Gloves for earthquake preparation

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I live in an earthquake zone and am seeking a couple of pairs of gloves to throw into my bug-out bag in case I have climb over concrete and rebar. They don't have to be expensive, just something to protect from sharp objects. Water resistant may also be nice, I had some before that got really slippery when wet. Perhaps something anti-electric shock may also be nice.

Thanks!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
First priority will be cut-resistant. I have some nice puncture-resistant gloves - It's a strange synthetic by "HexArmor" brand that feels like lined leather, but it takes about 20 lb of force to stick a Diabetes test needle through it. For practicality and effectiveness for cost, you can't beat the grip-silicone lined 'cut-resist' gloves. They're yellow or gray, about $5/pair at most hardware stores.

We use them at work for people using razors and scissors around fabric. They are pretty resistant to scraping and slicing, but it's knit. Small pins and points will get through. I used similar gloves for climbing concrete and metal structures in college.

I really like a 3 pack of synthetic gloves from home depot. They come red, yellow and gray for about $10 a pack. Super lightweight and good wear resistance, and cheap enough that you can stash a pair everywhere.

Here is the SKU:
[h=2][/h][h=1]Firm Grip High Dex Glove (3-Pack)
[/h]Model # 3101-96
[h=2] Internet # 202203753[/h] [h=2] Store SKU # 905999[/h]

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Anything will be better than nothing. Mechanics gloves from any home improvement/hardware store will offer good protection for climbing, working etc. However, the all leather work or gardening gloves will be better, IMO. I prefer the deer-skin ones since they're more supple, break in quicker, and aid dexterity. The only downside to all leather gloves is when they get wet. Take forever to dry out, and crappy ones don't work as well when soaked. The synthetic gloves put up with being soaked better, and work better (usually) for fine motor tasks.

However, if you anticipate dealing with fire or any hot objects, you're better off with simple, all leather gloves, IMO. All the synthetic material gloves will melt to your skin, unless they're specifically fire-resistant, and those are more expensive. While you may not be in burning buildings, even just working around a campfire can cause problems.

I don't know about the cut resistant gloves, since I don't own any. I've been happy with the leather work gloves for cut-resistance, when gardening and camping.

The importance of gloves just can't be over-stated, especially in emergency situations. Along with boots, a hat, and eye-protection, they're essential, IMO.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
First priority will be cut-resistant. I have some nice puncture-resistant gloves - It's a strange synthetic by "HexArmor" brand that feels like lined leather, but it takes about 20 lb of force to stick a Diabetes test needle through it. For practicality and effectiveness for cost, you can't beat the grip-silicone lined 'cut-resist' gloves. They're yellow or gray, about $5/pair at most hardware stores.

We use them at work for people using razors and scissors around fabric. They are pretty resistant to scraping and slicing, but it's knit. Small pins and points will get through. I used similar gloves for climbing concrete and metal structures in college.

Thanks for this. I went through HexArmor's website to get a feel for what I need, but they have so many products! And most of them are over $5/pair. Can you be more specific as to which family of gloves I should be looking at? Thanks!!

Thanks to the others also for their feedback. I don't think I will be building a camp fire where I am, it's a concrete jungle. I'd worry setting off a fire may cause a natural gas explosion or something. But your feedback on leather gloves and synethic materials is well noted.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this. I went through HexArmor's website to get a feel for what I need, but they have so many products! And most of them are over $5/pair. Can you be more specific as to which family of gloves I should be looking at? Thanks!!

Thanks to the others also for their feedback. I don't think I will be building a camp fire where I am, it's a concrete jungle. I'd worry setting off a fire may cause a natural gas explosion or something. But your feedback on leather gloves and synethic materials is well noted.

My HexArmor gloves were about $50. Well worth it to me when I was working with barbed wire. I do not remember the model I have, though. I am attached to my fingers - My mom gave them to me!

The cheaper 'cut resistant' gloves are knit Kevlar. They resist cutting, but are not especially resistant to small puncturing things. That is, they would turn a stab (Scissors, rebar) into a small cut and a bruise. Pretty neat, and a great compromise among price,dexterity, and durability.

Click for an Amazon search for cut resistant glove. Ones like those should be useful to you. The grip isn't quite as good as nylon knit mechanic gloves, but still good enough to tie shoelaces.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
In a cold climate I would suggest second hand leather gloves with a warm lining. They can be found in army dump stores or via the internet. They have many advantages:
Cheap. Offer protection to cutting, and wear from sharp stones, blister prevention.
Protection from heat, sparks and fire. They can be made waterproof with some sort of greasy leather maintenance product without disturbing their ability to vent out evaporated sweat.

In a warmer climate you could consider thick synthetic rubber-like gloves or cotton gloves with suede leather pads on the gripping surfaces. These are both lightweigth. Or leather bicycle gloves without finger tips for fine handling of small objects.

For first aid, gloves must be thin, wear proof and water tight and large sized enough for quick deployment.

Last edited:

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I live in an earthquake zone and am seeking a couple of pairs of gloves to throw into my bug-out bag in case I have climb over concrete and rebar. They don't have to be expensive, just something to protect from sharp objects. Water resistant may also be nice, I had some before that got really slippery when wet. Perhaps something anti-electric shock may also be nice.
To protect from electric schock, you need dry(!) gloves and shoes, thick synthetic rubber gloves, and shoes or boots with synthetic soles.