Sunwayman Lights - S10A and S10R

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I just got an email from Battery Junction about seome new lights from Sunwayman called the S10A and S10R.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunw...aymanS10AR&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=body

theshorelinemarket_2272_68692371

They do look interesting.

Does anyone have any more info on them?

wjv

Enlightened
Strange run times. . I'd expect the CR123 to outperform the AA at all illumination levels. .

SunwaymanS10_zps10799476.png

CMAG

Enlightened
I wondered if the run time's are based on 14500 vs rcr123

CMAG

Enlightened
clip looks better than those clip on clips but I like deeper pocket.
will these clips fit S/F E

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Strange run times. . I'd expect the CR123 to outperform the AA at all illumination levels. .

I got the same e-mail this morning, from Battery Junction.

I'm intrigued by these new offerings from Sunwayman. There doesn't seem to be anything that implies the 360 lumen turbo mode is available only with the lithium ion battery (the 14500, or the RCR123 - as is the case with the far more expensive V11R - which I own and love). This is a huge plus, for non-flashaholics who probably wouldn't be willing to invest in lithium ion batteries and a charger - or for people who have fears of using lithium ion batteries.

I like the idea of the electronic mode switching at the tailcap (with soft presses), rather than twisty changes. Nice! My biggest complaint about twisty lights (aside from the awkwardness of use, compared to their fully mechanical counterparts) is that the threads seem to need cleaning a lot more often, to keep them running (in all modes) properly, without glitches.

I'll definitely look forward to reading more about this light, from people who submit reviews and (hopefully) post some beam shots.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
I wondered if the run time's are based on 14500 vs rcr123

Good Point!

============
---With the light head tightened
1、Regular Modes: slightly depress the tail cap switch once to activate the light, and slightly depress another time to choose from Low- Mid- High outputs, each depress for one mode and it goes in cycles. Fully depress to choose your desired mode and lock it.
2、Hidden Modes: there are SOS and Slow Flash hidden. To avoid accidental activation of the hidden modes, only after two continuous cycles of regular modes, will the SOS be activated, another slightly depressing at SOS will enter Slow Flash. Fully depress to choose your desired mode and lock it.
3、Memory Function: the most recent mode used will be memorized for future use, hidden modes not included and replacing of new batteries or disconnect of light head and body will refresh the modes.

----With the light head loosened
1、Slightly depress the tail cap switch once to enter Strobe mode, and another time to activate Turbo mode. Fully depress to choose and lock your desired mode.
2、No memory function, first slight depressing will always activate Strobe

So you ALWAYS have to go through Strobe to get to Turbo? :banghead:

It just went from my "I want one" list to my "Don't care" list. . . .

I would really love a one or two lumen flashlight. Just got a 47s QTLC - XP-G2 and it is 0.25 lumen which is too low for me, but the next step up is almost 5 lumen which is too high for many things. :mecry:

Last edited:

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
----With the light head loosened
1、Slightly depress the tail cap switch once to enter Strobe mode, and another time to activate Turbo mode. Fully depress to choose and lock your desired mode.
2、No memory function, first slight depressing will always activate Strobe

So you ALWAYS have to go through Strobe to get to Turbo? :banghead:

It just went from my "I want one" list to my "Don't care" list. . . .

I would really love a one or two lumen flashlight. Just got a 47s QTLC - XP-G2 and it is 0.25 lumen which is too low for me, but the next step up is almost 5 lumen which is too high for many things. :mecry:

I have to agree with you about that. :(

I EDC my lights with so that Turbo Mode can be accessed as quickly as possible. Usually with just a single button press. Having to go thru Strobe to get to the Turbo just won't work for me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the current trend toward AA/14500 lights. Looks to me like they've cherry picked the best mode spec between Li-ion and Primary for each mode - a 14500 has greater capacity (see HKJ's reviews) than a 16340 and should beat it every time... although not sure what AA primary can beat the CR123 on low. The 70/80 lumen medium looks too close to high / far away from low - awful big gap there for small single cell light and probably a deal breaker for me. Sounds like a mechanical clicky which should prove more reliable than electronic, but yeah, going through strobe to get to Turbo??? hope that's a misprint.

wjv

Enlightened
The 70/80 lumen medium looks too close to high / far away from low - awful big gap there for small single cell light and probably a deal breaker for me

Agreed!!

