Flashlights and welding

Mervmaster

Newly Enlightened
I'm a welder for an industrial pipe fitting company in new jersey. Shamefully, I have no edc light. I've been indecisive for the nine months I spent as a mailman, and now i need one. its dark inside of those pipes and they need to be thoroughly inspected for slag. My main question is this: heat aside-will the outrageous voltage amperage, and side effect of electro magnetism disturb the circuitry inside a basic edc light?

As a side note, I'll take any and all recommendations for something slim, 80+ lumens and deep carry. AA or AAA cells please.

Thanks a lot!

cerbie

Enlightened
Depending on your definition of slim, what about a Malkoff MDC AA, in black or orange?

80+lm: check.
Deep pocket carry: check, check, and check again. The body is practically designed around a good pocket clip.
AA or AA: AA.
Not needing to try several different lesser flashlights, only to end up buying one that costs a little bit more, despite uninspiring specifications, and then not using the others: $99+sh. ;)

Keep in mind that for 80+lm on 1 AA, alkalines will generally not suffice for more than several minutes, and sometimes not even that. Treat them as a backup power source, and move to Eneloops, or another low self-discharge rechargeable, as your main power source. Make sure to get a charger that can charge each cell individually. This advice is the same for any AA flashlight.

I can't say about the electronics' safety for sure, but I have a hard time imagining a case where you would be fine, but not the electronics.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
They sell welding helmets with LED lights, so, unless its like paper bathing suits, LED's should be OK.

:D

I'm no pro, but the backyard MIG I've done has not affected any of my lights. I can't think of any reason why it should either. Realize that an LED is running about 80 C while lit. Also, +1 for Malkoff and check out 4sevens quarks with the deep-carry clip for good tough lights as well.

Mervmaster

Newly Enlightened
I got a four sevens m2a and I love it. I can one hand it in welding gloves but I'd like an end cap. Thinking a fenix ld12 next. But that malkoff looks tempting. I like the idea of the brightness memory on the fenix.

Do I forgo the cheaper light for USA make? Do I buy both?!?!

I'm afraid I have contracted

"Flashlitis" flash-lī-tis- N- a benign condition whereby the afflicted cannot manage to acquire sufficient number of handheld illuminators.

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
This is what I just bought my first "real" flashlight for (a Zebralight H602w) that I intend to use for welding. I haven't tried it out yet, and maybe should have searched this forum first, but I DID spend a LOT of time researching a "quality" flashlight (headlamp).

I don't anticipate having and issues with the circuitry, but forgot to consider the splatter and the lens of the torch. I also wasn't sure about the amount of lumens that woyld be adequate, so I went with tons to be safe.

I should be able to test the light tomorrow (assuming the 3500mah batteries I got fit alright).

-SPiNNeR-

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I just bought my first "real" flashlight for (a Zebralight H602w) that I intend to use for welding. I haven't tried it out yet, and maybe should have searched this forum first, but I DID spend a LOT of time researching a "quality" flashlight (headlamp).

I don't anticipate having and issues with the circuitry, but forgot to consider the splatter and the lens of the torch. I also wasn't sure about the amount of lumens that woyld be adequate, so I went with tons to be safe.

Welcome !
I don't think the lense is replaceable on your Zebralight. It is going to get pitted from spatter. It is an excellent choice for function. I bought a few extra rubber headband mounts from Zebralight and mounted them on my welding helmet. Nice to have the light right where you need it hands free. You will probably just need to buy a new light once a year from the lense pitting as a cost of doing business. Small price to pay for such a useful quality tool.

I should be able to test the light tomorrow (assuming the 3500mah batteries I got fit alright).

-SPiNNeR-

Excellent choice. Welcome to CPF !
The lense will end up pitting from slag but thats the cost of doing bussiness. I bought a few extra rubber headband holders and mounted them to my welding helmet at chin level. Nice to have the light right where it's needed.

Last edited:

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
I definitely am planning on using some sort of protective coating to protect my baby. At least for the first couple weeks. After that, I'm sure I'll get careless and just run the light naked. 😮

Anybody have suggestions for coatings? I'll probably just cut up used clear protective lenses from the welding mask and tape them to the light. See how long that lasts.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a few layers of clear tape on mine. Also smeared it with clear dielecric grease. It made a difference but then I gave in. The pitting will make it so you will just use the light at the next higher brightness level to get the same results as a non pitted lense. Every 2 years I replace my work headlamp.
Your idea of a piece of mask lense sounds the best.

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the plane heading home now. It should be waiting for me when I get home. I am VERY excited!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Zebralight will replace the lens for a reasonable cost, no need to scrap the light from pitting.
-Good excuse to buy a spare though before sending the first in for repair.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in this problem.
Maybe there's a mail order solution, I'm imagining something like the ballistic glass screen protector on my phone, it's something like .4 mm thick, the adhesive and plastic backer of the glass absorbs shock to protect the actual screen if the protector is overwhelmed and cracks.
It's like 12$ for the whole deal, precisely cut for my model of phone, if there is a way to re cut them (laser?) then 15 or more lens protector could be cut from a single one.
That's a whole bunch of trouble, I'm just saying the idea would work.
What would be sweet would be if Zebralight sold glass protectors with a high temp, clear, removable adhesive... a couple dollars apiece.
Get a dozen pack and replace when needed.

Last edited: