Stand by for LED cop light "goodness"

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not in LE, but my overall requirements don't differ much from those who are, based on what I've observed and 'heard' from those who are, so I'll comment...

I believe that the ideal has historically been a '2-light solution'. We could use the Stinger and Strion as being loosely representative of the 2. I'm quite certain that if one were in the original 'concept' phase product meetings at SL for the Stinger 2020, one would find that a significant part of the 'Objectives and Requirements' doc and discussion involved an objective to, at least some extent, successfully provide a '1-light solution'; if not necessarily exclusively, at least so that one could, when convenient, move directly between the 2 roles without finding it necessary to switch from the one in one's hand to a different, second light in many situations.

That light may or may not succeed in meeting that objective in the market, because user acceptance (or lack thereof) may prevent that. That is largely due to the fact that the light is (of course) very different from either of the 2 'standards' we're accustomed to using. It's not 'your father's flashlight', nor is it like any other light that I (or most) previously owned and used, and using it requires time in use to adapt to. It is not a light which feels at all natural initially - nor did I expect it to, which is something many will find difficult. I have my 'ruts', but I've learned to be pretty adaptable though. Having worked through the adaptation process with that light personally (mostly, if not completely yet), I now find it a great light in practical use.

Doing that took effort. It spent the first 3-4 weeks sitting on my coffee table, and I picked it up and handled / play-'used' it often in spare moments. For the first week, it felt like a 'foreign object' when I picked it up. Only after several weeks of 'off-line' adaptation (one could call it practice), did I begin to say "yeah, I get this now". It never left the house or performed any serious duties during that time. I went from 'I get this now', to being comfortable using it in those ~4 weeks. Some might not require that process, but I did. Many are not flexible enough to adapt in that way, but I am, and did so, and I'm glad I did. Would the light work as a 1-light solution in LE? Based on my first weeks in the living room, I decided that to some degree it does, but I'm not in LE and that's not the 'real world'.

I'm afraid the primary target markets (at least some of them) for the light may not be predisposed to the sort of adaptation that I went through, so I'm not betting any money on its being successful. I'm not saying it will put my Strion away into retirement either, but in the time I've had it (since shortly after release), I do now consider it a highly useful, light, and I'm very glad I have it. No regrets buying that light. Due to its features aimed at providing a 1-light solution, plus a considerable number of innovative features engineered into its design, it will historically come to be seen as very innovative in a number of ways, even if it isn't a big seller.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really really want to like the 2020 Stinger. Maybe because 2020 was a dumpster fire of a year the name has been stuck in my psyche-e?

If there's ever a flashlight hall of fame the Stinger deserves a spot there.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger 2020

Would the light work as a 1-light solution in LE? Based on my first weeks in the living room, I decided that to some degree it does, but I'm not in LE and that's not the 'real world'.

I've not seen or handled the Stinger 2020, but from my observations, there isn't an effective carry solution available for belt carry.

I think that Streamlight would have been better off shortening the standard Stinger range by using the 21700 battery as its power pack, which could reduce the overall length by up to two inches, making it more belt carry friendly. It would almost double the runtime as well.

IMG_6229.jpeg

I still think that the Malkoff MD3 or Surefire 9P size of light is the idea size to always be on a duty, small enough to always be on the belt and long enough to tuck under your arm when required.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really really want to like the 2020 Stinger. Maybe because 2020 was a dumpster fire of a year the name has been stuck in my psyche-e?

If there's ever a flashlight hall of fame the Stinger deserves a spot there.

I'm not a LEO so I can't speak to the carry requirements, but I like it and it's my most used light by a long shot. I've spent hours every day crawling around with it. A lot of good there. It also has a few details I think are flawed--a little room for improvement. Doesn't keep it from being a really good light.

I've not seen or handled the Stinger 2020

I think that Streamlight would have been better off shortening the standard Stinger range by using the 21700 battery as its power pack

The Stinger 2020 uses two 18650s side by side, so actually shorter batteries than the 21700. But it ends up being just as long as the Stinger for other reasons. The head and reflector are much deeper, it has secondary tailcap switch, and (the biggest reason) there's dead space in the "neck" of the flashlight between the head and the battery compartment. That allows it to fit old Stinger chargers but it's not the best use of space.

They also went with a shorter battery for the Strion years ago. That's another take on making a smaller light with newer battery technology.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I saw the info-mercials about the 2020 it appeared as though they were aiming that one at auto mechanics, plumbers and the like.

The new 'color rite' version of the classic Stinger is maybe another version aimed at LEO.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
When I saw the info-mercials about the 2020 it appeared as though they were aiming that one at auto mechanics, plumbers and the like.

The new 'color rite' version of the classic Stinger is maybe another version aimed at LEO.
I like the idea of it, you get true color identification. However, I wont replace my duty light with one. Streamlight tends to have QC issues on every new run of light they come out with. Plus, I was issued a brand new Stinger DS last October and it has quite the life ahead of it.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I'm not in LE, but my overall requirements don't differ much from those who are, based on what I've observed and 'heard' from those who are, so I'll comment...

I believe that the ideal has historically been a '2-light solution'. We could use the Stinger and Strion as being loosely representative of the 2. I'm quite certain that if one were in the original 'concept' phase product meetings at SL for the Stinger 2020, one would find that a significant part of the 'Objectives and Requirements' doc and discussion involved an objective to, at least some extent, successfully provide a '1-light solution'; if not necessarily exclusively, at least so that one could, when convenient, move directly between the 2 roles without finding it necessary to switch from the one in one's hand to a different, second light in many situations.

That light may or may not succeed in meeting that objective in the market, because user acceptance (or lack thereof) may prevent that. That is largely due to the fact that the light is (of course) very different from either of the 2 'standards' we're accustomed to using. It's not 'your father's flashlight', nor is it like any other light that I (or most) previously owned and used, and using it requires time in use to adapt to. It is not a light which feels at all natural initially - nor did I expect it to, which is something many will find difficult. I have my 'ruts', but I've learned to be pretty adaptable though. Having worked through the adaptation process with that light personally (mostly, if not completely yet), I now find it a great light in practical use.

Doing that took effort. It spent the first 3-4 weeks sitting on my coffee table, and I picked it up and handled / play-'used' it often in spare moments. For the first week, it felt like a 'foreign object' when I picked it up. Only after several weeks of 'off-line' adaptation (one could call it practice), did I begin to say "yeah, I get this now". It never left the house or performed any serious duties during that time. I went from 'I get this now', to being comfortable using it in those ~4 weeks. Some might not require that process, but I did. Many are not flexible enough to adapt in that way, but I am, and did so, and I'm glad I did. Would the light work as a 1-light solution in LE? Based on my first weeks in the living room, I decided that to some degree it does, but I'm not in LE and that's not the 'real world'.

I'm afraid the primary target markets (at least some of them) for the light may not be predisposed to the sort of adaptation that I went through, so I'm not betting any money on its being successful. I'm not saying it will put my Strion away into retirement either, but in the time I've had it (since shortly after release), I do now consider it a highly useful, light, and I'm very glad I have it. No regrets buying that light. Due to its features aimed at providing a 1-light solution, plus a considerable number of innovative features engineered into its design, it will historically come to be seen as very innovative in a number of ways, even if it isn't a big seller.
Stingers are issued to anyone who works in the public safety field because the agencies buy what ever has a decent cost within budget and generally based upon other department recommendations. We are issued stingers because they are cheap and we have chargers mounted in our offices. Granted the lights that are mounted in the cars are a mixed back depending on how old the car is. Some cars have mag chargers, some pelican 8060s and some SL20XPs. I was issued a really old stinger back in the day (2006) with an incan bulb that I still use to this day because they are tough as nails and you can stick them under your arm when you make contact with someone. I have tried the P60 sized lights and the strion sized, you end up dropping them. Which if you have traffic whizzing past, that's really bad. I know the state police in my area are issued a pelican 7610 (I think its the model number) which is basically a LED 9P that runs on multifuel. CR123, AA and 18650s.

Meliodas65

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry stingers on duty but switched to Fenix lights starting with the PD35. This was replaced by the PD36 and now the PD36 Pro. The reason I do not carry Streamlights anymore is the charging cradles. I know some now have USB-C charging, but before this became standard, it was far easier for me to carry my cell phone charger and a single cell charger like the Klarus. And extra batteries were easy to find and carry. I pair this with a PD 25R for a pocket light for smaller tasks. I also carry a report light that clips on to my lapel or pocket for writing at night. I still carry the older lights as backups and to loan out when necessary.

Another reason I switched away from Streamlights is the UI is not as intuitive as the Fenix and they are a bit more cumbersome. I carry lights off duty as well and my off duty carry does not have a light on it for concealability. By carrying the light on my off side, I can still use it on my support hand for a weapon light because of the tail switch. The Streamlight is a little harder to do that with as well as harder for an everyday carry.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I used to carry stingers on duty but switched to Fenix lights starting with the PD35. This was replaced by the PD36 and now the PD36 Pro. The reason I do not carry Streamlights anymore is the charging cradles. I know some now have USB-C charging, but before this became standard, it was far easier for me to carry my cell phone charger and a single cell charger like the Klarus. And extra batteries were easy to find and carry. I pair this with a PD 25R for a pocket light for smaller tasks. I also carry a report light that clips on to my lapel or pocket for writing at night. I still carry the older lights as backups and to loan out when necessary.

Another reason I switched away from Streamlights is the UI is not as intuitive as the Fenix and they are a bit more cumbersome. I carry lights off duty as well and my off duty carry does not have a light on it for concealability. By carrying the light on my off side, I can still use it on my support hand for a weapon light because of the tail switch. The Streamlight is a little harder to do that with as well as harder for an everyday carry.
We got charging cradles mounted in our cars and offices, so its less likely for me to burn out a light. But hey what ever works best for you. I know foot beat guys that run lights that run USB C because they keep a battery pack in their vest so they can charge on the fly. I dont personally have that problem.