence. I just ordered 3 different Xtar chargers today, including this one, the 2A model and the little one with the USB output.

__philippe

Enlightened
Waiting with bated breath for the imminent release of HKJ's definitive VP1 test/review...;)

__philippe

HKJ

Flashaholic
Waiting with bated breath for the imminent release of HKJ's definitive VP1 test/review...;)

Take it easy, I need a couple more days to measure and write. I hope to publish something during the coming weekend.
The charge curves I have done until now looks very good, the only "problem" I have seen until now is a minor cosmetic detail (The white around the display), this can also be seen on the photo by Ualnosaj.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I had seen a photo of this some time ago with a 18650 in one bay and a 16340 in the other. I was actually hoping you could select the charge current independently, doesn't seem to be the case.

bestsystem

Newly Enlightened
can it charge 4.35 volts cells properly:naughty:?
High voltage chemistry is getting increasingly popular now :poof:

Zeus33

Newly Enlightened
....the only "problem" I have seen until now is a minor cosmetic detail (The white around the display), this can also be seen on the photo by Ualnosaj.

It appears as though the display is not mounted/aligned properly and therefore you are seeing a gap, on the top and the bottom. Is that an accurate assessment? If so, it's disappointing for it to be a recurring issue on a charger that costs this much.

HKJ

Flashaholic
It appears as though the display is not mounted/aligned properly and therefore you are seeing a gap, on the top and the bottom. Is that an accurate assessment? If so, it's disappointing for it to be a recurring issue on a charger that costs this much.

That might be part of the reason, but another reason is that the display is mounted with a small distance to the front glass, i.e. depending on the viewing angle I can see light all the way around the display.

duranged2001

Newly Enlightened
Is this worth it compared to the SP2? I'm buying a couple to start off with Li-ion batteries.

I just bought the SP2 along with a couple of Intl-Outdoor 3400mAh 18650s. The charger is nice and simple. I can check the charge with my multi-meter if I want, but I guess I'll trust the green lights to mean a full charge.

arjay

Newly Enlightened
I'll probably mostly use it with 14500 and 18650, maybe 26650 cells. I have two DMMs to test voltage so this would be a waste of money?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'll probably mostly use it with 14500 and 18650, maybe 26650 cells. I have two DMMs to test voltage so this would be a waste of money?

I will not call a good charger waste of money, but you do not need it, the SP2 will work perfectly for you charging.

verge

Newly Enlightened
Xtar SP2 has higher charging rate for bigger batteries, 500mA, 1A and 2A.
Xtar VP2 has lower charging rate for smaller batteries, 250mA, 500mA and 1A.

Xtar SP2 has led lights for battery charging status info.
Xtar VP2 has LCD for battery charging status info.

What other features and functions could be new and/or improvement with Xtar VP1 compared to Xtar SP2?

Is its circuit design and construction better and more efficient than Xtar SP2?

Does it have the same "engine" used in SP2?

I hope this one turns out as good or better than SP2. Xtar SP2 looks good to me already.