Are you guys afraid of the dark? What is the brightest EDC available?

matlocc

Newly Enlightened
I am just getting the bug and I am looking at a thrunite tn 30 but it is a bit large for edc. Any suggestions for something with high output and variable?

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Personally I don't fear the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man and then it was nothing to me but blinding.

Define variable. Do you mean a true variable output like a Sunwayman where you can have ramp up the output, or something that has a large number of balanced outputs.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... I think I am afraid of the dark, and that's why I like sub-/low- lumens the most.

valravn

Newly Enlightened
If you like Nitecore, check out their SRT series. different model sizes, with different reflectors, and different batteries. they all have a magnetic control ring that lets you dim gapless and very easy. i got the SRT7 (which is a bit large for an EDC, more like a "tactical" light), i bought my dad an srt5 for christmas (which has EDC size IMHO). both are very good. depending on model they have between 700 to about 900 lumen which is all very bright.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously though, these days there's hundreds of different options, you'll get better suggestions if you can define what you want to use the light for, and specify things like price, batt, size, throw, etc. There's a checklist sticky above as a starter.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I am just getting the bug and I am looking at a thrunite tn 30 but it is a bit large for edc. Any suggestions for something with high output and variable?

EDC means EVERY DAY CARRY
Size is the greatest limiting factor for most people regarding what they will carry everyday.

Most people who do carry every day, carry a single AA light or smaller.
Those who carry a larger light as an EDC, usually do so because they use a light "on the job" or otherwise as a tool at work, (such as an electrician).

Slightly larger than most single cell AA lights, but much more powerful, are the cigar sized, small frame/body style 18650 lights, such as the "D (daily carry) series" eagletac D25LC2, the Convoy S2, or Fenix PD32. There are others, but the point is that the head and tube is essentially the same diameter, and less than an inch. ~ 24mm.

Somewhat larger yet, are the P60 hosts, such as the Solarforce L2 series of lights, where the head is ~ 32mm / 1.25 inch in diameter. It seems that the largest percentage of people who EDC a P60 host or larger, also carry a gun, or carry it for work.

----------------------------------------------

I'd suggest that you look at these lights, determine what size you are willing to EDC, THEN ask questions. It seems that you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

Last edited:

JME.

Newly Enlightened
Really good points poppy.

I would just add that the next considerations should be the type of interface (for example I prefer rear clicky switches) and how you want to carry (pocket, belt, keychain, etc) when you find the light that meets brightness/size/interface/type of carry, you are in the sweet spot.

"I'm just a witness"

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly good advice here. You could go very small. For daytime EDC, I always have a MBI HF but for years, carried a Photon ReX (discontinued). The Photon Freedom is very useful for brief use, indoors, or looking under a hood of a car where it is dark. The Photon (LRI) warranty is seriously good. Just got back a replacement for a very used ReX where the switch wore out.

At night, I EDC (ENightC) a compact single 18650 (right now, a Nitecore P12) with the MBI HF as backup.

matlocc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I guess being new I don't know all of the lingo yet. (I have read the sticky) Cost does not matter, but I don't want it to b the cost of vacation after I get batteries and a charger! I am looking for something that I can use for blood tracking when hunting, lighting up a large area when traveling in unfamiliar territory at night and something in between. I guess EDC wasn't what I was talking about. I don't need it in my pocket all day, possibly in a backpack or jacket pocket.
THIS FORUM HAS SO MUCH INFORMATION I AM A BIT TAKEN BACK!
I think that I may be going for too much power but I am a lot like TIM THE TOOL MAN TAYLOR! I want something that will light up the area enough to find firewood and then use it to start my fire!!!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- The dark is afraid of us.

- A lighter that would be powerful enough to light an area would be wasteful and unwieldy, as would be a flashlight that could start a fire.

- Define the application and then choose the tool, not the other way around.

matlocc

Newly Enlightened
With 6500 posts StarHalo, I stand in your shadow! (What light are you using!) I guess I want the best all around light for a bearable price. Heck I didn't even know about the battery sizes after AAA, AA, C and D until I got here! No idea about protected batteries and that. I grew up with a plastic red flashlight that you had to bang in your hand to make it work. Until the batteries leaked in it and you couldn't use it because the switch fell off when the white stuff ate the metal.
Again feinix, surefire, Nitecore et.., kind of like hunting stuff, everyone has their favorite.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Heck I didn't even know about the battery sizes after AAA, AA, C and D until I got here! No idea about protected batteries and that.

Lithium-Ion batteries are the same kind of cells found in laptop computers, you're going to eventually encounter them if you want a very bright flashlight as they have much greater power density than anything sold at your local store. That also means they can explode if mishandled; be sure to thoroughly read up on proper safety and handling procedures before attempting to use these batteries.

I grew up with a plastic red flashlight that you had to bang in your hand to make it work. Until the batteries leaked in it and you couldn't use it because the switch fell off when the white stuff ate the metal.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries have resolved that problem, no swelling or leaking, no slow weakening over time, and you just buy the actual batteries themselves once every few years. Find them at your local stores under the Sanyo Eneloop name.

(What light are you using!)

Zebralight SC600; it's a hundred bucks, so it'll be a while before you view that one as an option. Fenix and Foursevens are good places to start looking for inexpensive first-serious-light options.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not entirely pocketable (pocket light) look at the medium sized/medium distance throwers that run off of either 3, 4 or even 8 AA, such as the Sanyo Eneloops that SH mentions.

NiteCore EA4 ($55ish shipped)

JetBeam SRA40 ($95ish shipped)

EagleTac GX25A3 ($95ish shipped)

Sunwayman D40A ($80ish shipped)

Fenix TK-41 ($130ish shipped)

These lights run on ubiquitous AA batteries and work really well on the rechargeable NiMH types, that you'll want anyway vs. the alkaleaks.