I would have liked to seen something in the 15-30 lumen range (preferably ~15-20) between the low and the medium setting! I do like that the low setting is only 2 lumen. Perfect for many situations!

I also don't get the 2 lumens for just 60 hours. My Fenix PD22 does 8 lumens for 97 hours; My 47s Mini ML does 3.6 lumens for 150 hours; Both using just one CR123 battery.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
....I also don't get the 2 lumens for just 60 hours. My Fenix PD22 does 8 lumens for 97 hours; My 47s Mini ML does 3.6 lumens for 150 hours; Both using just one CR123 battery.

Yeah there's some inconsistency on thses SWM specs. However, I'd take manufacturer specs with a grain of salt. I test my lights with a light meter and randomly with a stopwatch. Now I'm a huge Quark fan, and find their specs quite accurate/conservative, but my Mini AAs (I believe they all use the same 0.9-3v circuit) have proven to be disappointing on both lumens and runtime. Sorry to say but, you'd be lucky to see half that runtime from your Mini CLICKY. I don't believe Fenix's low lumen runtimes either (unless it drops out of regulation early)... but I don't own any to test.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Just received S10R review sample.
Nice size.Lightweight.Excellent grip. I like the pocket clip,no matter it has a little bit sharper edges than needed.
I am surprised of the quality.Anodizing is not that great.There is dust in it and the O-ring was absolutely dry.Looks like this is more budget light.

I'm not lucky.I use protected 16340 battery and looks like it is too long(2mm more) and I can't activate the regular mode.So,for now only Strobe/Turbo.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Got an email from sunwayman in response to my question about the having to go through strobe to get to turbo.

Their response:
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your email.

The Strobe is hidden and will be activated only after two cycles of regular switch, and it has no memory function.

You may refer to here, the detailed description in the middle, thanks.

Best Regards,
Customer Service

SUNWAYMAN / SUNWAYFOTO
SUNWAY OPTO-ELECTRONIC (GROUP) CO.,LTD

To which I responded:
That is NOT what your web page says.

From your web page:

---With the light head loosened
1.Slightly depress the tail cap switch once to enter Strobe mode, and another time to
activate Turbo mode. Fully depress to choose and lock your desired mode.
2.No memory function, first slight depressing will always activate Strobe.

Also from your web page:
.Hidden Modes: there are SOS and Slow Flash hidden

So that indicates that ONLY SOS and slow flash are hidden.

Maybe you should clarify how it actually works on your web page. Rght not is sure sounds like you MUST go though Strobe to get to Turbo.

Please keep in mind Rule #12. Reposting Private Communications. This looks OK as it seems to be for public dissemination. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look so nice.

I just wish they would have made the AA tube comparatively thinner, as the 123 version reflects its shorter cell. Though I understand why (making different diameters is more expensive than different lengths).

kj2

Flashaholic
The Strobe is hidden and will be activated only after two cycles of regular switch, and it has no memory function.
You may refer to here, the detailed description in the middle, thanks.

To which I responded:
That is NOT what your web page says.

From your web page:

---With the light head loosened
1.Slightly depress the tail cap switch once to enter Strobe mode, and another time to
activate Turbo mode. Fully depress to choose and lock your desired mode.
2.No memory function, first slight depressing will always activate Strobe.

Also from your web page:
.Hidden Modes: there are SOS and Slow Flash hidden

So that indicates that ONLY SOS and slow flash are hidden.

Maybe you should clarify how it actually works on your web page. Rght not is sure sounds like you MUST go though Strobe to get to Turbo.
That was the main reason for me, to buy this light. That with the head loosened you have strobe always first.

FlashLion

Enlightened
So strobe is first? On these models.
Strobe is first when the head is loosened.
The only way to use turbo(it's second),which is pretty bright,is to click twice-one half press,one full press.

Last edited: