Surface Marker Flare

Bogie

Enlightened
Need some recommendations for outfitting my FD with some new Water Rescue gear and having some difficulty finding a good steady burn light to attach to our life vest for boat operations. I like the Princeton Tech Eco Flare but want a bit brighter red LED regular battery's a plus.

Klem

Enlightened
By 'steady burn' I take it you mean constant-on (not flashing?), like a normal torch?

If it's for a life-vest then flashing is the international convention for distress so why not have both flashing and contant-on? Tektite retail larger strobes; some with switching options of both contant-on and flashing. They are rated to 150M depth and reasonably priced.

The Tektite 6 is about the size of your Princeton Eco, but is brighter at 10Watts, same price, runs on 2*CR123 and good to 150M depth if you want to use it diving. It is multi-funtion so unlike the Eco you can turn it constantly on or have it flashing for distress. You can buy a few different body covers; red, orange, clear etc and swap them around depending of where you take it.
http://www.tek-tite.com/proddetail.php?prod=TEKNA_Lite_6_Strobe&cat=10

I have a Tektite Strobe 300 which I carry in a BC pocket when night diving. It's much bigger than I think you are looking for.

Last edited:

Bogie

Enlightened
We have strobe light currently attached to the vest, but being surface use on open water a steady burn is better suited for tracking personal if we need to exit the boat.