Sunwayman Lights - S10A and S10R

wjv

Enlightened
That was the main reason for me, to buy this light. That with the head loosened you have strobe always first.

In a self-defense situation, I'm not going to waste time seeing if a strobe works. I'll go to with Fox Lab pepper spray as my first line of defense.

Problem is, some people really like having the strobe, and others like me could care less about it. I wish more flashlight makers would just allow the user to program which come first, or if they even want/don't-want strobe.

I don't mind a hidden beacon or SOS as I could see someone using it to signal for help. But I am not convinced that strobe is even 50% reliable in stopping or disorientating someone. I've tried it on my dog and he simply ignores me. My younger daughter (9) isn't effected by it at all. All i get is the "stop bugging me" look. the only useful purpose I've found was on Halloween. I set up various flashlights in different rooms of the house; pointed them at the windows; and set them on strobe. Go lots of comments from the kids that it looked really cool!

kj2

Flashaholic
In a self-defense situation, I'm not going to waste time seeing if a strobe works. I'll go to with Fox Lab pepper spray as my first line of defense.
Problem is, some people really like having the strobe, and others like me could care less about it. I wish more flashlight makers would just allow the user to program which come first, or if they even want/don't-want strobe.
I don't mind a hidden beacon or SOS as I could see someone using it to signal for help. But I am not convinced that strobe is even 50% reliable in stopping or disorientating someone. I've tried it on my dog and he simply ignores me. My younger daughter (9) isn't effected by it at all. All i get is the "stop bugging me" look. the only useful purpose I've found was on Halloween. I set up various flashlights in different rooms of the house; pointed them at the windows; and set them on strobe. Go lots of comments from the kids that it looked really cool!

Everybody has his/hers preferences with mode settings. Where I live, I'm basically limited to a flashlight and a (small)knife for self-defense.
For what I've seen, a strobe rate between 12-20Hz will stop someone for a few seconds. Enough for me to run or attack back.

wjv

Enlightened
While I don't like strobes, I do agree that if you are going to offer a strobe, you should have some method of instant access. Having to twist a head back and forth 11 times while chanting kumbaya will do little for you in a self defense situation.

I think Klarus has the right idea with two tail switches. One for the light and one for instant access to the strobe. I don't care for the Klarus tactical lights because they ALWAYS come on in turbo mode, and there is no way to change that default. But I understand. They are aiming for the LE market, and if I was a cop, all by myself, stopping a car load of suspected gang-bangers at 3am on a deserted road; I'd want a light that instantly illuminates that car, turning night into high noon!

Not being a cop, I prefer lights that always come on in the lowest mode, or at least have a memory. If Klarus provided a way to custom set which mode always came on first, I'd buy an XT11 today. . .

FlashLion

Enlightened
Successfully tested the S10R with tightened head. There are three regular output modes.Low,Medium,High.
High is just right for an EDC light.Bright enough for me and even brighter than what I usually use.Medium is very nice for close range work or walking.Low is very nice,but in full darkness some of you will find it too bright.
Hidden modes are SOS(very good speed) and slow flash(beacon) less than hertz.The hidden modes are activating in sequence: low-mid-high-low-mid-high-SOS-slow flash
My sample has no memory for the last used mode and always starts on Low.

hurld

Newly Enlightened
How would the output and throw of the s10a compare to my nitecore ea1 with both running on 14500 batteries? I've yet to find a single aa light that will out throw my ea1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trevilux

Enlightened
I can not start new topics review.
I leave here my little photographic and technical review of the Olight S10R

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-S10A-S10R!!&p=4769279&viewfull=1#post4769279

WOW !!!. Sunwayman S10R NICE Flashlight

My opinion about the S10R. Pics review

yzJHh2b.jpg

4RSMHZE.jpg

Content: flashlight, rubber spare, spare O'Rings, Lanyard, user manual in English and Chinese.

uJ5VjYa.jpg

aNeLDhJ.jpg

buD6x3q.jpg

SF13dR7.jpg

iMRLGhP.jpg

L65j8hx.jpg

7P2Gpa5.jpg

w4q5bSj.jpg

pjoSmu2.jpg

BEAM:

8XFqfiz.jpg

kPwJ1Du.jpg

tb2DHw1.jpg

Regulation and Perfomance are excellent

JDeOZUI.jpg

Pci8ENH.jpg

Runtime with primary cr123a is very good.

Extra Pics:

wer5Wpg.jpg

holAXPH.jpg

Conclusion:
:twothumbs
Led powerful, well centered, high quality anodized, and very good regulation.
Double Clip function very useful.
Good grip. Allows Tailstand and momentary-on.
Compact size, good EDC.

:thinking:
It's a bit hard turning of the threads.

I think it merits 9/10

wjv

Enlightened
Note: The specs that Battery Junction sent out may be slightly off.

From the Sunwayman website:

S10A
Turbo: 360 Lumens (1hr.) (Automatically enter High mode after 5 mins continuous use )
High: 135 Lumens (1.8hrs.)
Mid: 70 Lumens (4hrs.)
Low: 2 Lumens (100hrs.)

- Constant current circuit, constant output
- Effective range of 128 meters
- Intensity: 4080cd

S10R
Turbo: 360 Lumens (1hr.) (Automatically enter High mode after 5 mins continuous use)
High: 185 Lumens (2.1hrs.)
Mid: 80 Lumens (6hrs.)
Low: 8 Lumens (60hrs.)

- Constant current circuit, constant output
- Effective range of 128 meters
- Intensity: 4080cd

Note that the S10R box in Trevilux's review also has 8 lumen printed on it as the spec for the low.

So if you're looking for that 2 lumen low, it looks like the 'AA' version is the only one that has it.

I really wish they had one additional level between the low and the medium.

Last edited:

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Would have gone for the A but the low is just too low and useless for me. If there was a 10 to 20 lumen mode to bypass the low then it would have been ok but to jump to 70 thats just a gap too far. It looks great though

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would have gone for the A but the low is just too low and useless for me. If there was a 10 to 20 lumen mode to bypass the low then it would have been ok but to jump to 70 thats just a gap too far. It looks great though

I agree...a low between 10 and 20 is more important to me than a moonlight mode...I have 4 lights with moonlight modes...need a long running workable low at this point. I find 12~20 lumen good for most close range tasks...and still offers great run time too.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Re: R: Sunwayman Lights - S10A and S10R

Trevilux, does your S10R have memory for the last used mode?
Looks like they sent you a better anodized flashlight.My S10R lacks anodizing between the cooling fins.

This flashlight is great for attaching to a cap.Turns into a nice headlamp,nice floody light.:tinfoil:

Last edited:

Trevilux

Enlightened
Re: R: Sunwayman Lights - S10A and S10R

Hi FlashLion. My S10R has no memory for the last mode used.
With primary cr123a regulation is excellent, I am very happy with it.
Regards.

Trevilux

Enlightened
-Loosened head; always turn on strobe (estrobo-Turbo-Strobo-Turbo. ..)
-Tightened head; always turn on Low (Low-Mid-High-Low-Mid-High-SOS-Signal)

-(with flashlight on) in Low mode or medium or high (or SOS or Signal), by loosening head turbo mode is activated.