Question regarding P60 modules by Customlites

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a P60 module with really low mode and floody beam.
Currently I'm looking at this module.
There is a specification listed on the website, but I am questioning the spec in this regard
Levels available 1 - 3 - 4 - 5
High (100%)
High - Med - Low (100% - 30% - 5%)
moonlight- low- med- - high
low-med-high-strobe-SOS

Ok, now to the question
Levels available 1 - 3 - 4 - 5

Does that mean the module could be configured to have either 1, 3, 4 or 5 modes

High (100%)
High - Med - Low (100% - 30% - 5%)
moonlight- low- med- - high
low-med-high-strobe-SOS
I'm wondering how low is moonlight mode (should be less than 5 percent).

I'm looking for a module to use with Solarforce L2P, and expect to spend most of the time in single 123a rechargable mode. Or anyone might suggest any dropin with really low mode and floody beam?

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct, the module can be configured with different numbers of modes. Moonlight on some of his drop-ins is around 1% but I don't know if that is true for all of them.

Dave (a.k.a. Nailbender), the owner of Customlites, has a thread over in the "Custom & Modified Flashlights" section of the forum and is terrific about answering questions. I would suggest heading over there to get an answer from the man himself, or maybe find it somewhere in the thread.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider either one of the XM-L2 or Nichia 219 drop ins rather than the XP-G2 if you're looking for a floody drop in. The XP-G2 actually has a pretty tight hot spot, even with the orange peel reflector.

The XM-L2 will give you more output on the high modes and the Nichia will give you great color rendition but both will be floodier than the XP-G2.

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I finally decided to go with xpg2 neutral tint op reflector rated at 400 lumens because I afraid with XML due to being rated at 800 lumens won't let me achieve the low mode I want. While the nichia ones lacking moonlight mode. A bit of a bummer to learn that the xpg I got has tight beam. Hope all goes well. This gonna be my indoor light with flexibility of out door use if required.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G2 is a nice emitter. Although it provides a tighter beam than the XM-L, it still has quite a bit of flood, particularly with the OP reflector. Tight and floody are relative terms anyway. When compared to a smaller emitter such as the XP-E, the XP-G2 is very floody.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
have Dave change the led from the XP-G2 to an XM-L2 ...
.. You wanted "floody" and thus You will receive a main beam, that is about double the diameter to Xp-G

explanation:
You are a bit wrong on the "XM-L being rated at ..."
That is true, but that also needs a much higher current - a driver that is set differently.
But when You have Your driver (XP-G @ 400 lumen --> 1.4 A max power (?) ) that will be the same with any led, so the XM-L2 will give You the wide(r) beam You want, by the rest being as with the XP-G2
(low moonlight, same lumen, ...)

[edit]
while reading Your last post again, I think You got the whole thing wrongly ...
:thinking:
You choose the driver setting (levels, output)
and with that driver setting the led used ...
... when You can get the driver/insert chosen with an XP-G, You can also get it with a nichia, they feature about the same data
(even when I personally see no sense in the nichia, the XP-G is better - for me. But thats Your choice again)
[/edit]

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L2 is capable of 800 lumens, yes. But on moonlight mode, on a 1.4A driver it will be no brighter than an XP-G2. And it will be floodier due to the larger die.