There are other smaller, more slender lights to consider, like the Fenix PD32/PD35, NiteCore P12, EagleTac D25C2 and something like the ZebraLight SC-600 mkII, but these either use lithium-ion cells, or 2xCR123A photo batteries and these two power sources can be a bit more involving, or expensive, or even both.

They listed lights above offer bigger ~40mm diameter heads, so the reflectors can be deeper/wider, for better throw, they can pump up the lumens to that mid 850-1000LM level, most have variable modes, strobes, SOS and beacons, so they're flexible and while a bit fatter in the palm, I carried my D40A in my pocket last Friday and it wasn't exactly a gold bar, so doable.

The next form factor in that mid-level range, takes shape with a broader, wider head and longer more slender handles, which need to be carried on a belt, or in hand. Throw might be a bit longer, but not a whole lot.

Google Klarus XT-30 or JetBeam BC40, if you want, to see what I'm talking about.

Chris

Poppy

Flashaholic
I am looking for something that I can use for blood tracking when hunting, lighting up a large area when traveling in unfamiliar territory at night and something in between. <snip> I want something that will light up the area enough to find firewood

I don't know much about tracking, but I think that a neutral white tint with a floody beam will be what will serve you best.
I think that you should be looking for a light with an XML or XM-L2 emitter with a neutral tint.

At this point there can be arguments made for single AA lights and low lumen usage, and they'll be valid arguments. I don't want to discount them, but my night vision is not what it used to be, so I generally like more light.

I'd like to suggest that you get a good set of 18650 batteries and a good charger, and a LARGE Pocket Carry light,
Convoy S2 Cree XM-L T5-5C 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight.
It is a small head, XML emitter and the T5-5C tint should be good for tracking.
Get it driven at 1400 ma, and on low (about 35 lumens), it'll run for about 40 hours at mid about 7 hours. and a couple hours on high.
The light is less than $16 at fasttech
I think that it is a great light, but it will give you a great starting point to see if you want more or less light, or a different beam profile.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to suggest that you get a good set of 18650 batteries and a good charger, and a LARGE Pocket Carry light,
Convoy S2 Cree XM-L T5-5C 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight.
It is a small head, XML emitter and the T5-5C tint should be good for tracking.
Get it driven at 1400 ma, and on low, it'll run for about 40 hours at mid about 7 hours. and a couple hours on high.
The light is less than $16 at fasttech
I think that it is a great light, but it will give you a great starting point to see if you want more or less light, or a different beam profile.

Well, call me a Convoy fanboy.

I just ordered their S2 2.8A T5-5C, their M1 2.8A U2-1B and their M2 2.8A T6-3C, along with a pair of authentic (at least they're honest in their descriptions!) LG D1 4.35v 18650s. All four items shipped, $69.17 from FT with the 5% 'CPF' coupon code.

I saved $7 on the LGs, which I was going to buy anyway, vs. my guy here in the States, so call it $62 out the door.

I was a little iffy on the 2.8A vs. 2.1A vs. 1.4A vs. 1A, so being a 'merican, I went with the 'bigger is always better' philosophy.

Don't know when they'll get here, but for $69, I get three well reviewed lights with vastly differing tints and a pair of interesting cells to fiddle with once the SP1, or VP2 hit the streets.

Variety is the spice of life, I guess?

What's up with running 2xCR123As? They don't mention voltage specs, but since they don't mention that they're usable, I'll assume that, like my ZL SC-600, 4.2v is the max?

Thanks for the tip.

Chris

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well, call me a Convoy fanboy.

I just ordered their S2 2.8A T5-5C, their M1 2.8A U2-1B and their M2 2.8A T6-3C, along with a pair of authentic (at least they're honest in their descriptions!) LG D1 4.35v 18650s. All four items shipped, $69.17 from FT with the 5% 'CPF' coupon code.

I was a little iffy on the 2.8A vs. 2.1A vs. 1.4A vs. 1A, so being a 'merican, I went with the 'bigger is always better' philosophy.

Chris

Chris, from what I have read, the S2 driven at higher than 1400 ma gets hot quickly, especially when driven at 2.8A.

Mine is driven at 1400 ma, and I use low and medium more than high. I'm thinking of getting one driven at 1000 ma., for no particular reason. I guess one driven at 2.8 would be a pocket rocket :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, from what I have read, the S2 driven at higher than 1400 ma gets hot quickly, especially when driven at 2.8A.

Mine is driven at 1400 ma, and I use low and medium more than high. I'm thinking of getting one driven at 1000 ma., for no particular reason. I guess one driven at 2.8 would be a pocket rocket :)

I can see that being the case with the smaller form factor and lack of any real 'cooling fins,' so I might have tempered my choice, but 'oh well?' I'll just run it on low and see what I see. My Xeno E03 with naked Sanyo 14500 starts smoking on HIGH, so I can live with that in short bursts.

It dipped to below 50*F last night, so a nice hand warmer is in order, while out smoking a cigar on the patio!

Thanks, Chris

EdFromOhio

Newly Enlightened
I carry a TrustFire Mini-02. It uses the 16340/CR123 battery and puts out a serious amount of light. The one thing I hate about it is it's a twistie and often turns itself on if it's in my pocket. It replaced a similar looking Q5 that put out less light but did have a tail switch which I greatly preferred.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for a small, single CR123A light which could take a Li-Ion 16340 and I found the Olight i1. Got that in Stainless Steel and Im really content with it. On high it is rather bright and you have to be cautions not to drive it at maximum brightness for too long as it will get hot. The i1 drives the XM-L rather hard on maximum brightness so you get a tiny single-16340-twisty-sized Pocket-Rocket ;).

rayman